Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Patch lube

Boolit Buddy

Patch lube

I was talking to a neighbor at the local gun shop today an he mentioned he uses a water souluble oil for patch lube in his .32 cal. squirrel gun.He said with out it he can only shoot a few shots before the bore gets tight from fouling.with the lube he says he can shoot twenty or so shots before needing to clean the barrel.Has anyone else had experience with this type of patch lube.

Boolit Master
    Boy you opened a can of worms. EVERYONE has opinion's to what is best. Being 71 years of age I have tried
    so many, & most work. But the BEST I have ever used is mink oil. You can buy it at Walgreens sold in a can by

the shoe polish. Track of the wolf sells it. They say there is better than the mink oil in stores. I can't tell any difference.
    I coat my patches with it & store them in a empty percussion cap can. They fit perfect & slip in blue jean watch pocket
    as it was made for them. Mink oil holds the best accurate spot on shooting lube for patched ball of any thing I have ever
    tried. Soluble watered oil works well also, but if the patch is to wet in can contaminate the powder when hunting. Mink oil won,t.

Fly

Banned

patch lubes are just another subjective part of trad ml's. this is where the opinions of others are just that, and where personal testing and final selection rules.

but i'll tell ya, the most absolute bestest patch lube ever to be found on planet earth is ........................

rfd likes his paste shoe polish. I prefer the liquid. I always buy the white liquid shoe polish that's dispensed from inside a ball. It perfectly matches my roundball patch color too.

In all seriousness jtaylor, just about anything works...... even spit. The part where one can shoot x-amount of shots before swabbing/..... well, that never meant anything to me. I swab after every 2nd shot, no matter what stye of ML I'm using.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor1960 View Post
    I was talking to a neighbor at the local gun shop today an he mentioned he uses a water souluble oil for patch lube in his .32 cal. squirrel gun.He said with out it he can only shoot a few shots before the bore gets tight from fouling.with the lube he says he can shoot twenty or so shots before needing to clean the barrel.Has anyone else had experience with this type of patch lube.
    That's called moose milk. I use it, shoot all day with the same bore condition.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Murphy soap and rubbing alcohol 50/50. It cleans with every shot and it is super cheap.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Perma-Banned
    I seen a recipe recently and made some up, Murphy's oil soap and Castor oil equal parts, i havnt tried the patches yet but im sure they will work. Plan on trying some round ball in my .36 Seneca and .50 Cal Plains pistol