MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 colt crimp die ?

Boolit Master
    I use the heavy crimp FCD that ca=me with my 454 Casull die set for heavy 45LC's . Had too in my SRH 454 cause I had some jump the crimp in heavy loads - not a fun time. In my current 45LC RH I haven't shot anything that heavy. Found no need for such abuse! As a Lee 300gr over 14.5 gr of 2400 at 950ish FPS does anything I need done. I save the heavy loads for the 454 '92 Puma!

I believe the Lee crimp die in the 45 Colt die set applies a roll crimp. As does the .38 special / .357 the verbiage in their 4 die set says factory crimp, so maybe my set the crimp die is before they started including the carbide sizing ring? At one point I called Lee and was told the crimp in a die set for pistol was the correct one for that round. Taper for auto loaders that head space off the mouth, roll crimp for revolvers. The collet die squeezes a ring into the brass, and the bullet. I thought it was working the brass too much for my needs in a revolver target round. Heavier load or bullet it might provide an advantage. Google images for collet crimp die and you will see what I mean, it is a solid crimp. There is this picture and post here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ndgun-Calibers

I do know I bought an older used 357 two die set just so I could use the seat/crimp die as a crimp die in my set. I like Lee having a seating only die, works well with the Lee 4 hole turret. It also makes changing bullet profile easier, crimp die doesn't change when I switch to a different bullet, the case is the same just the seating depth required to seat bullet to COAL changes between RN, RFN, & WC bullets.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I use Lee factory crimp with just enough crimp to see it on the case.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

What to watch for with extra crimp dies. Most made for jacketed so a boolit that fits the gun will not fit the die. As you try to crimp, the die will push the boolit deeper. This one needs lapped out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimp die.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	193791 These are Hornady and I had to lap the floating seat die out. This boolit is .476".

Boolit Grand Master
    I seat and roll crimp in one step with my RCBS die. This works for me with most cartridges, not just the straight walled ones.

Robert

Seat in RCBS die and crimp in Lee FCD. Started doing it separately when the RCBS die just would not work correctly to do it in one step.

Dillon on the 550. Redding profile crimp single stage. I won't use a Lee FCD on a sized cast bullet; as it post sizes the bullet down too small. Lee FCD only for p/j word boolits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12