Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with Alliant powders?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Well, you might as well go for 2400. There are a lot of guys here who say they haven't seen it in years and they'd probably appreciate the tip on where to get it.
    I was able to buy it twice during the shortage. And I don't even use it. It's out there and it can be found.

Boolit Buddy
    It's true. It exists. A few years ago I started seriously looking, online and local, and finally found some 2400 after a little over a year.

I found Unique and Bullseye after looking twice that long.

Finding a product every year or two leads me to consider that the manufacturer might not be serious anymore.

At the same time, I was able to find Hodgdon and IMR on a regular basis. That leads me to think that Hodgdon might just be a little more serious.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that Alliant pistol powders have been so scarce. It's forced me to branch out and become a more rounded handloader.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Banned

OK
    The search is on for 2400

Boolit Grand Master

I bought several pounds of it at the last gun show
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    2400 has been available in my area for some time.
    Even during the recent shortages it would show up intermittently at one or two local gun shops. Prices fluctuated widely but seem to have returned to pre-shortage levels although the highest priced shops have continued to charge mid-shortage levels. I truly don't know how they sell any when a few miles away the price is right around $19-20 for a 1lb container.

Boolit Buddy
    2400 and Unique are available in Central Texas. LGS has some but not everyday. Cabelas has nearly everything. I was so surprised the other day. They have a lot of most components. Unlike a month before the election. Just Sayin!
    Ed C

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    For sure Alliant is not getting out of the Powder business. They just sell most everything they produce, fast.
    Supply and demand. Oldest economic story there is.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I emailed, and got a phony response that they're cranking out powder like crazy.
    Who said it's a phony response?

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/faq.aspx

Why are your powders so hard to find?
    The unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition, powder and other reloading components has exceeded the industry's ability to keep product on the shelves at most retail outlets. In response to this industry-wide issue, we are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business.

Where can I find a dealer in my area that carries your products?
    Check out our Dealer Locator tool and search by your zip code or city and state.

My favorite FAQ:

I'd like to talk to an Alliant Powder representative. When should I call?
    We recently launched an improved phone system that ensures you speak with a live agent. Representatives are available to answer your calls between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. Call Toll Free 800-379-1732.

All that info in less than 30 seconds with google fu.

Dose LC use alot of there powders? because for how it looks that when there is a order for so much ammo for the mil. that is when Alliant powder start to not show up much. I know Scheels in Cedar Falls, Iowa Have there powder more then Cabelas in PDC, WI.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I watched the interview with Chris Hodgdon that was put up. In one part he explained how the powder was produced. Some think that a plant produces, say, 1,000lbs of several powders at a time in a continuous cycle. He said that is not how it works. A plant runs an entire production of a batch of one powder at a time then switches to a different one. If that one powder that was produced does not come around for another production cycle for another month then it's understandable that it would have been sent out to dealers, sold and not be on the shelves until the next run if production is high.

I had not thought of it but the last time I was in a Cabelas I saw the shelf full of powder. VV, AA etc but not much Alliant at all.

I think that after 8yrs of Obama the powder shortage will ease some and we will be able to find it a little easier.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    This might be the answer as to why it's so hard to find retail. The bulk of it is going for commercial ammo.

I seem to remember in one of the Power Factor interviews with Chris Hodgdon that they service the retail market before the commercial. That would explain a lot as to why some powder is more available than others.

Why are your powders so hard to find?
    The unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition, powder and other reloading components has exceeded the industry's ability to keep product on the shelves at most retail outlets. In response to this industry-wide issue, we are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Boolit Buddy
    Last year I ran a 2400 and AA#9 comparison test in my .357 Magnum handguns and rifles. The exact same charge of both listed powders produced near identical velocities. Accuracy only varied a minor bit between the two listed powders and I used the powder which gave the best accuracyu. Where I live in NE PA, I have not had any difficulty finding Alliant or Accurate powders. My test included all manor of cast bullets suitable for the .357 Magnum from 150 grain to 215 grain. Best accuracy in my tests were with intermediate weight boolets of 165 to 180 grains.

358 Win

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    Last year I ran a 2400 and AA#9 comparison test in my .357 Magnum handguns and rifles. The exact same charge of both listed powders produced near identical velocities. Accuracy only varied a minor bit between the two listed powders and I used the powder which gave the best accuracyu. Where I live in NE PA, I have not had any difficulty finding Alliant or Accurate powders. My test included all manor of cast bullets suitable for the .357 Magnum from 150 grain to 215 grain. Best accuracy in my tests were with intermediate weight boolets of 165 to 180 grains.

358 Win
    For 357 Magnum, sure. But AA#9 is not a friendly powder for light loads in large cases.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    For 357 Magnum, sure. But AA#9 is not a friendly powder for light loads in large cases.

-HF
    I have had no trouble with AA#9 and cast in the 8MM for one.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I have found ever more of the scarce powders showing up. H110, 2400, the Dot's, and Varget. But not always in quantity. Or not all in stock at the same time. Makes it hard to put together an online order that supplies "all your needs" in one shot. And instead of 8# jugs might end up with 1# jugs. But at the last gun show I saw 8# of Varget and was tempted but I have 10#'s in 1# jugs and too much to spend right at the holidays.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

It took me a long time to realize and believe it, but there's been an AWESOME increase in demand for powder, primers and bullets. The factories ARE churing at an all time high rate. Obama's plan called for the gov't to buy more 9mm and .40 ammo than they could really use, for more and more gov't agencies that are armed, and that took up some of it. The rest is just increased demand due to more and more folks FINALLY waking up and realizing that having and knowing how to use a gun really IS a "good idea" these days. Also, folks who already shot and reloaded were buying up more and more "stuff" against maybe its becoming unobtainable at some uncertain point. So ... demand has FAR more than doubled, and it did it almost overnight.

Add in the fact that anti-business, and anti-gun sentiment and laws made to inhibit those things, make it impossible to erect more factories to produce these commodities, and .... presto! ..... you've got a "component shortage," simply because there's no longer enough to go around to everyone wanting it in the quantities they're wanting it.

Look at the shooting forums on the 'net! They're all growing, and at a fast pace. This ain't because folks are bored with shooting now, or because they'll "do that tomorrow," but because there was a very REAL motivation to get and hoard precious components and ammo and guns, lest one find one's self in a position of having nothing but a silly grin with which to protect ourselves.

Complaining about the powder companies, and putting THEM down is NOT a very appropriate or functional or called for reaction on our part. When someone is doing all they CAN ..... well, obviously they CAN'T do any more, and simply WANTING more doesn't git-r-done. One thing I hope Trump will do is make opening and building new factories, specifically more munitions factories, so we CAN have all the ammo we want. Of course, the companies have to wonder just how long this "necessity buying" will last, and they have no crystal ball in which to see the future of what has become a very willful and flighty people, so ..... we're basically gonna' have to wait and see how it all works out. The wise have long ago stashed enough to survive, at least for a while, and it takes a LOT more than most folks think, to survive an apocalypse. A LOT more! Few are really prepared for it, simply because few have the $$$$$ to spend toward it.

Ain't this "New Millenium" fun now!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast