MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOE 311-202-RN--Mixed Feelings...

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem today with my NOE 5 cavity HG34 clone . I got mine to putting out good bullets by turning the lead up to 700 and really heating the mold on a hot plate . I'm used to Lyman steel molds and this is a different beast . Run the mold hot and fast with a generous spruce seemed to work for me . When they started to wrinkle I would put it back on the hot plate and grab another mold .

Boolit Grand Master

As said already... cast hot and fast. Pre-heat the mould until sprue plate lube just starts to smoke which is a bit hot for casting but is a good starting point. The first few pours will take a few seconds for the sprue to harden then the mould will cool a bit. keep casting fast and steady with hot alloy.

I have the same mould in 0.316" and it acts like a brass mould ~ likes hot alloy and fast steady casting to keep the mould blocks hot. If you keep the mould blocks hot you should have no trouble with stickers.

I cut the sprue while the alloy is still a bit soft then drop boolits out onto a soft towel.

It works for me.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Well, I thought I would just follow-up on this topic I started so the thread doesn’t necessarily hang there…

The final boolits I cast at a quite high temperature--800°+ and most were good…

I continue to have the problem with the boolits sticking on the side under the sprue plate…

Before I put the mold away, I did use a bit of steel wool on a dowel to polish the cavities. I also cleaned the mold with brake solvent and then thoroughly cleaned with Dawn and hot water using a toothbrush. This is my normal cleaning method on all dies. I then put it on a hot water heating run in my house and left it dry completely…

Now we will see what the next casting session brings!...

Just a couple of comments on the boolits:

1. They are of ample diameter to size to 0.311”. That is what I am doing…

2. The front section of the boolit is 0.301+ so it fits the bore nicely. It won’t enter the end of the
    Barrel so it probably actually grabs the grooves slightly…

3. I loaded some for my T/C Contender in 30-30 Winchester. It shoots amazingly well—actually
    Better than the 311041 and it was very accurate. The 311-202-RN will rattle my 5.5”x11”
    Steel at 250 yards from a good bench rest—I can’t ask for better than that…

Now, if it will just perform in my 30-40 Krag barrel I have on order from MGM…

Thanks all…BCB

I too have had issues with the first couple of sessions with NOE moulds. Nonetheless, as stated above, a couple of hundred bullets will solve the problems and you will be another loyal NOE customer. I only wish he carried more stock on hand...
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12