Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Here is a bit of gel testing. These were all fired through heavy clothing at a distance of ten feet.

220gr cast hollowpoint loaded a moderate charge of Red Dot. Muzzle velocity of around 800fps. A nice mild load and probably good for target work.

Penetration was 18" expansion was zero.

Next up is the same bullet with a max charge of Unique. Or a little over max depending on the book. This one's running 950fps. Penetration is in the 25ish range from this load. Mild expansion but more of a deformation than actual expansion. Obviously the one that didn't mushroom as much as its counterpart penetrated more.

Last up is a 185gr cast hollowpoint from Rimrock. These are advertised on his website as being what Buffalo Bore uses in some of their 44SPL ammo.

These are loaded with Unique. Again I'm at the top end of the spectrum. Impact velocity was 1050ish on the gel.

These open impressively especially after clothing. I had kind of expected these to clog. Once these open they get pretty unpredictable and veer off track. I had to fire several rounds in order to recover these two. The others veered off and went out the side(s) of the block.

Penetration isn't as good with this bullet. We're talking 10+ inches here. Maybe backing the muzzle velocity off a bit will change that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

While I am waiting for the Ruger to come back I figured I would mess around a little more with the gel.

This is the Rimrock 185gr LHP backed off to about 1,000fps. Expansion isn't nearly as impressive but penetration after clothing is now in the 14" range. Depending on how accurate this load is it might be about ideal for the 3" guns in terms of recoil, performance, etc.

usbp379,

Thanks for the load testing information. I have a quick OT question. I like the grips on your Taurus, much better than the Hogue mono-grips I have on my 431. Do you know where a fella could get a pair of those?

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    I like the grips on your Taurus
    That's a custom roundbutt conversion done by my father probably twenty years ago.

Thank you for posting the photo of your grips. I like them.

It appears that I owe Ruger a giant apology.

In preparation for the return of my GP100, I bought another box of the 200 grain jacketed hollow point from Underwood. Today I shot some of this ammo through an old Taurus model 431.

Much to my surprise, this ammo keyholed like crazy out of the Taurus.

So at this point I think Underwood may have gotten some out of spec bullets from Speer or they may be pushing the 200 grain Gold Dot too fast to be properly stabilized by a 1x20 twist. At least with A3 inch barrel.

This afternoon I called Underwood and spoke to Justin. I told him what I was seeing and that I had a couple different guns now that have keyholed with their hot Gold Dot ammo. Justin said he would do some research and call me back.

I guess one way or the other I'll get this figured out.

Boolit Master

"It appears that I owe Ruger a giant apology."

"Never apologize! It's a sign of weakness!" -John Wayne in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

I'm waiting to see if Ruger does anything to your revolver, or just sends it back saying it is within specs.

Vendor Sponsor

If the throats are in fact .433,,, it is in spec. IE: SAMMI spec for .44 Spec/mag chambers is .431+/-.002

however they are aware that this is the first run and lots of opinions will be formed so they probably would change the cylinder out for a one closer to nominal.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    It appears that I owe Ruger a giant apology.

In preparation for the return of my GP100, I bought another box of the 200 grain jacketed hollow point from Underwood. Today I shot some of this ammo through an old Taurus model 431.

Much to my surprise, this ammo keyholed like crazy out of the Taurus.

So at this point I think Underwood may have gotten some out of spec bullets from Speer or they may be pushing the 200 grain Gold Dot too fast to be properly stabilized by a 1x20 twist. At least with A3 inch barrel.

This afternoon I called Underwood and spoke to Justin. I told him what I was seeing and that I had a couple different guns now that have keyholed with their hot Gold Dot ammo. Justin said he would do some research and call me back.

I guess one way or the other I'll get this figured out.

Thanks for this update, because I was considering buying this ammo. I'll wait till you can share with us what you find out about it.

And this is yet another example of the old truism: don't trust your life to a gun-ammo combination you haven't tried out. You just don't expect stuff like this, but every time you let down your guard, it seems to jump up and bite you. (And by "you," I mean "me.") One high primer in a box of ammo, and suddenly you're disarmed amidst a crisis. The old word "assume" comes to mind, if you know what I mean!

Keyholes with the Underwood still doesn't explain some of the other accuracy issues I've seen with jacketed ammo. So are the problems me getting frustrated and loosing concentration while shooting or is there something else?

Also, does anyone know twist rates on these various other 44SPL snubbies? What does Charter Arms use for the Bulldog? What did S&W use on the 296 and 396? I haven't actually measured the Taurus but visually it appears to be probably 1x20 like the Ruger.

The fellow at Underwood did tell me he'd pull some ammo from my same lot and do some checking to include some accuracy verification. But the closest thing they have to the GP is a 4" Redhawk. I told him I'd send him my GP if need be.

I suppose another option is to load some 200gr Gold Dot using various powder charges and check accuracy as I work my way up to see if bullets keyhole at higher velocities.

Boolit Master
    I don't personally think barrel length is the issue, and 1-20" should stabilize any reasonable .44 Spl bullet just fine. I could see an undersize jacketed bullet being an issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I don't personally think barrel length is the issue, and 1-20" should stabilize any reasonable .44 Spl bullet just fine. I could see an undersize jacketed bullet being an issue though.
    I tend to agree. 1x20 seems to be a common twist in Special and Mag both.

Okay. The new gun is here.

Here are a couple example groups.

Speer 200gr Gold Dot from 25 yards

Ten rounds of 200gr plated loaded by Precision One

So far so good. I'll load up some additional fodder this weekend and give another go.

PS--No call yet from Underwood...

Vendor Sponsor

So did they replace the cylinder with one with tighter throats? It did get back to you pretty quick I'd say?

I need to know everything about this, as I will be talking to the Ruger guys this next Tuesday, and I want to give them proper feedback on how this gun is working.

<3" groups at 25 yds. from a 3" barreled gun are not out of line. I haven't gotten anything out of my 696 that is better than that, and I doubt many others could either.

Incidentally, just to clarify for the onlookers, those holes in the bottom target are NOT Keyholed. That is a round nosed boolit going thru the target, and not cutting the hole but pushing it thru before the boolit.

Also if you throw out the flyers and close your calipers to the center of the holes those groups are more like 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" which is pretty good shooting at 25 yds from a snubby. I d be very hard pressed to equal that from any of my Glocks.

This shooting all looks pretty good to me.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Initial measurements indicated three throats at .433 and two throats at .432. I never took a measurement on the cylinder gap on the old one but the new one is easily half.

Boolit Master

45 1cp vs 44 Special?

I wanted a 44 Special for CCW. What changed my mind is my Kimber 1911. 44 Special and 45 ACP are very close in stopping power.You get 9 shots vs 5.I prefer revolvers most of the time.Money talks and mine talked me out of spending it....LOL PS can always go 45 Super with a spring change
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kimber 1.jpg  

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    I wanted a 44 Special for CCW. What changed my mind is my Kimber 1911. 44 Special and 45 ACP are very close in stopping power.You get 9 shots vs 5.I prefer revolvers most of the time.Money talks and mine talked me out of spending it....LOL PS can always go 45 Super with a spring change
    That only holds true for factory ammo.

The .44 Special has an indisputable advantage over the 45acp, with handloads.

With that said, even as much as I love the .44 Special, I prefer the 45acp for CC.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    That only holds true for factory ammo.

The .44 Special has an indisputable advantage over the 45acp, with handloads.

With that said, even as much as I love the .44 Special, I prefer the 45acp for CC.
    I mulled this very thing over a couple years back and I got two of each just so I would have all bases covered. I'm still wanting a flattop Bisley to play with. A guy can't have too many 44 Specials don't you know !

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned
    This thread has me re-thinking my desire for the Ruger in 44 SPL.
    I am now considering the S&W 69. A medium frame 5 shot but with the added flexibilty of being chambered in 44 mag.
    But still deciding.