Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.5x55 with Lee tl230-5r and Trail Boss?

Boolit Bub

7.5x55 with Lee tl230-5r and Trail Boss?

Hi guys, anyone here ever loaded the lee tl230-5r in a 7.5x55 (or .308 for that matter) with Trail Boss? I searched and it looks like its been done w/ 7grs of Titegroup, and I've seen Unique on other forums, but I've become interested in using Trail Boss for some reduced loads and I have a bunch of the 230gr bullets ready to go. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Actually, while I'm at it. Any of you guys make reduced loads for the 8x52R Siamese by any chance?

Boolit Buddy
    If you are fortunate enough to have one of the 1911's or 96/11's with the 23cm. twist it may well stabilize, but you may have to kick it up to 1400-1600 fps.

Boolit Master

remember.. if you can't find load specific data for trail boss, you can always use the manufacturers recomendation of 70% - 100% fill of FREE space under projectile, NO compressed loads.

I have had excellent results with Trailboss and the 247gr NOE whisper bullet in several different cartridges.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=136086

The tl230 5r isn't the best candidate for the swiss, I had 1 that wouldn't shoot it and a 2cd that shot it well with it just barely in the case mouth. It was so bad I could actually wiggle the bullet in the case, but maybe that's what helped it. Even though the swiss is tight throat the 5r has a hard time reaching the rifling, it also has a very short bearing surface. This makes it hard for the 5r to get a true start down the pipe and then it needs to be pushed harder because of the slow twist.
    Hope this helps. It was my conclusion.

Boolit Buddy
    There were more than 15,000 Schmidt-Rubins with a very fast 1/9.055(23cm.) twist. I have a 96/11 and a 1911 with the fast barrel. You have to check the twist on the rifle you are intending to buy...........................

Boolit Bub
    Hey thanks for all the great info guys,

remember.. if you can't find load specific data for trail boss, you can always use the manufacturers recomendation of 70% - 100% fill of FREE space under projectile, NO compressed loads.
    Yeah, 70% is where I'm going to start, don't worry, I've heard quite a bit about evils of compressed trail boss, I won't be going down that road.

I have had excellent results with Trailboss and the 247gr NOE whisper bullet in several different cartridges.
    Thats a really cool thread, Its nice to know that it is possible to make heavy bullets shoot in the K31!

The tl230 5r isn't the best candidate for the swiss, I had 1 that wouldn't shoot it and a 2cd that shot it well with it just barely in the case mouth. It was so bad I could actually wiggle the bullet in the case, but maybe that's what helped it. Even though the swiss is tight throat the 5r has a hard time reaching the rifling, it also has a very short bearing surface. This makes it hard for the 5r to get a true start down the pipe and then it needs to be pushed harder because of the slow twist.
    Hope this helps. It was my conclusion.
    I can get rifling engagement with my K31 without an extreme overall length, so thats hopeful, Your right, I am concerned about the other issues you mentioned, but I guess I will have to just load it up and see. I will try to get some results and share them in the next couple weeks.

[QUOTEI can get rifling engagement with my K31 without an extreme overall length, so thats hopeful, Your right, I am concerned about the other issues you mentioned, but I guess I will have to just load it up and see. I will try to get some results and share them in the next couple weeks.][/QUOTE]

You must have 1 of the larger 5r molds that I've read others talking about lee put out because my k31's have a good throat at 7.53 as check with swiss pin gauges and my 5r will barely touch them although it did touch my G1911 better that was throated for the older bullet, but wouldn't shoot it.

Boolit Bub
    You must have 1 of the larger 5r molds that I've read others talking about lee put out because my k31's have a good throat at 7.53 as check with swiss pin gauges and my 5r will barely touch them although it did touch my G1911 better that was throated for the older bullet, but wouldn't shoot it.
    Now thats interesting, I have heard complaints of undersized driving bands and whatnot, mine actually drops them pretty fat with WDWW, like .312-313. I wonder if the nose isn't a couple thousandths large too, and that makes the difference. I definitely wouldn't expect it to be much of a difference between two K31s, now if we were talking about two Mosins.....

I think my bands were 309. I don't use it anymore. I shoot supers in my 300bo and have no need for it. There much better choices for the k31, lee 312 155 has been a favorite with sub moa accuracy. So the 5r is collecting dust.

Here's 5 shots with the lee 155. The 5th is just about always the flyer, LLA lube purge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails asset.jpg  
    Last edited by 1johnlb; 01-09-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Its all about the twist! If you shoot the 5R in the K31 the bullets will probably tumble going thru the target. The K31 has the 27cm.(1 /10.6) twist) The only rifles having the 1/9.05 twist were some of the 1911's and the 96/11's. Have a great day...............................

Boolit Buddy
    Dang I wish I could find one of the 1-9" Swiss rifles.

For a data point, I use 13gr TB with a Lapua B416 fmj in my suppressed K31 for a sub load.
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master
    I have gotten the NOE 230 gr bullet to work in a Mosin with its 1-9.5 twist.

I haven't used the 230 Lee tl in the 7.5x55 but what my 96/11 does favor is 15 grains of blue dot and the Lyman 311334 bullet sized to .309. In fact I was on the range this morning, the combo produced a nice 1-1/4" five shot group @100 yards. Fine rifle those Schmidt rubin's are.

Quote Originally Posted by iuvenal View Post
    Actually, while I'm at it. Any of you guys make reduced loads for the 8x52R Siamese by any chance?
    If 25 grns 4198 is considered a reduced load, I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by iuvenal View Post
    Not the 8x52R but with the 8x56R. 10 grs Trailboss and 270 grain plain based Lovern sized .334" gives 1000 fps, 12 grs of Unique gives about 1100 fps and slightly better accuracy.
    Charter Member #148