Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt crimp die ?

Boolit Buddy

45 colt crimp die ?

Just wondering what crimp die everyone is using lee factory or lee collet?

Thanks Scott

Boolit Buddy
    I use my RCBS dies has a roll crimp..

Banned

Dillon in the 650 and rcbs in the 550.

Vendor Sponsor

I don't think many use the FCD with the carbide ring in the bottom as it will size a .452" boolit down inside the case and then you don't have much neck tension either, and there is no need for a taper crimp on a rimmed cartridge, so that leaves us with the standard roll crimp which will suffice in about 100% of the applications for the 45 Colt.

Personally I use the roll crimp on all but the heavies and for those I like a modified collet crimp. As it is factory issued, the crimp band is up on the boolit itself ahead of the case mouth and to this day I have yet to figure out what good crimping the boolit ahead of the case does, so I modify mine and make the crimp band narrower, and I also shorten the collet to position the crimp band slightly below the case mouth. Mods detailed in this post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315

This crimp is on the extreme. It WILL NOT allow any boolit movement at all until ignition of powder. It is the only crimp I would use in dangerous game country. It also lessens extreme spread by a documentable amount as it provides a goodly amount of resistance which takes burning powder gas to move the boolit, which a lesser crimp can often allow premature boolit movement just by the pressure of primer ignition.. It is perfect for soft alloys above a gas check and full house loads of H110 as soft alloys need more crimp than hard alloys to keep the boolit seated in place in the case. Soft alloys under enough recoil can swage into a roll crimp that will allow the base of the boolit to move slightly which is just enough to open groups, i.e. cause the pistol to shoot to a different point of impact than intended.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the factory crimp. Especially for rifle loads in the lever guns

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I use the lee factory crimp dies on my 45 colt and 454 casull with .454 boolits and the ring in the die dosnt touch them. It puts a pretty good roll crimp on them depending on how you adjust it they been working good for me.

Boolit Master

I use a separate lee crimp die for mine, not the FCD.

Collet type.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I use a .45 ACP taper crimp die made by Redding, to crimp heavy .45 Colt loads. I use it after seating, in a separate step. Not exactly playing by the rules, but it certainly works. It's one of the best reloading purchases I ever made, and I won't load heavy .45 Colt loads without using it.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 12-28-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I find that the Redding crimp die over-sizes the case, reducing bullet diameter.....not good for my 1973-vintage .454" Ruger BH cylinder throats. The standard RCBS seating/crimp die works better. A slight mod to the Lee non-carbide crimp die gives great crimps without squeezing the bullet. Both work for me, but regardless, the best crimps require a separate crimping operation.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    I find that the Redding crimp die over-sizes the case, reducing bullet diameter.....not good for my 1973-vintage .454" Ruger BH cylinder throats. The standard RCBS seating/crimp die works better. A slight mod to the Lee non-carbide crimp die gives great crimps without squeezing the bullet. Both work for me, but regardless, the best crimps require a separate crimping operation.
    What mod do you make on the Lee die? Thanks....charlie

Banned

I seat and crimp in one step with my Hornady dies. Just get the boolit so the top of the case is at the top of the groove. I roll only to the bottom of the groove since I depend on case tension. Even Lee chicken scratch grooves don't move out.
    Many years ago when shooting IHMSA I tested crimps from none, shooting the revolver single shot all the way to full profile and never found a difference.
    However I use a Fed 150 in the .44 and .45 Colt but WLP had a good showing in the .45. 296 powder. 320 to 335 in the .45. (actually the 320 Lyman drops at 342 gr.) Real thumper. Need Pachmeyer grips on my Vaquero. I never found anyone that shot all six shots with the wood panels! Now I never tried to turn the Colt into a magnum either, just accurate. The caliber does not need driven. A .454 it is NOT. But recoil can be as bad as the .454 or worse.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee FCD.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    I use the Lee FCD.
    So do I

Vendor Sponsor

Crimp built into the RCBS dies
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Roll Crimp
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CITYREPO61 View Post
    So do I
    Same here

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Banned

I use both the special order Lee collet dies and Redding Profile for cast and FCD for jacketed.

Boolit Grand Master

Using my Ruger Bisley Convertible (with .4525" reamed throats) and .452" bullets I use the Lee FCD. When using the .45ACP cylinder, I also use the Lee FCD. Of course, the .45 Colt is roll crimped and the ACP is taper crimped.

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast