Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future with the Whelen

Boolit Master

Future with the Whelen

Now my itch is needing scratched by all the 35 caliber hunting stories I read on this forum. Maybe I should pull the old Whelen out of mothballs and cast some pretty boolits for hunting in seasons to come, just because I want to. All I read is "you can't go wrong with the RCBS FN200" for whitetails. That may be a great start, yet, what if I decide to visit my son in Colorado with an elk tag in pocket. Should I confine myself to the 200 grain boolit or bump up to the 225 fngc?
    Even with jacketed bullets this rifle never shot nearly as flat as the 30/06 did, which said son now owns and hunts with, so I don't expect a long range afair, just a good solid hunting boolit that can thump a deer, or elk up to 200 years, maybe a tad more. What are your recommendations? Does anyone use the RCBS FN200 for Elk?
    If anyone wants to spare a few of those, or other 35 caliber medicine to try out I'd be pleased to pay for shipping and such.
    Thank you,

Christopher

Banned

I would use the 200gr RCBS on elk.

actually I drug my rifle and that load all over a bunch of mountains a few years ago just for that purpose. Never got to pull the trigger, but I would have had no worries with my load combo.

RCBS 200gr, WWWQ alloy 2500fps, accurate and does the job intended. (per my tests)

I finally got to wack something with it this year. A nice hog (95lbs or so) at about 200yds or so. Bang flop.

Boolit Grand Master
    personally if it were me I would use my 260 gr boolit from Mountain molds
    would also have to borrow my son's Whelen to shoot it with
    I have hunted elk but used a 358 Win.and a 250 gr Hornady S.P
    prefer heavy bullets for bigger than deer game animals
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    For elk, 225 Nosler Partition, 2600+fps out of a Whelen, plenty flat enough to go 400 yards, with some practice. I get 2500fps out of a Savage 99 .358. I've shot a few elk, depends on the country, but they don't fall like deer or antelope. Plenty of practice with cast, then hunt with Nosler Partitions or Swift A-frames. I've used Barnes-X, prefer some lead.

Another good one to consider is the Noe 360230. It hits like a hammer and is super accurate in my whelen.

On the other hand, i also have the Noe 200 gr.(rcbs clone), and the Noe 360009 and can say the same thing about them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to agree with MostlyLeverGuns, I have taken several elk with my Whelen using 225 grn Partitions at that velocity. I seldom fire more than one shot. The longest shot I have taken was lasered at 378 yards. That cow did require a follow up, but I blame that on my misjudging the wind. I have tried some cast loads at the range. The rifle appears to be extremely accurate with cast as well as J-words. I haven't yet had the time to build the confidence that I feel I need to hunt elk with it yet using a cast boolit. Mabey I'll have time during the off season this year to develop a load that I am confident with. Having taken elk with a muzzleloader, I have no doubts about the cast boolits ability to cleanly take game, I just need the right load. I think that I will be using something in the 250 grn range.

Cast Hunter

Check out the Saeco #352. It weighs 245 grains and I get great accuracy in my .358 Win.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    I have used the358318 boolit on Maine deer in the 35 whelen. The 358315works quiteelwl too. WELL!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use either a 265 or 290 gr. bullet for elk. Kills them dead. In my experience, they work better than jacketed bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360-310 NOE Thumper 35 Whelen.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	183805 The 360-310 Thumper is the one I would pic for elk....as a buddy of mine used to say " Its right of weight" LOL that gets the job of penetration done.

Boolit Master
    Good suggestions, all, gentlemen. I sent out some Nosler Partitions to my son at Christmas for the Ruger M77 30/06 that I custom handloaded for that rifle many moons ago when I headed west a couple of seasons to hunt elk. Now that he owns that rifle I figured those rounds will be in better use than on my shelf. I remember seeing the golf ball sized holes they made in the rib cage of the beast and figured they were worth the investment way back in the latter 90's.
    Suppose a box of 35 caliber Partitions would be a good addition to the reloading cabinet. Never hurts to have a premium bullet available.

35Shooter, funny, I have that exact NOE page for the 360230 pulled up from a few days ago. That might be my next mold to purchase. I slugged the bore last night. The tightest measurements were at .358 with .3585 being the largest. I suppose a .360 sizing die should be about right.

Those heavy cast projectiles look impressive. Thing is, with the trajectory the Whelen already has using the 250 RN jacket bullets I used to shoot, which dropped significantly at 200 yards when compared to the 180 grain bullets in the 30/06, I don't think I would be better off using the 35 caliber compared to the 45/70 on large game at extended ranges (anything beyond 200 yards). These are my initial thoughts on it. I'm always up to learning of your experiences, though.

In Ohio we cannot use a bottleneck case for deer hunting, but straight walled 35 calibers are accepted. If I use the Whelen in earnest it will have to be in a locale where they are welcomed. But for now I don't like the rifle to stay a bona fide safe queen. It needs shot and enjoyed or maybe traded for a 35 caliber that will do double duty for Ohio deer and Colorado elk. But, the 45/70 and various muzzleloaders can handle our whitetails well enough. Might just keep the Whelen for that out of state hunt I've mulled over in my mind for some time now. It has accounted for one wild pig in Alabama, yet that was nearly 15 years ago. Time for it to earn its keep. I have the dies, plenty of fire formed cases, lead and the itch. What more can a man ask for?
    Thanks Men for the added ideas.

Good shooting!
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Buddy
    You really don't need partitions for the Whelen...it does very well with cup and core. And from what I have seen excellent results with cast. If you sight in for 3 inches high at 100 you will only have 8 inches of drop at 300 and 20 at 400.....the heavies will surprise you how flat they shoot. Momentum carries them a long way. My longest shot is 400 yds on a moose and never held off the body. He dropped like he was hit by a bolt from the blue.

Boolit Master
    35Whelen, I agree with Yodogsandman, Good Shootin. OK, you have my attention with " If you sight in for 3 inches high at 100 you will only have 8 inches of drop at 300 and 20 at 400...." I'm still thinking 30/06 180's at 2,750fps trajectories. Those were 2" high at 100, dead on at 200, 9" low at 300 and 24" low at 400 yards. With what you are saying we aren't that much difference with a big, heavy cast boolit.?.! Is this with those 310's you are referring to or something else? What velocity, as well, because I did not see this written on the target you posted.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Christopher....those were with a Hornady jacketed 250 grain bullet. I haven't had a chance to see what the 310's will do as I discovered my scope rings were for a small ring Mauser and not a large ring. Hence the low impact on the target. I was holding on the top of the paper just to get that group on the target......with no more vertical adjustment left in the scope. I didn't have a chronograph with me that day but I'm betting I was right about 2000fps with that load. My load for the Hornady 250 jacketed were doing 2450 to give you an idea for comparison. Interesting note is that you can get 2700 out of a 200 grain J bullet in the whelen, but the 250 holds velocity better and energy out to longer ranges

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    Christopher....those were with a Hornady jacketed 250 grain bullet. I haven't had a chance to see what the 310's will do as I discovered my drops rings were for a small ring Mauser and not a large ring. Hence the low impact on the target. I was holding on the top of the paper just to get that group on the target......with no more vertical adjustment left in the scope. I didn't have a chronograph with me that day but I'm betting I was right about 2000fps with that load. My load for the Hornady 250 jacketed were doing 2450 to give you an idea for comparison. Interesting note is that you can get 2700 out of a 200 grain J bullet in the whelen, but the 250 holds velocity better and energy out to longer ranges
    I've used the Hornady 250 grain round nosed bullets years ago. Looking over my notes I believe I was using a 55 gr load of RX12 for over 2,600fps. Shot a 125# hog through the lungs at 90 yards. She was dead, just didn't know it for about 40 steps.
    I use to cast a slew of muzzleloader slugs way back and a few light weight boolits to coyote hunt with the 06. Lately I've dipped a fair share of wfn 45/70 boolits, which take too long but are satisfying. How much more enjoyable it would be to cast smaller, but very practical projectiles in larger lots. Hence the desire to dust off the old Whelen.
    I'm thinking 225 - 250 grain boolits are as heavy as I want to go, though. I'll restudy the trajectory tables before making my mind up completely, though. I'm glad to get your take on this round.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a nice compromise of BC and hitting power. I would seriously consider the Saeco 352 or the Accurate copy.....Super accurate with a flat point. Great reviews
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-245S-D.png

I just bought this one too but haven't cast with it yet....I bought it on the high praises of others on this forum

You won't regret casting boolits for your whelen. It's like hunting with a hammer...drt's or very short runs and massive blood trails has been my experience.

Lol, you've been warned....hunting with cast in a 35 cal. rifle is addictive and the whelen is one of the best and most versatile of the 35's imho.

Boolit Buddy
    Christopher.....we forgot to ask..or did I miss it. What rifle are you shooting in the 35 Whelen and whats the rifling twist rate, as that could have an influence on what weight boolit to shoot?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    Christopher.....we forgot to ask..or did I miss it. What rifle are you shooting in the 35 Whelen and whats the rifling twist rate, as that could have an influence on what weight boolit to shoot?
    35, it came from a friend who used to own a gun store in Prescott AZ years ago. Built off a Mauser 98 action the only markings I see on the barrel is 35 Whelen. I don't recall any stamping below stock level, too many years ago since I was reworking the stock to remember that detail. Twist rate is 1/16". Barrel oal is 22", including the chamber, .635" at the muzzle, so probably a heavy sporter contour. Definitely not a featherweight rifle.
    Shame it isn't 1/14" but this confirms my tendency to use 250 grain boolits or less. I'm sure it will kill all the paper I point it at and the occasional furry creature that stands in front of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast