MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making ignots from sheet lead.

Boolit Mold

Making ignots from sheet lead.

I purchased about 200 lbs of sheet lead (it was removed from a doctors office). Would like to melt down and pour into my Lyman mold. I did purchase the Lyman Big Dipper pot. Just not sure on what and how to do. There is some sort of glue (thin layer) on one side of the sheet lead, do I try to scrap it off? Do I need to add other alloys? Any help will be appreciated and start my journey to casting boolits.

Boolit Master

I believe the sheet Lead will be close to pure Lead and you should probably keep it separate from your other Lead alloys and use it for making Slugs for your shotgun or Black Powder balls or to mix to make other alloys. As far as the glue goes, it should melt/burn off when you heat it up to make the ingots. Probably going to stink a bunch, so be sure to do the melting of the sheet Lead outdoors.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I'll just melt an pour. I do intend to cast slugs for my shotguns. Down the road I would like to cast my own boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    The lead is pure. Mine made blue and purple ingots. Melt it outside in a cast iron pot. Do not do it 8inside, the paint and adhesive is horrible stuff. I've never melted such nasty stuff before, stick ons are nowhere near the smell that came off my xray room sheeting.

Unless youre doing black powder balls you will need to alloy it.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Don't forget to flux it once or twice ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Every time I bring a load of sheet lead home: to the outdoors - cast iron pot and melt with a 30,000BTU propane torch that melts the lead quickly ...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I snip off enough of the sheet to roll up and fit the end into my pot. Use the propane torch on the roll as the pot is heating to quickly increase the pool of molten lead at the bottom of the pot, which will eat away at the rest of the roll, and subsequent rolls.

Do it outside. My sheet lead typically has a backing of tar or asphalt. I stay downwind and endeavor to set the tar on fire with the propane torch. Much less smoke comes out, and the heat increases the melting rate of the rolls.

I don't flux at this stage. Here is where the Rowell bottom pour ladle really shines. The #1 size is just enough for a Lyman, Ideal or SAECO ingot. Push the mass of burning goo out of the way, dip the ladle into the pot, and pour into the ingot mould. The Rowell will retain any crud, with the pure metal going from the bottom of the ladle into the ingot mould. Keep feeding rolls into the molten lead in the pot, keep the home fires burning, hope the wind is right and the neighbors are on vacation, and dip the ingots out with the Rowell when the pot gets full.

I've done 100 lbs (weighed at the scrapyard; maybe 93 ingots total) in my SAECO 20 pounder in four hours or so, including snipping and rolling. And jolly glad when I was finished.

Banned

you don't want to clean lead in your casting pot for a few reasons.

you'll want to clean this stuff up in the cast iron dutch oven out back.
    then ladle it into an ingot mold.
    there will be smoke and stink and stuff floating on top.
    fire will help.

Banned
    +1 on never smelting in your casting pot. If you don't have a large cast iron pot any large pot without nonstick coating will do in a pinch. The nastier the lead the more you flux. Sawdust is good (and free at big box store) cover the top with a thin coat and light on fire, when the fire is out then stir -stir-stir I like using Stainless Steel Skimmer Strainer Ladle Spoon http://www.ebay.com/itm/401077175587...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT then scoop out the crud. Beeswax or paraffin wax work the same way also. repeat at least 2X. If there's not a breeze then wear a mask.