Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee pot won't get as hot anymore?

Boolit Buddy

Lee pot won't get as hot anymore?

I've got a Lee 20lb. production pot I've been using for several years, and normily will run up around 800 deg. with no problem. The last couple of times though it will barrely break 700 deg., no matter how long I leave it running. Think the heating element is going out, or what?

Thanks, Will

Boolit Master
    When was the last time you cleaned it?

Long time ago I didn't think this was an issue then I "discovered" Marvlux and started fluxing with that.

Things went well for a long time and then, suddenly, the unit just wouldn't get hot enough to get the job done.

Fortunately A good freind had some experience with this particular flux a few years earlier than I had and he suggested draining and cleaning the pot with a wire brush in a drill.

Wearing a dust mask of course. Turns out Marvlux is a bit on the corrosive side. I found the sides about a 1/4 inch thick with a corroded crud that acted as insulation!

Once this was "ground" out the old lee worked as if it was new!

I now use Marvlux only when smelting and use a wax based flux for my casting pots which does not leave any build up at all!

So are you useing Marvlux? If so check the sides of the pot and look for that encrusted insulation and grind it out!

Banned

i dont think mine has ever gone over 650 even when new.
    it will hold between 610 and 630 if i have it full and don't stir it.
    which is fine with me as that is where i like it.

Boolit Grand Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204

A bit down the page from my opening rant, we get into a discussion on fixing my pot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, it sounds like a bad thermostat. You can tweek it yourself if you're so inclined.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, got it fixed. It was the thermostat. At max setting it would get up to just over 700 deg and cycle on and off. A little tweek on the set-point and cleaned the points and it'll run up above 800 with no problem. I normaly don't run that hot unless casting pure lead.

I just started using marvlux, been using black powder bullet lube. I'll keep the marvlux for casting ignots, and keep using the bullet lube for casting bullets.

There was some crud build up, but not a lot.

Thanks for the help, I apreciate it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad you got it going. I've been using Marvelux for many years, and it has never built up enough slag to effect heating.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore