Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which Lee progressive press?

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I don't mean to be picky but if there is a simple adjustment made because of an issue, wouldn't the number of issues be higher than zero?
    If one has to make an adjustment to a die or measure does that constitute an issue?

Boolit Grand Master

Die or measure, no. Adjustment to the press then yes.

Boolit Mold
    I have been reloading for about 8 years and I was self taught. My only experience is with Lee products. I own all there presses with the exception of the pro1000. I think the turret is the best way to go. It can be used as a single stage to do bullet resizing and etc. You can get many add on features for the turret such as auto filling the case with powder in addition to depriming and repriming. Unless you get the bullet feeder for the progressive you need to do that by hand. In my opinion you can run a turret as fast as a progressive because there will always be an issue I.e. flipped case, no more primers, flipped primers and etc. And what you lack with a progressive the turret makes up with precision. Again in my opinion the turret allows me to quality control better.

Boolit Buddy

I have a LM and three Pro 1000 presses. The only time I had any problems from any of them was error on my part. The Lee presses require "rythem" and once you get that down you're good. The Pro 1000 priming issues that I experienced was simply powder getting spilled in the shell plate causing the priming system to fail. Luckily I investigated and found the problem and solved the issue before anything bad happened. Now with that being said, I slowed down paying attention to what was going on at all three stations and figured out where my mistakes were. Once I found the rythem I had no more problems.

With all of my Lee progressive presses I take my time setting them up correctly. I make sure everything is running smoothly before actually loading live ammo. I also installed bullet feeders on all of them and on the Pro 1000's I took some old smart phones apart for the button vibrators and installed on the primer trays. I used the chargers for the phones with a micro button switch mounted on the handle. About every fourth round, I just bump the button and the primer chute stays full. As of now I don't have one on my Loadmaster, but so far I haven't had any problems with the priming system on it.

With short cases like the 9mm, the smooth rythem is very important. If you bang them around you will definitely spill your powder and not only will you have problems with the priming system but you will also have under charged cases and a potential hazard in your press. It helps to have compressed air handy, I use canned air like you use on a computer.

Just for information the Loadmaster is set up for 9mm and the Pro 1000's are used for 40 cal, 45acp, and 38 special everything else is handled by a RockChucker. For now....

That's just my opinion, I started with Lee in 1982 and I like their products. I'm not knocking others, they have very nice setups too.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Master
    Try a Dillon, the issues rarely ever happen. The 550 will load over 400 rounds per hour without bullet feeder or case feeder while going at a moderate pace.

Perma-Banned

The Lee presses require "rythem" and once you get that down you're good.
    I am glad that you like yours, truly, as I want Lee to be around for years to come. I am not a Lee hater or basher...I use several Lee tools, to good effect. I sold my Rock Chucker press because I like the Classic Cast better...so, they make several things that I like and use. But...they do not make a progressive that I will have bolted to my bench. I have had several...everyone was a never ending problem. I finally got fed up with that **** and bought a Dillon...MAN, what a breath of fresh air. I, literally, gave the last Pro 1000 away to man from Texas that was a member over on Specialty Handguns forum. So, as a result of my experience, I will never recommend them. I honestly think that money spent on any other brand progressive, is money better spent.

And, BTW, any product...matters not what it is...that you see as much negative feedback on as you do Lee progressive press's...there are problems there other than user "rhythm".
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-08-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    3Jimbo3,
    Glad you mentioned the can of compressed air. A buddy of mine has a Pro-1000 and he told me that his press runs great as long as he keeps the primer thingy free of powder. He doesn't use compressed air but said he keeps his Shop Vac by his side and removes any powder spillage with it (which I assume is similar as what you are doing with the compressed air)?

When i change shell plates or priming systems, i adjust the press.

I got a sideways primer last week, i tightened the slop on the indexing arm. ( caused by the different shell plate)

These are my Loadmaster " problems "

I just don't see why there are so many issues being claimed with the LM....
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

I am a big fan of the Lee Classic Turret press. I'm comfortable enough with it and I think that's the most important thing when it comes to reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    If one has to make an adjustment to a die or measure does that constitute an issue?
    This is what I was responding to.

ive had 0 issues with it. if there is an issue, theres a simple...

That is kind of like saying "I am never cold, if I am cold, I can put on..." For the first to be true you have to eliminate any "if" solutions, because they would never occur. If something gets out of adjustment or you have to modify parts to get the results you want, those are all "issues" regardless of how easy they are to correct.

To be fair, it doesn't matter what brand or style of press you have, if you have never had an issue you must not use it.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-14-2017 at 09:42 AM.

