Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Wildcat Project

Boolit Master
    If it is a basic-quality Belgian revolver, as the great majority of small pinfires are, you can be close to certain that it is just mild steel, which was adequate for its intended purpose. I am fairly sure there never were smokeless pinfire loads, and even with black powder the loads were never heavy.

I have a .38 rimfire factory conversion of the open frame Colt New Police, and the metal over the rear of the chamber, which used to be over the nipple threads, is frighteningly thin. I forget which of the factory conversions, though I think not that one, was supplied with a spare cylinder, and I suspect that a blowout wasn't an uncommon event. It was probably harmless if the gun was held in any conventional position, but you wouldn't want a friend holding it sideways like movie gangsters. I doubt if it would even prevent firing the rest of the shots in an open frame revolver. But I agree that a complete new cylinder is the best way to go, and using anything but low pressure loads isn't.

Boolit Master
    This thread and the talks about .12 caliber made me thinking..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32sw.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	183984
    What can be done from .32 S&W long?

S

Boolit Master
    With a little search there seems to be many options..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-01-01-13-50-11--1100799091.jpeg 
Views:	273 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	183985
    22/32 for instance..

And Eichelberger had the .32 H&R Mag based wildcats.. As the basic case is only shorter the .32 S&W version could be shorter..

S
    Last edited by seppos; 01-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you scale down and change it to rimmed from the .32 H&R you get about .17 caliber.
    That is pritty close in proptions.
    Have to sketch it down tomorrow. Evidently the .14 is pritty close with .32 long. Will be a bit fatter but that probably is only good as the burning space is even more ball like.

S

Ps. Will start new thread tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    HiForce44 silver solder is as strong as it gets. A friend soldered a cut brass cable end to a steel plate and beat it with a hammer to no visible effect. I'd trust it before I'd trust any glue space age or not.

A friend has an old Fore Hand and Wadsworth spur trigger solid frame .32 rimfire I've been trying to find shells for. I'm considering trading him out of it and either converting it to .32 Colt centerfire or sleeve chambers and barrel to .22 RF.
    I have a microgroove barrel stub I could turn down to make the barrel liner. I also have a couple of salvaged crosman 760 barrels I could ream out and turn down for the chamber inserts.
    A .22 barrel liner doesn't have to have thick walls, most are made to fit reamed out .32 bores.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    HiForce44 silver solder is as strong as it gets. A friend soldered a cut brass cable end to a steel plate and beat it with a hammer to no visible effect. I'd trust it before I'd trust any glue space age or not.

A friend has an old Fore Hand and Wadsworth spur trigger solid frame .32 rimfire I've been trying to find shells for. I'm considering trading him out of it and either converting it to .32 Colt centerfire or sleeve chambers and barrel to .22 RF.
    I have a microgroove barrel stub I could turn down to make the barrel liner. I also have a couple of salvaged crosman 760 barrels I could ream out and turn down for the chamber inserts.
    A .22 barrel liner doesn't have to have thick walls, most are made to fit reamed out .32 bores.
    Strength isn't a single property. It can be extremely strong in shear or tension, but it is the strength of the liner and the remaining cylinder that counts, and you can still groove HiForce 44 with a piece of electrical-fitting thermoplastic.

It is possible to adapt some .32 rimfire revolvers to the 9mm. rimfire shotshells, as made by Fiocchi. Their diameter is mostly .325in. but unless you want to swage down a slight enlargement of the case to .341in. (duplicating the brass on the now-vanished paper cased version, some revolvers will require slight enlargement of the chamber and rim recess. As they come they are a close but sliding fit on .308in. Revolvers built down to the size most of these were, will have cylinders a bit thin for that. Midway have them at $25.99 for 50, which is a cheaper way than some of solving this problem. Note that they are smaller in case diameter than the dimensions given as "No3" on this website.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/shotshellloads.html
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/wal...ick_loads.html

The .32 Colt centrefire would be fine if loaded in moderation, and would require no chamber modification, but a tricky one for the firing-pin. Some .32 rimfire revolvers have a firing-pin and slot for it that would require no modification for the .22.

.22 liners have been made 5/16 and 8mm. diameter, which would be fine for a lot of .32 barrels after a light and easy reaming job. But some would leave traces of rifling, possibly not enough to give any trouble when loctited or soldered. More often rimfire liners nowadays, including those from TJ's, are ⅜in., which I think is a better way of doing it.

I would want to be sure of the quality and strength of a break-open .32 revolver before converting it to a modern smokeless .22 rimfire. The small bottom-break Smith and Wessons (possibly just the bronze-framed ones) are notorious for breaking their topstraps with modern .22 shorts. There is probably at least as much difference between long rifle and short as there is between bronze and steel. But a solid frame should be fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to make a change in plans On closer inspection of the old gun I came to the conclusion that any attempt to make it into a repeating revolver was out of the question. Barrel/ cylinder alignment would have been the major problem with the open frame design of this beat-up 1858 Lefaucheux but there were other problems as well.

So, I decided to try a single shot. Still need to put some kind if sights on it and give it a test run.
    Once I get it done and test fired I'll post more info.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    It has been A while . . .
    Any results yet?

Chev. William

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    Made the Morris reamer just for giggles..
    Attachment 183845
    Need hardening and grinding..
    It is for modern barrels so possible to use .224 bullets instead of the rare .223 ones.
    S
    Thanks for the picture. Niece work. Now I see how to shape a fair bore reamer. I am going to be needing to make one of those for my 25/22 x-bullet rimfire rounds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    It has been A while . . .
    Any results yet?

Chev. William
    Still have a foot of snow (more to get into the range), we have a short shooting season up this way. Mid April to the end of October if we are lucky.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The 32 Short Colt should fit.