Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel MediaWisconsin Trigger
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Graf & SonsLee Precision

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY 100 pound pot/master caster

Does your cad software run on DOS?
    Yes, it's old as heck the files are HPGL, torch on/off is pin up/down commands.

Very nice. Wish I had room for something like that.

Boolit Master
    BIG-little update

The other day, I added a lever to the spru plate for the 30 cal mold. I was trying to figure out where I wanted the pins to activate the plate but wasn't sure if the setup was even going to work right. The only way to find out is to fire it up and try it. The little plastic hammer I use for my hand molds was on the shelf waiting for a workout, so I dropped some ingots of range scrap in the pot and heated it up.

This was a brand new NOE brass mold and I had not cleaned it or heat cycled it. That is a bunch of work. Instead, I cleaned it with a qtip and brake cleaner and lubed it then hit it with a propane torch. It took a while to get it to run. After a number of tries, I used brake cleaner to get the excess oil out of the cavities and cranked the pot up to 850 degrees. Eventually, some decent boolits came out. This alloy likely needed some tin added to it but I didn't want to sweeten the pot until I knew it would run. Enlarging the primary spout by 1/32nd of an inch helped but the flow was just adequate with the valve adjustment raised up. There was only 2-3" of lead in the pot, so I won't drill the spout just yet. When I get it half full or so, the flow will increase. The arms for the mold carrier needed lube to move freely. The heat made them stick.

Below is what I have. The GC shanks are plenty big and are a bit of a pain to get the hornady copper checks on and even the aluminum checks from a person here. Hopefully it won't slow me down on sizing. The heater was not turned on for the RCBS LAM I, and it has Cred in it, so very little lube ended up on those two boolits.

Now, I can make a basket and figure out pins to work the spru plate. It was really nice not holding the mold in my hand and will be better when I don't have to work the spru plate. Automation is in it's future.

Boolit Master
    Those are some fine looking projectiles right there, well done!

Glad it's all coming together as you had hoped, and its producing some great projectiles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234