Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: FL pistol dies for 310?

Boolit Buddy

FL pistol dies for 310?

Deleted
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 04-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.

It is my understanding that the full length resizing dies were made for use with the Lyman Tru-Line press, but that it is generally possible to use them in the 310 tool, but requires a lot of effort to operate the handles. There is a problem with the decapping pin being too long for the 310 and it has to be adjusted so as not to bend and break it. I've loaded lots of .38 Spec. on the 310, but I do the decapping and resizing on a bench press using conventional dies, the repriming and bullet seating on the 310 tool when convenient to do it away from my shop. Most of my tools were bought used and are older and are neck sizers only.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    It is my understanding that the full length resizing dies were made for use with the Lyman Tru-Line press, but that it is generally possible to use them in the 310 tool, but requires a lot of effort to operate the handles. There is a problem with the decapping pin being too long for the 310 and it has to be adjusted so as not to bend and break it. I've loaded lots of .38 Spec. on the 310, but I do the decapping and resizing on a bench press using conventional dies, the repriming and bullet seating on the 310 tool when convenient to do it away from my shop. Most of my tools were bought used and are older and are neck sizers only.
    ^^^ DITTO ^^^

If you wanted to try:
    1st - adjust the de-capping pin to just pop all the primers 1st
    2nd - lube the case really good
    3rd - size the case

I wouldn't attempt this with anything but steel handled tools, or you may end up breaking the handle.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

I mentioned those times away from the shop when it's convenient to use the 310? Sometimes here in front of the computer I multi-task by priming and seating. But I pre-prep the brass as stated. You'll find doing the FL sizing (lubed) of about 100 cases with the 310 to be a learning experience that involves smashing your knuckles together a couple of times and sore shoulders later! Of course you don't want any distractions when charging the cases. Also, I like the Lee Factory Crimp on the bench press better than the one the 310 provides, so that gets done in the shop also. Just from my experience, where the 310 really shines is at the range when developing a load for an individual rifle where neck sizing is all that's needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Deleted
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 04-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buckshot Bill,

I try to hit a happy medium by batch de-capping and sizing a bunch of brass on my single stage press using carbide dies. Then I can perform the rest of the reloading steps on whatever size batch of ammo I need/want at the time using a 310 tool or even my TruLine Jr. This works well for me, YMMV!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    I was wondering if there were compatible full length sizing die for pistol calibers
    The short answer is no. While it is true that FL dies intended for the TruLine Jr. press will screw into the 310 handles, the effort required to FL size with the 310 is considerable and has resulted in broken handles. Additionally, the extractor hook will not maintain contact with the FL sized case's rim through a great enough distance to ensure the complete extraction of the case from the die - the case will be stuck in the die, and at best will be difficult to remove.

You might want to be on the lookout for the Ideal FL sizing dies - designed to be used in an arbor press, a vise, or even with a mallet - similar to the Lee "whack-a-mole" tool. They show up quite often on auction sites, and can be picked up for not a lot of change.
    Attachment 184149Attachment 184150Attachment 184151

Jim

Boolit Master

When I'm doing more than neck sizing, I use my TL Jr for pistol cartridges and my EZY loader for my rifle cartridges.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Even though I didn't mention them, I too have the push through dies for my favorite calibers, especially the revolver and pistol rounds for which they would be most needed. I even made a purpose-built arbor press that is used to be more precise... besides, it looks cool on the bench!

To be honest though, I don't use them very much at all. I will say that I "shopped" for them and acquired all of my calibers I needed for $5-15 each. I've got 32-20, 38/357, 44 Spl/Mag and 45 (ACP & Colt both) but it took a while.

Froggie

PS I'm still in the market for a 32 S&W long, but I'm afraid I'll have to make my own, maybe as a 327 Fed Mag, which Lyman never made, of course!
    "It aint easy being green!"