I swore I was going to stay out of these discussions but here I am again. Not promoting or defending any model or brand this is just my observation and experience.

When I got back into reloading this past year I was on a fixed limited income which left me to search for used equipment. I had always used a single stage press in the past but now with the internet I was able to research what is currently out there. I looked and read and watched everything I could. I was initially looking at turret presses and thought that was the way to go. Ended up with a progressive. A used Lee Pro 1000 which I found complete for a very good price. Not quite free but close.

When I got it home it was dirty from sitting and needed to be cleaned so I disassembled it and cleaned everything up and inspected all the parts in the carrier and dies. Amazingly nothing looked worn or broken. Lubed everything up and put it back together.

The first couple of times using it I struggled a little bit because I'd never used this press or any other progressive press before. By the third or fourth use I had a much better understanding and many fewer problems. I now feel comfortable and have complete confidence in using this press the way I do my reloading. I have learned that I can remove and replace any shell from any position w/o knocking it out of time or having to make any adjustments to it. It really is a very simple design and from what I see also has the fewest moving parts of the progressive presses. It may not be the fastest or sturdiest progressive press on the market but it fits my needs and fit my budget. Also so far I have not experienced any of the priming problems many have stated in other posts.

So everyone enjoy your time at the bench and happy shooting.

This is what I was responding to.

That is kind of like saying "I am never cold, if I am cold, I can put on..." For the first to be true you have to eliminate any "if" solutions, because they would never occur. If something gets out of adjustment or you have to modify parts to get the results you want, those are all "issues" regardless of how easy they are to correct.

To be fair, it doesn't matter what brand or style of press you have, if you have never had an issue you must not use it.
    I understood the first time. Just clarifying what constitutes an issue.

So if I have to adjust my pants 20 times a day because they keep falling down is that an issue with the pants or my Butt because I don't have one to hold them up?

Boolit Grand Master

Adjusting dies is part of the setup. If you constantly have to adjust your seating die to maintain the correct OAL there is an issue.

As far as pants. It's called use a belt and/or suspenders. If your pants keep falling down and you don't do anything about it I question your intelligence. It's not a very good analogy.

I understood the first time. Just clarifying what constitutes an issue.

So if I have to adjust my pants 20 times a day because they keep falling down is that an issue with the pants or my Butt because I don't have one to hold them up?
    I don't know, the issue would be your pants falling down, the problem could be caused by the product or come instead from the user. I would need to see your pants and your butt to make a determination...on second thought just go get a pair of suspenders and/or a belt.

See that's the real problem I have a belt and it still happens! Oh no.
    My wife has questioned that on a number of occasions. I think she has even called me an idiot a time or two.

See that's the real problem I have a belt and it still happens!
    OK, yeah, that's most likely a user issue.

OK, yeah, that's most likely a user issue.
    I thought so too, thanks for the confirmation!

I thought so too, thanks for the confirmation!
    No problem, thanks for not showing us your butt!

Boolit Master
    I have equipment from a good deal of most of the manufacturers of reloading equipment. I started off with a Lee Classic Cast Turret. I later added a couple of Loadmasters in the pistol calibers I shoot and leave them set up for that caliber. I did not and would not reccommend starting out on a Loadmaster. Mine are VERY productive and have little down time. I keep a few of the parts on hand that I seem to have to replace. Most take no more than 10 minutes to replace. I load somewhere on average about 500 + rounds of 9mm a month. Because that's how much I shoot.
    So... From what I gather plenty of people have purchased Lee equipment, fewer have had the patience to make them work. I have had issues with all my equipment regardless of brand. I do not own a Dillon so my comments may be a bit skewed.
    Here is a little test ... Find someone who has Lee equipment, who complains incessantly about what junk they are. Ask them to sell theirs ??? What I find interesting is the majority instantly say NO. So is this the hoarders response? Protective daddy? or do they secretly sneak out to the loading room at night when the other machines are sleeping and work the little red loader?

OK...Ok I had my fun. Point being my Lees all work (Disclaimer I do not own a Pro 1000) Yes they have an issue now and again, in most cases you just have to be smart enough to figure it out.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

I have had issues with all my equipment regardless of brand. I do not own a Dillon so my comments may be a bit skewed.
    Here is a little test ... Find someone who has Lee equipment, who complains incessantly about what junk they are. Ask them to sell theirs ???
    No, you are correct. I have at least one of all the Dillon's too and you will have issues with them too.

Your suggestion on contacting a disgruntled Lee owner is exactly how I came across the Loadmaster I had, all it cost me was shipping.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast