Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: T/L and sizing question

T/L and sizing question

Giving T/L a go and using BLL. I T/L all my bullets then sized them. I did this to make sizing easier. After I sized everything I gave them all another coat of T/L. Should I be good to go now? I didn't know if sizing all but removed the first coat of T/L. Thats why I gave them another coat. All .45 ACp and 45 LC. I have to think it's more than enough lube. After they dry, tif I squeeze the bullet in my fingers they stick to my fingers a bit so I feel it's enough lube.

Look forward to all suggestions and comments.

Have a good one folks

Joe

Boolit Master
    Just give them another light coat. I've only t l with lla or JPW. If you put too heavy of a coat sooner or later it will gum up your seating die and change the COL.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

One coat is more than enough to prevent leading. You said they stick to your fingers. Ben's original lube was 65/35 alox to Johnson wax. The new recipe is 35/30/35 alox, new floor wax, mineral spirits. Either isn't really tacky after a day.

Moderator Emeritus

Regarding TL: I lube before and after sizing ...and both coats, I apply as light as possible.
    I heat up the boolits and lube as I apply it, which helps applying a thin coating, as well as, helps it dry quicker.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Let me clarify as I didn't in the original post. 70% White Label Lube 45-45-10 and 30% JLFW. 70/30. Not sure that makes any difference? I also heat up the bullets before each coat so the lube migrates better.

Boolit Master
    I just tumble lube lightly with BLL, run them through the sizer wet, then tumble them a little more to assure coverage, let them dry and shoot them. No problems. I'm using a Lee nose first sizer so I just wipe out the wet T/L after doing the sizing, and nothing gets gummed up.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Let me get this straight: you're mixing 45-45-10 with JLFW (is that Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax??)
    I don't see the need to mix 45-45-10. it's already been done. Only a very light coat is all that's necessary (one before sizing, one after). You only barely see it on the boolit and it certainly doesn't come off on your fingers after drying. Don't worry, it will work if everything else is right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Let me get this straight: you're mixing 45-45-10 with JLFW (is that Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax??)
    I don't see the need to mix 45-45-10. it's already been done. Only a very light coat is all that's necessary (one before sizing, one after). You only barely see it on the boolit and it certainly doesn't come off on your fingers after drying. Don't worry, it will work if everything else is right.
    He's mixing/using a modified version of BLL, made with 45-45-10 instead of Alox.

BLL or Ben's Liquid Lube

Instead of using a 60/40 Alox to Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax Ratio to make BLL...

He is using a 70/30 ratio of 45-45-10, to Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax.

Making it this way adds a some Carnauba wax (from the JPW) to the BLL. A few others have speculated about adding Carnauba wax to BLL. I had considered melting some Carnauba flakes into some Alox with heat, but doing it this way seemed much simpler.

I use the same modified BLL recipe, (made with 45-45-10) and a few others do as well. It dries a little faster, and harder due to the Carnauba, leaving a somewhat thinner coat than regular 45-45-10 lube alone does.

The modified recipe works much like regular BLL does. It's also handy if you don't have any Alox, but do have a jug of White Label Lubes 45-45-10.

It's been mentioned before, a couple of times on the forum.

How Much Lube

Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk357Mag View Post
    I know this is somewhere on here but darn if I can uncover it. When you use the Lars Deluxe Liquid Xbox, 45-45-10, with the Johnson One Step, to form a variant of BLL do folks use the same 60 40 split? Thanks and sorry if this is redundant question.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    Use a 70 30 split 45-45-10 to liquid wax.....charlie
    I should also mention that I didn't come up with the ratio on my own, I use the same ratio that others here have suggested worked.

A few drops of this modified version of BLL works well for me with 38/357, 44 and 45 caliber Handgun cartridges so far. As good as 45-45-10, possibly even a little better. Bore is left shiny, no leading, and it seems to smoke even less due to the thinness of the coating.

Hopefully when the weather warms up some, I'll be able to test it even more. Yes, 45-45-10 works just fine by itself. But if no one ever bothered to experiment with things, we'd still be using straight Alox, and wouldn't even have Recluse's 45-45-10, or Ben's BLL lube as other options to use.

- Bullwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    He's mixing/using a modified version of BLL, made with 45-45-10 instead of Alox.

BLL or Ben's Liquid Lube

Instead of using a 60/40 Alox to Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax Ratio to make BLL...

He is using a 70/30 ratio of 45-45-10, to Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax.

Making it this way adds a some Carnauba wax (from the JPW) to the BLL. A few others have speculated about adding Carnauba wax to BLL. I had considered melting some Carnauba flakes into some Alox with heat, but doing it this way seemed much simpler.

I use the same modified BLL recipe, (made with 45-45-10) and a few others do as well. It dries a little faster, and harder due to the Carnauba, leaving a somewhat thinner coat than regular 45-45-10 lube alone does.

The modified recipe works much like regular BLL does. It's also handy if you don't have any Alox, but do have a jug of White Label Lubes 45-45-10.

It's been mentioned before, a couple of times on the forum.

How Much Lube

I should also mention that I didn't come up with the ratio on my own, I use the same ratio that others here have suggested worked.

A few drops of this modified version of BLL works well for me with 38/357, 44 and 45 caliber Handgun cartridges so far. As good as 45-45-10, possibly even a little better. Bore is left shiny, no leading, and it seems to smoke even less due to the thinness of the coating.

Hopefully when the weather warms up some, I'll be able to test it even more. Yes, 45-45-10 works just fine by itself. But if no one ever bothered to experiment with things, we'd still be using straight Alox, and wouldn't even have Recluse's 45-45-10, or Ben's BLL lube as other options to use.

- Bullwolf
    I do have a half gallon jug of WLL 45/45/10. Going to mix up some of that today.

Thanks, Bullwolf!
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Thanks Bullwolf

I have to say I love this T/L and it's almost a no brainer. Clean, non sticky, slick as can be! It's amazing that like 5 drops in a bin with 50 bullets or so can get such good coverage.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the explanation, Bullwolf. I'll have to give it a try.
    -BE