Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Yep. Same results.

Also keyholing is not shooter induced.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    You said they weren't all keyholing, only the 200gr, were...the others were just inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    You said they weren't all keyholing, only the 200gr, were...the others were just inaccurate.
    We did see some keyholing with the Underwood 245gr FMJ too. Not every round like the 200gr stuff but some were definitely unstable.

Three different people (that's counting myself) fired the gun for group. None of us had much luck with it.

Ed Head, in his review, was getting 2.5" groups at 15 yards. Jeff Quinn also posted that his gun was shooting 2" at twenty-five. Mine won't even do half that.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Re-Read DougGuy's post #14 above.

PIN THE CYLINDER throats or check diameter with MEASURED jacketed bullets.

Also check for thread choke from collapse of barrel shank from over torquing.

BOTH ARE COMMON RUGER PROBLEMS!!!!!!! Neither being conducive to accuracy.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    check for thread choke from collapse of barrel shank
    I believe this might be where the problem lies.

Dang. had high hopes for this one. Want one. But it HAS to shoot cast out of the box. If not, it is a total No Go for me. All I will shoot is the Keith 250, and prob Skeeter load most of the time. Sounds like this one may be like the SRH I had 30 years ago. Damned thing wouldn't shoot cast for snot. Dumped it and later found out why - throats smaller than bbl dia. Watching this to see where it lands with cast.

!!!! Absolutely NOT NEVER!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    Dang. had high hopes for this one. Want one. But it HAS to shoot cast out of the box. If not, it is a total No Go for me. All I will shoot is the Keith 250, and prob Skeeter load most of the time. Sounds like this one may be like the SRH I had 30 years ago. Damned thing wouldn't shoot cast for snot. Dumped it and later found out why - throats smaller than bbl dia. Watching this to see where it lands with cast.
    Actually the 240gr lead Magtech ammo shot the best. It was the 200gr JHP and 245gr FMJ stuff that didn't work for me at all.

Boolit Master
    Can you measure the throats? Enquiring minds want to know
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Can you measure the throats? Enquiring minds want to know
    Unfortunately no.

Perma-Banned

And, just for the record...I never said keyholing was shooter induced.

But, I did say that inaccuracy can be shooter induced. My questions were directed toward the other loads, not the keyholing 200gr loads.

I have seen guns with thread choke and tight chambers...they did not scatter rounds like that, at 25yds. They would not shoot tight groups, but they would do better than 6"s at 25yds.

Perhaps yours is different.

Unfortunately no.

Too bad, perhaps you could send randy (w r buchanan) a picture of your gp100??? He could use his spiddy senses and look at your pictures and tell you what's wrong.

Interesting there is no chronograph info.
    Last edited by Forrest r; 12-30-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Just send it back, it is obvious they it slip through without performing quality control.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The barrel is solid steel not lined.

While I appreciate your advice on slugging my bore and clylinder I have no desire to get too carried away with this thing. If it was a family heirloom that I wanted to shoot occasionally in remembrance of a dead relative or some long-out-of-production classic that I wanted to enjoy on the range I'd be far more interested.

Frankly, this gun is new and current production and I really only have an interest in it if it'll work with darned near anything I stuff in it. It should shoot factory or reloaded target ammo as well as hotter loads for hunting. And it should be good to go with factory defensive ammo if I decide to tote it around as a CCW piece. None of that matters if the gun will only shoot well with a certain weight bullet and/or one that is sized to fit a gun that's otherwise out of spec.

Last edited by usbp379; 12-30-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    The barrel is solid steel not lined.

While I appreciate your advice on slugging my bore and clylinder I have no desire to get too carried away with this thing. If it was a family heirloom that I wanted to shoot occasionally in remembrance of a dead relative or some long-out-of-production classic that I wanted to enjoy on the range I'd be far more interested.

Frankly, this gun is new and current production and I really only have an interest in it if it'll work with darned near anything I stuff in it. It should shoot factory or reloaded target ammo as well as hotter loads for hunting. And it should be good to go with factory defensive ammo if I decide to tote it around as a CCW piece. None of that matters if the gun will only shoot well with a certain weight bullet and/or one that is sized to fit a gun that's otherwise out of spec.

OP is ever so right. Its a brand new production gun, he should be able to buy ANY box of 44 spcl and they work. How many of us would buy a new car that ran terrible, then spend money trying to fix it or find the gas it likes, vs dropping it off at the dealer and saying 'fix this'?

So is Ruger gonna go the Remington way? Keep the prices, but lose the quality? Seems like a good way to lose customers. If thats the way a new Ruger GP100 is gonna be, might as well buy a charter arms 44spcl. One would think overtorquing barrels to create restrictions would be something we read about people doing 100yrs ago, not today.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:31 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    Suit yourself ... it is not worth my time to send back an "almost" good gun, when a very simple home fix is available ...

I've had three major manufacturers that needed work, one got sent back ... and now works as it should have, I understand the disappointment, but for an hour or two of work, it "should" be fixed "forever" ... how much time will be envolved with sending it back routine?
    I will suit myself indeed. Thanks again for the advice.

This is obviously all my fault because I thought the gun would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Here's a little tidbit,,, my 696 keyholes some factory jacketed bullets worse than what I saw in your pics. After taking one apart and finding the bullets measured .428 it was easy to understand why.

Also the Light Cast Boolit loads with 190 gr SWC's that were sized to .431 with .430 throats and a .429 barrel shot 12" high at 15 yards due to the slow velocity and time in the barrel during recoil. The remainders were torn down and recycled.

Hotter loads with 250 gr boolits sized the same worked great and shot to the sights out to 25 yards, however there is still some minor leading in the forcing cone and leads of the rifling lands. So 1 out of 3 loads shot right in my $950 S&W 696. Thus proving that few guns will shoot everything well right out of the box. and just because it's called Factory Ammo doesn't mean it is perfect for your gun

I am hoping that shooting PC'd boolits will solve the Leading issue permanently.

With all the Threads to read on this site you would think that people who are enthusiasts would know that getting the most out of a gun usually requires some work, and very few guns are going to shoot everything perfectly right out of the box. And of all the guns available, Revolvers are going to be the least likely to shoot everything well. When you are talking about Factory Ammo there is no telling if it is going to perform up to your expectations or not. That's the reason we reload our own ammo and cast our own boolits.

In the current AR magazine Craig Boddington tested the new "Cheap $800 Kimber Rifle." It was supposed to be 1/2 MOA with select factory ammo and came with a target to prove it. That was the only ammo tested that did that, everything else tried was 1" or better, which as far as I'm concerned is pretty decent with Factory Ammo anyway, but people would still complain that it wasn't to Spec even though they couldn't shoot the gun that well on their best day.

Every machined part has a tolerance on every feature of that part. As long as all the features are within the specified tolerances, the part is considered to be a good part. But they do vary from part to part.

A Revolver probably has 100 or more dimensions that have tolerances that can affect how the end product shoots. Not all guns assembled from a group of parts are going to be a perfect combination that yields perfect results with any ammunition. In fact the likelihood that any will, is slim to none, and especially out of the first run.

My Ruger Scout is #159 from the first production run and had a very loose fit between the bolt and receiver. The bolt would jam if you didn't run it right. I sent that bolt to an outfit that plated it with Boron Nitride which not only made it slicker and increased it's size by .002 and problem solved. That gun is the best shooter I have and the only load I've tried shots under an 1" every single time.

But they fixed that problem on the second run and it hasn't been a problem since and pretty much all of those guns are MOA guns with reloads. Plenty of guys here who would back that up.

Sometimes you got to work a little to get what you want.

But,,, It's all my fault, and I'll take responsibility!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-30-2016 at 05:11 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I did order a couple different weights/brands of Special this morning and will report back after I have a chance to try them.

Happy New Year.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope the new rounds work out well. I hate getting a lemon.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast