Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: First score of WW's from tire shop

Boolit Buddy

First score of WW's from tire shop

I've been considering casting bullets for a while. Been lurking here and getting valuable information.

On a whim I stopped at a local tire shop on Friday and asked if they had any wheel weights they wanted to part with. The man told me to drive around back and they'd load me up. I ended up getting about two five gallon buckets full. I'm not sure exactly because I had to dump them into several smaller buckets to be able to carry them. I ran out of room in my small car. I gave the man a $20, he looked stunned that someone would actually pay for them. I asked what kind of beer he likes and told him I'd be back for the rest with cold beer and cash in hand.

I've melted the WW's down into ingots and came up with 199.25 lbs. I did some weighing early on and found that nearly 75% were lead, pretty good ratio from what I've read here. I don't have casting equipment yet, I'm gonna stockpile for a while first. I'm going back first thing tomorrow morning and try to clean them out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170101_115509 (640x553).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	184077
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_140259 (640x370).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	184078

So, who likes corn on the cob?

Pretty neat find. I kept looking at the lead and kept thinking it looks like corn. How much does an ear weigh?

Boolit Buddy
    I found the cast iron corn muffin pan at a local flea market, it was well rusted and makes 7 ears at a time. If I fill them full they weigh just over 1 pound.

In Remembrance

I see those ear corn corn bread molds show up quite frequently in a local on line auction. They usually go for about $10 or less. Good stop at that place and asking about weights.Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Nice job! I use both corn and ingot moulds for mine.

Good score, take care of that fella!
    Now while waiting on the casting supplies you can get some yellow Powder Coat and practice that too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good score! And a good way to secure that place as a source. I've used corncob molds in the past and I'm thinking they weigh more than a pound, like 2 or even 2-1/2 pounds. Being long, they are easy to put in the pot.

Powder coat some of those with a nice corn yellow. Great picnic table weights and the lead won't oxidize.
    A piece of plywood with several dozen nails, will support them in your oven.

Welcome, and a good score you've found.

What part of the state are you in?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Powder coat some of those with a nice corn yellow. Great picnic table weights and the lead won't oxidize.
    A piece of plywood with several dozen nails, will support them in your oven.
    Ha Ha!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats a good score! And a good way to secure that place as a source. I've used corncob molds in the past and I'm thinking they weigh more than a pound, like 2 or even 2-1/2 pounds. Being long, they are easy to put in the pot.
    The flea market where I found the cast iron corn bread pans had 2 or 3 sizes, I went with the smaller one. I wish I'd have bought more of them, they only wanted $5 each. I was also able to get a 5 quart cast iron dutch (no lid) oven for $5.

Went back to see if they had more wheel weights and they didn't, but the man did take my phone number and said he'd call when they get another bucket full.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    What part of the state are you in?

Slim
    Out in west Texas.

Boolit Grand Master

Cold beer goes a long way when getting in good with local tire men . Keep them supplied and they will remember you.
    Your cornbread stick moulds are cool.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I had a good score this week, 285 lbs of coww after I hand sorted out the fe, zn and other junk which included a dozen new box cutter blades.
    We really need to pay attention to what is in the bucket when hand sorting.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good score from the flea market. You do need more molds though. After a few cycles the mold gets hot and you have to wait for it to cool.

Buckets of wheelweights do have some nasty stuff in them sometimes. Razor blades are common because they are used to scrape the inspection stickers off of windshields and are also used to cut a leaky plug off in order to patch the tire. I built this box to dump mine into for sorting. I'll sit on a milk crate and pick through the weights and being spread out makes it easier to sort. The edge is also thick enough to park a beer or bottle of water on!

The box is 2ft X 4ft and is made from 2 X 12's. Any way to spread them out helps, even on the tail gate of your truck.

Wow, that's a great find, congratulations!!

Nice score!

when I sort my ww's I take the bucket and dump a pile about 6-7 feet long, 10-12 inches wide and about 2 layers deep, I sit on a milk crate with 3 buckets across from me,CO'S, SO'S, and zinc/iron ww's, and pick my way from one end to the next and repeat. it is the most efficient and fast way I have found of doing it.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.