WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Hodgson Annual Manuel

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of manuals. That said, printers, paper punches and three ring binders are my friends.
    R.D.M.

In Remembrance

The thought that immediately enters my mind about data on a computer site is.....doesn`t anyone own a printer that is hooked up with your computer so you can print it off?Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    I'd imagine the folks that think the Internet and electricity will last forever are reloading for different reasons than most of us. I'm a pessimist and have planned accordingly.
    I'm not sure you are pessimistic. My concern is the the digital age will leave nothing for future generations. After all; how many of you have a PC that can accept a floppy disc or even CD now?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

A guy can never have too many load manuals.

Been going through my Dad's stuff lately and he has powders that haven't been made in years that are still good. Got about four pounds of old Alcan 120, darn little data for it. A few others too. Fortunately, he had enough loading manuals amassed over the decades that I managed to find enough data to put it to use.

Boolit Grand Master

There's something about laying out two or three manuals with your load log or notebook and trying to come up with a load that will work for your situation. For some reason I'm more comfortable doing that than jumping from site to site. And yes, at least one will probably be "out of date" but still quite useful.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

They send them out free if you fill out the form on line. I think it takes about 6 weeks to arrive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    They send them out free if you fill out the form on line. I think it takes about 6 weeks to arrive though.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes the do...or they did.
    I got the 2016 paper manual sent to me.
    When I seen this post, I went to their website to try and get the 2017, and could not find where to submit for the new 2017 paper manual for free???

I'll have to check with the LGS, on my next visit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    When the loading data is all available online why purchase the manual?
    Ever have a GPS go dead on you? A compass and a topo will always work, same as a reloading manual. I also just like to hold something and browse through it. Besides, my hunting camp is a number of miles from any internet.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    ...... I also just like to hold something and browse through it.
    This.

The problem with internet catalogs, or internet manuals, is that you have to know what you are looking for to find it.
    A paper manual or catalog can be browsed. One can leisurely leaf through, discovering new and interesting tidbits. Websites have their place, and I use them extensively, but nothing beats a book or catalog in hand.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a little leery of the 357 Sig loads now. They list only a max charge of 800-X at 9.0 grains w/ a 147 grain XTP. Case was full to the top. It's not denoted as a compressed charge. 8.5 grains was still in the neck. I backed off a full grain because of this. If it was marked as a compressed charge I wouldn't be as worried.

Boolit Master

I look at Hodgdon's yearly magazine as an annual update for my 1st ED LEE Reloading book. I have seen a change in the recommended powder ranges several times for various rifles and pistols over the years as the canister lots get updated or even discontinued (IMR 4007SSC was one of my favorite medium-slow powders but it was recalled and discontinued by Hodgdon in 2015 while I still had several pounds left.)
    I don't believe the new Red or Green load data was in the annual but I saw those powders for the first time in the gunshop last week when I had to restock some H380.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Hard copies are great to read when sitting on the throne! Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

I swing both ways. On my library bookshelves are reloading manuals/mfg. pamphlets going back to the late 1960's...all well-thumbed and dog-eared with post-it tabs marking specific calibers for quick reference. Above my reloading bench, are Lee's 'Modern Reloading', Water's 'Pet Handloads', and the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (4th edition) so, obviously, I like having hard-copy available. But, on the other hand, these days I don't often sit down at my bench without my HP laptop within reach. I've got Wi-Fi off my cable ISP. so online resources are immediately available, as well.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 04-14-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have printed out numerous pages of load data from Accurate, Lyman #48. It is so much easier to review 20 printed pages of data that all directly pertain to cartridges I load for rather than having to thumb through large volumes to find the pages I'm looking for. The printed pages take up so much less space and it's easier to keep in a handy location. I also feel less guilty about scribbling notes on the printed pages and the back sides are blank allowing my to jot down notes regarding differing OAL's and load data that has worked out well in the past.

Boolit Master
    Good info, but quit calling me "Manuel".

Wish I had the printed manuals that I lost when the basement (and reloading cave) flooded a couple of years ago. Still haven't recovered all the way. Can reload some and still planning to put it in the garage and set it up different. But you can say I'm a paper guy but will look up on the internet too.

There is this techy thing called a printer I use it! works great!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Grand Master

My hunting camp also has no power or cell service. Us old folk like a printed manual to look at.
    Last edited by jonp; 04-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    I'd imagine the folks that think the Internet and electricity will last forever are reloading for different reasons than most of us. I'm a pessimist and have planned accordingly.
    Nothing wrong with being ready when the time.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12