MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Black powder clean up

Boolit Master

Black powder clean up

A friend ask me to work on a Uberti 1860 Army pistol. The pistol had not been cleaned after use. The barrel and cylinder are stuck on the frame. I have soaked it in Kroil but it is still stuck solid.
    i am looking for suggestions.

They always used to recommend dropping them in a bath of kerosene and light oil, but real kerosene is now very expensive. (Not as expensive as Kroil, though.) Diesel fuel and ATF might make a good substitute. Take off the grips, and let it sit in there for a week. Then tap lightly with a plastic mallet where the cylinder arbor enters the barrel.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Try taking off the grips, and boil it. Oils tend to set bp fouling harder.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    If you rotate the cylinder to between chambers then the lever will work for you aiding seperation.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Grips off - ultra sonic cleaner - temperature turned on with hot water & Dawn
    If cleaner solution or burnishing solution is used = removes bluing
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    If you rotate the cylinder to between chambers then the lever will work for you aiding seperation.
    this worked for me.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Moderator Emeritus

Waksupi gives the best advice. Then, when you get down to the bare metal, you'll be able to make a determination on whether there's enough left to make it function, at least after a fashion, again. Personally, I doubt there's anything that can be done to return it to service, but .... who knows? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Boolit Master
    If you boil it, get a large enough pot to get most of the gun in and whatever you do......don't use one of the wife's! Also don't let it boil over as it can make a mess on the stove.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    If you boil it, get a large enough pot to get most of the gun in and whatever you do......don't use one of the wife's! Also don't let it boil over as it can make a mess on the stove.
    Go to a thrift store to get a pot when you do this. Wife has no reason to ***** then. But if she wants to find a reason, she will.

The black powder fellas all swear by 7 parts water and 1 part Ballistol. Come to think of it, I do too!! That stuff will dissolve BP fouling like you won't believe!!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Perm-Banned
    chris112, thanks, i needed the good laugh. ballistol was invented by the ww2 german war machine, it is a very good product. sometimes good comes out of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    The black powder fellas all swear by 7 parts water and 1 part Ballistol. Come to think of it, I do too!! That stuff will dissolve BP fouling like you won't believe!!

35W
    This.

Moderator Emeritus

One other thing to try: I once cleaned up and refinned three Win. M-12's that had gone through hurricane Katrina in LA, and laid there in brackish water for over a week before they could be retrieved. Plain old liquid brown hand soap (NOT detergents, like dishwashing stuff!) worked better than anything we tried. My idea, and I was really surprised at how well it removed rust after a good soaking in it. That and a good brass or wire brush, and some rubbing with steel wool for the last vestiges of it, and they really came out great. We reblued and refinished the wood on them, and the Judge who owned them was VERY pleased when he got them back.

Apparently, the soap penetrates down into the rust, softens it, and also dissolves and lifts out any grease or grease components as well. Then, some wire brushing removes most of the rust, and the 4/0 steel wool gives the metal a nicer patina, so there's not quite so much sanding and polishing to do before the bluing. Worst part was the darned buildup of wax and dirt from spraying them down with WD-40 and putting them in the rack. That stuff set up harder than concrete, and dental picks were necessary to get all of it out. But when he cycled the first one, his eyebrows hit his hairline, and a big smile came over his face. He left a very happy camper. it's good to make judges happy. Maybe he'll remember if I ever have to stand before him????

Banned

I agree, NO WD-40 EVER. The stuff will displace water, then gum and promote rust.