Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Onion Soup

Boolit Grand Master

French Onion Soup

I made this Friday and have enough for a generous bowl tomorrow.

1/2 stick butter and a tablespoon of EVOO
    3 lg. onions sliced thin. I used Vidalia sweet onions.
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 rounded teaspoon flour for thickening
    1 box Swanson's beef broth
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup dry red wine. I adjusted for taste.
    1 French baguette. I used a whole grain garlic baguette

8 oz. or more of Swiss, Gruyere, or Provolone cheese. I used a Swiss/Gruyere mix from Trader Joe's.
    Jarlsburg Swiss if you're really decadent. I put a slice of provolone on before the Swiss/Gruyere mix.

Melt butter and EEOV in a 4 quart saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until they turn golden and caramelize a bit. Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup. Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Put cheese on the toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.

Bake at 425˚ until to these is melted and bubbling on the edges.

This is to die for.

Shiloh
    Last edited by Shiloh; 12-26-2016 at 09:31 PM.
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

you say stir in sugar and stir in flour how much?

Boolit Master
    Fry the onions with a little sugar takes the bitterness away .bake bread drizzeled in olive oil till crisp for crutons.

I will try this. Need a trip to the super to gather the ingredients. Sounds very nice.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by duke76 View Post
    you say stir in sugar and stir in flour how much?
    Sorry. Teaspoon sugar heaping teaspoon flour. Fixed.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I will try this. Need a trip to the super to gather the ingredients. Sounds very nice.
    And easy. 20 minutes tops to cut and brown onions, 10 minutes simmer after a boil. Toast croutons, melt cheese, enjoy. So easy for something that tastes so wonderful.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Ok, I'll bite - what's "EVOO/EEOV"?

Boolit Buddy
    Probably extra virgin olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    Hmm, good point.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    Correct.
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Banned

This sounds delicious! Thanks for the motivatin'

Boolit Master

That's what I was planning to serve with prime rib on NY along with either a baker or horseradished mashed tatters steam broccoli a salad and creme brulee (sp).

I add tyme and sherry to my onion zoup. Good eats anyway it is made. Mmmmmm

Boolit Buddy
    In the early 80's I lived in Reidsville GA, a major Vidalia Onion area. I was a farm lender and financed a lot of the growers. The first year we had a glut of onions and the price fell to nothing. Our farmers were always dropping off onions at the office, not just a bag or two, but 200-300 lbs at a time.

We gave a lot away and I ate way more than my share. I made a lot of onion soup. I would dice them, brown in a little bacon drippings, toss in a pot, fill pot with more diced onions a little water, chicken bouillon, a little butter and garlic salt. Simmer until it all soft. Cut up a couple of pieces of bread in 6-8 pieces, toast and lay on top of a bowl of soup, sprinkle with cheese, brown in the toaster oven.

About 3 bowls was all I could eat for supper...man it was good stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been making it a lot lately.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Love french onion soup and make it frequently-nothing better on a cold winter day.
    The recipe I use calls for a couple of tablespoons of Brandy (instead of red wine) and a couple of ounces of Stilton cheese mixed into the soup when cooking.
    I dont know if Stilton is readily available in the US but I would think any strong blue veined cheese is worth a try.

Boolit Grand Master
    Made another batch. I put a slab of leftover pork loin in a container for lunch during the week The folks in the break room complimented.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Thanks
    We had this last night . Its was great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned
    absolutely amazing!!

Boolit Master

I used this recipe for dinner last night came out fantastic!!! Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad all enjoyed. Gonna try variations of the croutons. This is so easy, tastes so good, seems to get better with age. After 4 1/2 still good.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast