Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

Ruger's New GP100 44SPL--Got One!

The GP has been a standard in the Ruger catalog for a good 25+ years. Nobody pays it much attention nowadays even though Ruger has probably sold somewhere between a million and a billion of the things. They've always been primarily a 38/357 revolver and have been available in several barrel lengths.

Ruger tried to shake things up over the last few years with GP's like the Match Champion and a nifty 3" gun inspired by Wiley Clapp. Well, continuing with interesting new variants, Ruger is now making a 5shot 44 Special.

I don't consider myself to be a revolver guy and don't have much use for the 357 Magnum. That doesn't mean it isn't an effective cartridge. I just prefer semi-autos for several reasons. But I am a walking contradiction and do have an affinity for big bore revolvers. I love old wheelguns like the Colt and S&W 1917's and guns like the S&W Thunder Ranch. I hate to admit it but I also like guns like the Taurus 431 (NOT the new stuff! ) and the older Charter Arms Bulldog.

This new Ruger variant was announced shortly before Christmas and I placed an order right after seeing the review on Jeff Quinn's website.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100-44.htm

Well, the gun showed up with my dealer yesterday and I eagerly took delivery. Initial impressions are pretty good. I like the fiber optic front sight and the trigger is heavy but workable. There is a strong catch right when the cylinder stop pops into the notches but that can probably be tuned up. Single action is pretty crisp but with a bit of overtravel. Timing seems good and there doesn’t appear to be any excess play or shake in the cylinder.

The Hogue grips felt good but completely looked out of place on the gun. Too long in relation to the barrel! I took these off and replaced with a set of factory GP100 compact stocks. Much better and these should be a better choice for an "all around" carry gun.

I haven't shot the gun yet but do plan on hitting the range today. More to follow.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions, etc. Thanks for reading.

Revolver as currently configured

Galco SUM192B holster

The GP as it came out of the box

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Talked to my local gun seller and said he's got 3 of these babies coming this week.
    He also said that one will be set aside for me, I said I could not afford one right now.
    He said, no matter, it's yours when you get the money.
    Good friend and gun dealer who can read mines.
    Last edited by Hickory; 12-29-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Talked to my local gun seller and said he's got 3 of these babies coming this week.
    He also said that one will be set aside for me, I said I could not afford one right now.
    That's cool. Guns are shipping now so they should start turning up all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I like that guy. Force a neat gun on me, will you? Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    If I get my hands on one it probably follow me home.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When you get a chance PLEASE pin the cylinder throat diameters and tell us whether you will have to send the cylinder to DougGuy in order for it to shoot lead bullets... If Ruger follows its usual practice of making the cylinder throats too tight, you won't be able to use the gun "out of the box" and expect to hit anything with it.

To me having to load jacketed bullets in a case like a .44 Special is a non-starter...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

You guys are proof that when people see something really good,,, they jump on it.

I can tell you from vast experience that the true test of a product is when people look at it and their first response is to say "Yeah!"

We did it with the Ruger Scout, and Black Hawk .44 Special, and now with this one.

Home Run!!! and it just stepped up to bat!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Uh oh! I'm getting poor accuracy and/or keyholing at 25 yards. Ammo used was Underwood 245gr FMJ and Underwood 200gr JHP.

The 245 stuff shot a bit better but I still had some evidence of keyholing. The 200gr stuff all pretty much went completely sideways.

So what's the deal? A slight constriction in the barrel where the barrel meets the frame?

Unfortunately it looks like this one's going to have to go back for warranty....

Boolit Master
    Switch ammo, before you do anything. I have no problem with Underwood ammo, but some guns shoot one brand considerably better than another brand. I'D be interested in seeing how it shoots with the "Skeeter Skelton" load, 7.5/Unique/240-250LWC. Even if you do end up sending it back, knowing how the revolver behaves with cast projectiles could be of diagnostic value.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Switch ammo, before you do anything. I have no problem with Underwood ammo, but some guns shoot one brand considerably better than another brand. I'D be interested in seeing how it shoots with the "Skeeter Skelton" load, 7.5/Unique/240-250LWC. Even if you do end up sending it back, knowing how the revolver behaves with cast projectiles could be of diagnostic value.
    I agree with ^^^^

I would try some of my handloads before I returned that gun.

There is a good chance that it will still have to be returned...based on my recent experience with Ruger guns. The quality has gotten piss poor...

In the last 3yrs, I have bought 5 new Ruger revolvers...of those 5, 3 have had to be returned...that is Taurus level quality at Ruger prices.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 12-29-2016 at 05:08 PM.

I'll try some different ammo ASAP. Unfortunately nobody local has any so I'll have to mail order some.

Still waiting on my dies from Brownell's. Otherwise I'd load up some light target loads and try again.

With all that said I understand not all guns like all ammo. But the Underwood stuff gets favorable reviews.

Boolit Master
    well...hmmm

i have the gp100 in 357...and its little brother sp101 in 357.....i may get into trouble.

Boolit Master
    I have a Sp101, bought the Hogue grips, took em off and put the factory ones back on.

Being a ruger, one would imagine warmer 44 spcl loads could be used?

I took my SP apart and just polished up some stuff, replaced some springs, way better. When I got it felt like it had sand in it.

Vendor Sponsor

See what will and what will not poke through the cylinder throats from the front.

Also, could you give us an approximate cylinder wall thickness at the back of the cylinder please? I would like to compare this measurement, with the same measurement on the Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special... Interested to see if it is thinner or thicker.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I wonder about the cylinder thickness at notch for the stop latch. And odd number holes in the cylinder puts the notch between the chambers.

Boolit Master
    I have not yet encountered a .44 Special or .44 Mag, revolver or carbine, that didn't shoot at least passably well with the load I mentioned above. I HAVE NOT shot that load in any Charter Arms revolvers, and probably never will. My Taurus M431 shot it and almost every other load well. The Taurus was just a shade too light for shooting Skeeter's load in it to be comfortable enough for EveryDay Carry. 6.5/Unique/215 or 240 SWC worked very nicely in that revolver.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

No photos but I put 50 rounds of Magtech 240gr lead and the rest of the boxes of 245gr and 200gr Underwood stuff.

The 200gr just won't group at all and will keyhole most of the time.

The 245gr FMJ sort of shoots but will throw one round way outside the rest of the group and will occasionally keyhole.

I saw no evidence of keyholing with the 240gr Magtech but this load still doesn't shoot like I think the gun should. Best five shot group with this ammo was probably about six inches.

Maybe I'll see if I can't scare up a box of Black Hills or something. But at this point I think the gun needs a trip back to the factory...

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I have not yet encountered a .44 Special or .44 Mag, revolver or carbine, that didn't shoot at least passably well with the load I mentioned above. I HAVE NOT shot that load in any Charter Arms revolvers, and probably never will. My Taurus M431 shot it and almost every other load well. The Taurus was just a shade too light for shooting Skeeter's load in it to be comfortable enough for EveryDay Carry. 6.5/Unique/215 or 240 SWC worked very nicely in that revolver.
    We shoot small numbers of the Skeeter load in our Charter's...they have shown no problems, so far. We have a Bulldog and a Bulldog Target, both shoot it well...like all other .44 Specials.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    No photos but I put 50 rounds of Magtech 240gr lead and the rest of the boxes of 245gr and 200gr Underwood stuff.

The 200gr just won't group at all and will keyhole most of the time.

The 245gr FMJ sort of shoots but will throw one round way outside the rest of the group and will occasionally keyhole.

I saw no evidence of keyholing with the 240gr Magtech but this load still doesn't shoot like I think the gun should. Best five shot group with this ammo was probably about six inches.

Maybe I'll see if I can't scare up a box of Black Hills or something. But at this point I think the gun needs a trip back to the factory...

You might have another experienced shooter, give the gun a try.

And, if you are not an experienced revolver shooter...short barreled revolvers can have a learning curve. I would pull that target up to 10yds and see what the results are. If it drills them at 10...shooter error is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    You might have another experienced shooter, give the gun a try.
    Yep. Same results.

Also keyholing is not shooter induced.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast