Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 special/44-40

44 special/44-40

Good morning
    I shoot a Uberti Henry 44/40 in civil war Skirmishing, I use the Lee dies and want to use a carbide sizing die, but as far as I know, no one makes one. My thought is maybe a 44 special carbide sizing die would work....just to size the neck. Has anyone tried this?
    Thanks, ironbrigade.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .44-40 brass is much thinner in wall thickness than .44 Special and I am fairly certain that the carbide ring of a .44 Special sizer would NOT neck size .44-40 brass enough to hold the bullet securely against compression of the magazine spring. If you have the .44 Special sizer, it wouldn't hurt to try a few, but I'm betting against it, just based upon the SAAMI maximum cartridge dimensions at the case mouth, there is about 0.010" difference...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I tried it....the .44 Special carbide sizer will not reduce the .44-40 case enough.

In Remembrance

iron brigade,

As you know, the .44-40 is a bottle-necked case. Carbide dies are only made for straight-sided cartridge cases. You can neck-size with the full length sizing die by backing it off far enough so that it won't set the shoulder back. That would provide better accuracy than full-length sizing but not reduce the need for lubing cases. The Henry rifle feeds full-length sized reloads reliably but may become stiff with neck-sized only cases, Yeah, .44-40 reloading is a pain compared to .44 special, but that's the price of authenticity.

Perm-Banned
    i have lee dies for my 44/40 which i load for and shoot in my uberti 1875 remington revolver. did not like the lee crimping die at all and bought a RCBS 44/40 crimping die and it does the job way better. the 44/40 is a fussy case to load for but it can be done correctly. my 45 long colt is extemely simple and easy to load for. have fun.

Boolit Master
    Iron, when I'm loading for my .44/40's I just use the standard sizer die without case lube. Your only resizing the case mouth from the shoulder up so there is not realy a whole lot of contact with the case web (kinda like neck sizing) they work fine in my uberti henry and original 92 src. I'm using rcbs dies and clean remington brass that has been tumbled in lyman green.

Boolit Master

For those who load thin neck 44-40s and have difficulty with the crimping operation, be reminded of the Lee collet crimper, which has no tendency to fold down the neck in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Iron, when I'm loading for my .44/40's I just use the standard sizer die without case lube. Your only resizing the case mouth from the shoulder up so there is not realy a whole lot of contact with the case web (kinda like neck sizing) they work fine in my uberti henry and original 92 src. I'm using rcbs dies and clean remington brass that has been tumbled in lyman green.
    Thanks for all the great replies. I was going to try sizing without lube but feared wearing out the die prematurely. Will try it though. I use starline brass and 34 grains of 2f old eyensford with a accurate mold 210 grain bullet. It is a big lube groove design and is quite accurate. Sized to .429. I use the Lee crimp die and once set have had no problems.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    iron brigade,

As you know, the .44-40 is a bottle-necked case. Carbide dies are only made for straight-sided cartridge cases. You can neck-size with the full length sizing die by backing it off far enough so that it won't set the shoulder back. That would provide better accuracy than full-length sizing but not reduce the need for lubing cases. The Henry rifle feeds full-length sized reloads reliably but may become stiff with neck-sized only cases, Yeah, .44-40 reloading is a pain compared to .44 special, but that's the price of authenticity.
    Almost true!
    Dillon does a .223 and .308 dieset with carbide sizer. They still need to get lubed it's just for durability.

I recently came upon a "bubba'd" original M92 in 44-40. Spent quite a bit of time getting it functional and safe to use (another story) though it was inherently sound and cycles smoothly. The groove diameter is 0.433. While it shoots usably with .427 200gr slugs (they seem to "bump up" to fill the barrel) I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate makes the 43-200QL heeled bullet with stop-ring nose to load for original Winchester rifles having tight-necked chambers which preclude loading a bullet large enough to fit an oversized barrel. The driving bands are .428 and the .440 nose can be sized to whatever diameter is needed to fit the barrel. The concept has been well proven in original 1873s with groove diameters of .435" and larger.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...43-200QL-D.png
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-03-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I load 38-40 and 44-40 and I set the dies to neck size only. I keep a tub of Unique case lube on the bench and I might smear just a smidge on the neck of every 5th case or so. I don't think you're going to wear a steel sizing die out with brass cases.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I happened to have a "dummy" made up with a hard cast .429 240gr 44mag bullet, so I thought I'd prime it and slug the bore. I made my first mistake loading it into the magazine. It was too long to feed into the action.

After I got it out I inserted it into the chamber (no resistance) and fired it. The bullet went over an inch up the barrel (magnum rifle primer). It miked out at .433 right at the base; so it slugged up with just the primer.
    I'm loading it with .427 200gr slugs to black powder levels since the ammo is also used in a revolver.
    If I can't get them to shoot OK I'll look into a "special" mould, though fired cases accept at least .430 slugs. I may try loading some more 44mag bullets single shot style to see how they work.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Master
    I also have the Uberti Henry, and I only neck size, and have no feeding issues. Just watch your over all length closely.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

I happen to have a set of carbide 44 special/magnum dies. I'll try backing the sizing die out so it only does the neck and use the expander/neck bell die. I have another die that will just punch out the primers. All this is to try some larger diameter bullets that might fill the bore better. IF I get this to work (or not) I'll report on the results.
    Thomas Paine:

"The .44-40 brass is much thinner in wall thickness than .44 Special and I am fairly certain that the carbide ring of a .44 Special sizer would NOT neck size .44-40 brass enough to hold the bullet securely"

As it turns out this is absolutely true. I still have to use the 44-40 sizing die, followed by the 44 mag expanding-neck flaring die.
    Thomas Paine:

Thanks for doing that. I have since moved on and continue to full length size my brass.

Thankful I can use a 480 ruger carbide die to size my 577/450 cases. Works real well. Fun rifles to shoot those martini Henry's, have two.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I load 38-40 and 44-40 and I set the dies to neck size only. I keep a tub of Unique case lube on the bench and I might smear just a smidge on the neck of every 5th case or so. I don't think you're going to wear a steel sizing die out with brass cases.

35W

This what I do with my 44/40 Uberti Henry and 38/40 Uberti '73 carbine cases, works well for me too!

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    You should be able to neck size with a FL die. There may be some sizing of the body as well, with some rifles, but it is unlikely to be undesirable with a modern one.

You could make up a neck sizer with a carbide bushing of the kind used in drilling jigs. You would simply have just about any kind of die, or a ⅞ - 14 die, bored to ⅝in. (in the examples in this catalogue), and solder or epoxy the bushing in place:

http://www.eesp.co/drill_jig_bushings.pdf

I think they may be obtainable in fine graduations of ID, but 7/16in. at .4375in. should be fine for expanding to the .44-40 OD of .443in. If you want it closer, it could be lapped with diamond paste, which you can buy amazingly cheaply for diamonds from eBay or a lapidary shop.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Thanks for all the great replies. I was going to try sizing without lube but feared wearing out the die prematurely. Will try it though. I use starline brass and 34 grains of 2f old eyensford with a accurate mold 210 grain bullet. It is a big lube groove design and is quite accurate. Sized to .429. I use the Lee crimp die and once set have had no problems.
    Not going to wear the die out but you will very likely stick a case in the die . Lube is to keep the case from sticking in the die . Brass is softer than steel and would not wear the die . I have a set of C&H .22-250 dies with a case that has been stuck for 45 years . I left it in the die and keep it on my bench to remind myself to never again forget to lube the case .

Eddie

P.S. Who do you shoot while skirmishing with your Uberti ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast