WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How bad does a rifle bore have to be before it won't shoot well?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Well I have a J.P. Sauer Und Shon 98 Mauser Bore was trash Throat was out to .330"
    Here is the bore and here are the best target I have shot with a downed sized NOE 340 Bullet
    Attachment 184241Attachment 184242

I find with a worn bore; a long boolit which is sized .002" to .003" larger seems to bring them back to life
    Did you use aluminium gas checks in them? Where did you bought them?

S

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    Did you use aluminium gas checks in them? Where did you bought them?

S
    No; This was a plain base boolit Alloy was 50% COWW/ 50 % Pure
    Jim
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Well I have a J.P. Sauer Und Shon 98 Mauser Bore was trash Throat was out to .330"
    Here is the bore and here are the best target I have shot with a downed sized NOE 340 Bullet
    Attachment 184241Attachment 184242

I find with a worn bore; a long boolit which is sized .002" to .003" larger seems to bring them back to life
    Yes that barrel looks hammered, worse than many I've seen. The group to the left looks very good for a plain based cast bullet at about 11-1200 fps? was this a 50 yard group? I would like to see you put a couple thousand rounds(pure lino would "lap" it quicker) of the sized down 338 bullets through it and post another picture of bore and target, bet that barrel would look a lot smoother.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Yes 50 yards.
    BTW that bore was fired lapped a few winters ago using industrial diamond grits starting with 150 grit for 10 shots, 240 for 40 shots, 320 for 40 shots and 400 for 50 shots.
    So this photo shows the improved bore So you may have an idea what it originally looked like. (I didn't have a bore scope back then to get a photo)
    That is why it is now .332 cal
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    "That is why it is now .332 cal "

Well that's one way to develop a Wildcat. We can name it the .332 Filips ultra magnum.

Boolit Master
    Well I don't know about that ( especially the magnum part) I like to shoot boolits slow.

Seriously; it is a Nice historic rifle and is covered with a lot of Waffen Marks so I couldn't just up and swap out a new barrel.
    Figured if I could get it to shoot better then it did when it was gifted to me I would be happy enough.
    Now it is at least enjoyable to shoot from time to time plus it was a learning experience in firelapping

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have a 1873 Winchester 32-20 with a pitted bore, moon scape throat and interrupted (missing parts) rifling. You would think it was a total wreck fit for the tomato patch.
    Have used it for many years (25+) as my primary under 50 yards ground hog rifle. Never shot it at 100 yards. But at 35 yards it will easily hold minute of ground hog. I do use the fattest cast it will chamber (.315+) and a modest load of 4 grains Unique or 17 grains 3F. I was going to re-line this past summer when up north there but yet could not as it will still "thwap" ground hogs at the river bottom ranges I hunt.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123