Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: case trimmer options

case trimmer options

Hey all,

So I thought I was dead set on an RCBS pro trim 2, but then I happened across the lee cartridge trimmer deluxe system that goes right in a press. That seems pretty slick. Takes up less room, just grab a 10 dollar die for whatever cartridge you do and go. I would imagine it would be hard to get some less popular cartridge sizes though. Edit * The one I was worries about, 35 whelen, is available.

Either way I am looking at manual because electric is crazy money. I can figure something out for a drill mount im sure but I wanted to know some thoughts. Edit* Looks like Lee has a power adapter for a drill/impact driver.

Right now I would only be trimming .270 and 30-30. Next thing would be .223.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Last edited by paraord; 12-29-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Super Moderator

If you are going to go with a manual trimmer, I recommend the Forster kit. It comes with four collets that fit virtually all calibers. It's obviously slower than an electric trimmer, but it is well made and made to last. I have no regrets with mine. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...se-trimmer-kit

Boolit Bub
    I have been going through this same decision for a while. I bought the lee quick trim case gauges because I had the other part and that is getting me through for now.but I have a machine shop so I plan on making a wft 2 type trimmer but If I couldn't make one I think theirs or the trim pro is one on the better solutions but they don't do pistol cases. I also thought about buying the hornady case trimmer on midway for $68 since I have some of their shell holders but I I watched some videos and accuracy on a lot of those lathe types seems to leave a lot to be desired. If none of those options suit you maybe try the stripped basic le Wilson trimmer but like the wft it requires special dies for each caliber.

I started with a simple Redding trimmer. Last year I bought a Forster with the power adapter, which I really like. I haven't been able to sell the Redding yet. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    The RCBS trimmer is hard to beat. Iv'e had the lee kits,the forster,& 2 different lyman models each had there good points and each had problems but i have had no problems with the RCBS it cuts square, hold cases tight and with the lever its quick to change out casings. Also you don't have to worry about a caliber specific die just the pilot and shell holder.

Boolit Master
    The Forster trimmer is widely available used for $25 to $35. I have been using mine hard since 1975.

You can get pilots and collets to fit almost everything. Once you have the basic 2 or 3 collets you can trim practically any cartridge with at most another pilot. Once you add all the pilots you don't need anything to trim new rounds.
    With careful use it will trim each case exactly the same length.

Get a 5/16 -24 high nut and a 9/16" nut driver socket and you can drive it with a drill motor.

It can also be set up easily for case neck turning. Forester makes a nice inexpensive case to store it all in.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the RCBS powered unit and it works well but is a bit slow. I use it for hunting, and load development rounds.

I have a few thousand 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308 cases to process and I am thinking about making up a jig for the drill press.

Don Verna

Well I had some funds come in and Amazon had that pro trimmer 2 come in stock after being 2-5 weeks backorder for a bit soooooo I ordered it. Now I am hoping to put a forster on the bench as well for some high runner stuff. Maybe have one setup just for one specific caliber.

I was so close to that LEE quick trim but I read in more than one place that the little catch tray missed some brass and people had brass shavings work into their presses. Now if I rendered my Original Rock Crusher inoperable because I wanted to save the equivalent of 20 bucks (I had it all priced out for the QT deluxe, power trim adapter, and 3 dies) I would be one sorry son of a gun.

Bench space was a concern of mine....and then I went down cellar and brought up another bench. Moved my 1980 Ironhead motor to a different table and refinished an old nice wood workbench. Not something I would mount a press to unless I anchored it to the floor/wall, but for sure a trimmer or two.

I also brought home my grandfathers Buffalo drill press which will get a full restoration, and maybe someday get fit with the forster setup for drill presses. That seems a pretty slick setup too.

Boolit Buddy
    Just started using the Lee, works great and is fast and chamfers and deburrs. Seriously, cranked out a ton of 300 BLK and 308 over the holidays, going to get the Makarov die and 223 too.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the years I have used most all of them. They all work ok, although some work better than others. Finished case length can vary with the collet trimmers due to how tight you tighten the collet. Most can't shoot the difference though. The Lyman has a universal chuck that worked ok but it did not fir everything. Seems like it stopped before you got to the 45-70 size rims. Most of the hand powered rotary trimmers have an optional adaptor that lets you use a drill. The Lee cases length gauges work ok and can be used with a drill.

I have settled on using the Wilson trimmer for my custom rifles and a Giraud trimmer on my higher volume stuff. I bought the carbide cutter for the Wilson and turn it by hand. The Giraud will trim and debar at the same time and I can sustain a rate of 15 to 16 cases a minute. The trimmed case is within .001 in uniform length. Its an awesome machine, though expensive.

Boolit Grand Master

I have three Forster trimmers. Two are setup w/ three way cutters on them. It's a very versatile little tool. But it's not the fastest. The handle to tighten the collet is hard on your hands over a long run. And if you aren't paying attention you can tighten the collet w/out a case fully inserted and you end up trimming to much off the case. I'm heavily invested at this point so won't be switching. When I eventually build a workshop under my garage something like a WFT in a drill press is on the list.

I bought a Used gracey off our S&S for $200.00 It came with one set up for 308, I added 223 and 300 blackout for total cost of $281.00. Best money I ever spent. I have processed over 15,000 pieces of brass with it in the last year. I added the carbide blade and made the caliber conversions with lock nuts so just screw in till set marks and done.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I had the RCBS for a long time, but bought it back in the 90s, when you still had to buy the various shell holders. I have been buying the Lee hand trimmers, they work well, just non adjustable. Tho handy as theres no adjustments and they all come out the same, but slow.

Came a point I needed to proper trimmer, so it was buy the shell holders for the RCBS or something else. I looked at the new Lee, but it looks like it could get expensive fast buying each die basically. Not a big deal if your only doing one or 2 cals, but do a wide variety, and Lee doesnt sell dies but for most popular. I opted to get the upgrade head for my RCBS, fitss pretty much everything, maybe a pilot of 2 for some odd balls, and fits the RCBS neck tool I have. Its screwed down to a board, just clamp it down when I need to use it, out of the way when I dont.

Boolit Master
    I use an old Lyman Universal case trimmer. It's has been rock solid for over 20 years. I have used it on brass from 22-250 to 416 Rigby and 458 WinMag. I just recently picked up an RCBS Trim Pro II with the auto feed case neck turner attachment. I am just using this one for neck turning and reaming. The handle on the Lyman is more comfortable. I find both benefit from being attached to a riser to get your hand clear of the bench top and to allow for something to clamp them down.

I ran about 150 of my .270 win through that pro trimmer 2. That is a sweet machine but 2 things are on the short list to get. 1, the 10 dollar adapter to use my porter cable impact driver and 2 a three way cutter. Deburring and chamfering by hand for a few is ok, but 150 is tough on the hands.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWT View Post
    I use an old Lyman Universal case trimmer. It's has been rock solid for over 20 years. I have used it on brass from 22-250 to 416 Rigby and 458 WinMag.
    Me too!!! What's Not to like??? I also have the neck Turning attachment, and the Arbor that has a hex for a Power drill!!!
    All That...and I still use the old Fashioned Lee fixed pilot trimmer system the Most....especially with the Hex adapter for the shell holder part!!!

I never did check how many Hundreds of any Brass I turned out in an Hour!!!!
    I could go thru a couple of my Calibers in that time...and it would Not be Hundreds!!!!
    Call me "Small Time"....or....just "Slow"

Well I ordered that little attachment to hook up a drill or driver to my trimmer. Nice that I found that it was made in the states and 12.50 delivered. I should see it by Thursday and will post a few pictures and a report of how it does. I setup the trim length for my 30-30 brass that needs to be trimmed and I have a little pile of it so this should give a good feel of how it will work.

I have an old grey Lyman trimmer that I have had for 3 plus decades with one manual and two power trimmer shafts. The manual is for most calibers and the two power trimmer shafts are set up for 223 and 30-06 that I shoot in gas guns. I use a 3/8" battery powered hand drill to power trim. Easy to use and fast to boot.

Well like I said I would report when I got that little power shaft in. Here's part in question

Pretty easy to take off the hand knob and put this in it's place

Chucked up the drill, put it on low speed and torque level 1 and we are up and running.

Went through a big coffee can of 30-30 pretty quick, with no hand fatigue obviously. I timed myself early on and did 12 in one minute. I'm sure that got a little better as the pile shrunk and I got I to a groove.

All and all this little power adapter was worth the 12.50 for sure, and made here in the states to boot. I'm sure it would fit other trimmers if it is the same threading for the knob.

I bought a Trim It trimmer and mounted it in a scroll saw motor. Going to add the Forster 3 way cutter eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0iV5B2jfWs&t=9s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast