Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning mold before casting

Boolit Grand Master

Cleaning mold before casting

Did some casting the last few days.
    I WD40 my molds before putting then away.
    Need to degrease and clean before casting.
    Normally use soap and not water with a tooth brush.
    Don't know why I tried it, but I sprayed it with Windex glass cleaner before scrubbing with soap first.
    Seemed to work really well.
    I'm thinking the ammonia cut through the grime and WD40, while the soap helped washed it away.
    Try it and see what you think.

WD40 also on steel molds then kept in a screw top container, but a quick spray of brake cleaner and no scrubbing, preheat and they run.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I spray mine with RemOil and put in a ziplock bag for storing. Then if I see any excess oil on them when I mount em up, I hit them with toothbrush and Dawn. If I don't see any liquid oil, I skip the scrub and just start casting. I guess any residue just steams off during the first couple of pours.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been looking for screw top containers large enough to hold molds with handles.
    Can't seem to find any.
    I use zip lock bags, but they don't seem to last long.
    Everything here rust very fast.
    All the salt air.

Boolit Grand Master

Zip locks and other plastic bags containing hard sharp edges (molds) aren't moisture proof for very long. Once moisture is inside they retain it to cause the problem they're meant to avoid.
    I remove the handles and spritz with any oil, before storing in an ammo can. The molds are then much easier to store in any waterproof container. Just remember to first remove any fingerprints and such.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    a light shot of graphite spray after use protects them.

then just use them.

no greasing them....no de-greasing them.

i doesn't have to be that hard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    a light shot of graphite spray after use protects them.

then just use them.

no greasing them....no de-greasing them.

i doesn't have to be that hard.
    Doesn't the graphite spray build up over time?
    do you coat the whole mold including sprue?
    What graphite spray do you use?

Boolit Master
    i spray the whole thing LIGHTLY with 3m spray graphite.

casting with it in the cavities won't hurt anything.

i doubt it builds up....but then i cast only once a year, but continuously with the same mold until i'm done.
    that may be 3 days of casting full time....then a different mold....and so on.

they get a detailed cleaning once a year....sprayed and put back into the rack i've made.

brand name is "3M" ​green can

Boolit Grand Master

I spray my molds with whatever kind of oil that I use on my guns. Usually some type of electrical grade penetrating oil, mostly because I always had this around. I'll spray them with some type of electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner and give them a light scrubbing with a tooth brush before casting. I store them in 50 cal ammo cans. Arkansas is pretty humid and metal can rust quickly.

Banned
    I use Kroil for short term storage of molds and RIG for long term. Obviously both of those products must be removed prior to casting with the mold but that's the price I'm willing to pay to avoid rust.

I've used carb cleaner and brake cleaner to degrease molds but those products are expensive. The aerosol can makes them easier to use but the cost is high. Denatured alcohol and/or acetone will degrease a mold quite effectively and those products are very affordable.

Boolit Grand Master

If your moulds are iron the Windex shouldn't hurt them but I wouldn't be putting anything with ammonia on aluminum or brass moulds as it will remove the protective oxide layer and can etch the material and/or cause stress corrosion cracking.

Dish soap and water is safe as are solvents like mineral spirits and brake cleaner.

I oil all my moulds regardless of mould block material because they all have steel sprue plates and alignment pins. I hate rust! All I do is wipe them off with a paper towel or rag then pre-heat and cast. No problems.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    WD40 lube, remove with charcoal starter, acetone, O/C mineral spirits, whatever I have on hand.

Boolit Master

Find a Rubbermaid tub with a sealing lid that you can place the mold and handles into completely and then drop a couple silica packets that can control the humidity in the box in-between uses. That should help you with the salt/humid air in Hawaii. Myself, I store my Non-LEE molds separate from their handles. Those handles exposed metal gets spray painted with high-temp engine paint to prevent any rusting and the molds get rubber-banded together and then stored in a sealed box with the silica packets to keep the humidity low. My LEE molds I'm not as worried as I can hit the handles and sprue plates with the high-temp engine paint without any worries about the aluminum mold exterior being affected.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've been looking for screw top containers large enough to hold molds with handles.
    Can't seem to find any.
    All the salt air.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

I figger oil and water don't mix, so I clean my molds with brake clean (either chlorinated or unchlorinated). I've scrubbed with Dawn and a stiff brush, but for quick cleaning, just spray w/brake clean...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Pringles can?
    Maybe with some grease around the inside of the lid to help seal and keep ambient air/moisture out?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    WD40 also on steel molds then kept in a screw top container, but a quick spray of brake cleaner and no scrubbing, preheat and they run.
    After each use I spray my Lyman molds with Liquid Wrench and store wrapped in a cloth in a sealed plastic container. A spray with W-mart brake cleaner and pre-heat yields perfect boolits on the first cast. Handles stored separately with a light coat of oil on the metal

Moderator Emeritus

For me, Plano plastic boxes work super! I have a label pasted to each end of box, and they stack well. On eBay, a place called ZORO sells them quite cheaply, too. I complement the moulds, stored with handle attached and top punch, pins, spru-oil, allen wrench, and whatever for each mould in the one compartment the mould is stored in. I attached a photo, and as you can see each box nicely and safely stores four "big" moulds, while SC Lymans and the like can be doubled in each compartment, affording storage for eight.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould boxes1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	184201
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

I just wipe mine clean with a shop cloth and store. The iron molds I do put a light spray of silicone on.. and wipe dry..

Boolit Master
    Food service gallon containers ? Like dressings.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Can't seem to find any.
    All the salt air.

Boolit Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast