Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Chevy truck Advice (year 2000)

Moderator Emeritus

Need Chevy truck Advice (year 2000)

I have mentioned I'm looking at buying a different truck (in the beater thread). The one I'm thinking 'strongly' about is a 2000 chevy Silverado 2500 regular cab 2x4 (I'm not ready to post the asking price yet, but it is reasonable).

My Brother's friend, who I trust, he lives in Michigan and has inside knowledge of the car industry, anyway he told me that GM had quality issues during this era... anyone else know of this?

Here are the details of the Truck, that I know far,

I inspected this truck 3 years ago, and haven't looked closely at it since. My friend(Gary) tried to sell me this truck many times over the last 3 years, but I had recently bought the 1971,that I've talked about many times before, and didn't need a second truck. Also, I just thought this 2000 truck sat too high for my taste, almost 6" higher than my 71.

I've seen Gary driving it around town a few times. I swear he told me the engine was the smallest V8...So, at that time, I assumed it was the 4.8 ...but in our phone conversation yesterday, he said he thought it was a 350 (5.7), but they didn't offer that, that I could figure out. I questioned him, and he is sure it's a small block (he owns 7 antique/restored chevy trucks), So anyway, I'm assuming it is a 5.3 as that was offered in the Base model from what I've read...and this truck is soooo plain, it must be a Base model.

Anyway, other details about it, fairly low miles for the vintage (144k), about as rust free as a Minnesota truck can be. The Seller (gary) is a USPS carrier and he bought it from a old retired guy, that he knew well, due to him being on his postal route. Gary said the old guy used it like a car (now before you all question the story, my friend is very honest and I trust him).

I'm hoping it had regular fluid changes, that is an unknown. Gary has drove it very little since he bought it, just used it around town to haul leaves and brush to a compost site, His impression of the the old guy is that he seems like one of those guys that would be "on top" of vehicle maintenance, the truck sure looks like it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some advice, I am going to look at it seriously on new years day.
    Thanks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

They have the problem with the fuel gauge going out, that requires the pump to be changed. Emergency brake wears out fast (on rear disk brake equipped), and expensive to service. Some problems with instrument clusters.

I have a 2000 GMC Z-71. Still think it is a great truck

Boolit Master
    We have the same truck, only 4x4, and fewer miles. Normal type repairs over the years considering its been driven on gravel roads and winter road salt. Starting to rust, tho. Still going strong, doesn't use oil, and the guys at the local service and repair shop constantly bug me to sell it to them.

Wife likes the extra height. I rarely get to drive it.

In 2000 they had both body styles the CK trucks (88 -99 body style) and the Silverado's the CK would have the Vortec 350. Similar to 2007 when they had two body styles same model year. The intake gasket was probably already replaced as well as the fuel pump. I think some HD's in the later years had front bearing issues as well. (CK series) Other than that the truck is old enough the initial problems should be a mute point.
    Front suspension components may be getting loose and ready for replacement.

I always wanted a 99 or 2000 K2500 crew cab looked pretty hard for a decent one in 2005 and ended up getting an 03' Crew Cab for less than I could find decent older trucks. I lover the older body style and interior. Still have a 95' Tahoe that I bought new.

Boolit Master
    I retired from General Motors as a quality engineer after 30+ years of service. I went to work for Ford after retiring from GM and worked there for five years as a quality manager. Ford builds better quality vehicles than GM. GM has always had something going on regarding quality on every vehicle they built. I could tell you stories about things I've seen, but I won't on here. Anyway, after retiring and knowing what I know about quality (a lot), I've been driving Honda's since retiring. The only vehicles I'd even consider buying anymore are Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and KIA. That GM truck you're thinking about is at the end of its life at this point. Look for a used Toyota truck if you're just looking for a basic truck. That one's a money pit waiting to open.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, some of the early models had a few bugs being new models. With 2000 or newer they became pretty reliable. I've seen several with 200000 plus still in service. Like has been said, fluid changes are the most important item to longevity. Have worked as mechanic for 30 yrs with Gm and drive a 2001. I really like the 5.3 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    That GM truck you're thinking about is at the end of its life at this point. Look for a used Toyota truck if you're just looking for a basic truck.
    The last two Chevy trucks I had were sold with over 225,000 on them & neither had ever had anything done to them other than regular maintenance, both were running fine when we parted company. Not sure why you would think this one with 144,000 miles is on it's last legs. I did look at a nice 2003 4x4 Toyota a while back but discovered the darn frame was full of holes. Seems that 'Yota trucks have had this rusting frame issue going on for quite a while now.

OP, sounds like a decent truck to me.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Just basing my comments on experience with GM products from a lot of years working in the quality field. Happy to hear some people enjoy better luck than can be expected from a truck with high mileage. Fact is, it's not just mileage that determines how well a vehicle will last. It's age and usage to a larger degree. This truck is seventeen years old. Also used in an area where a lot of salt is used on the road. It's definitely a beater at this point in its life.

Boolit Buddy
    As a mechanic that is one of my favorite models and for the right price would buy one in a second, never in 2wd of course hehe They are simple and affordable to work on every corner garage will work on them Its older so I wouldn't expect it to be trouble free we have 5 of them at work right now with the oldest topping out at 335,000 miles of snowplowing and construction work
    I drive Fords though they all break at some point especially when the salt eats them apart

Boolit Master
    Mines not a 2000 but an 2003. 240,000 miles and still carries 50 psi oil pressure at idle when warm.
    Never rebuilt, just maintainence.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    It's a 16 year old truck . No matter how well kept its going to have some problems.
    GM has always kept us busy.
    Wheel bearings , front ends and plenty of electrical. Transfer cases at nauseam .
    Almost every truck 10yrs old in my area are rusted/rotted and replacing the main grounds and making sure all contacts are to clean bare metal does wonders. Most fuel pump failures are caused by poor grounds and high current draw.... have fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Jack up the radiator cap on that chevy and drive a Ford under it, no more problems!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I retired from General Motors as a quality engineer after 30+ years of service. I went to work for Ford after retiring from GM and worked there for five years as a quality manager. Ford builds better quality vehicles than GM. GM has always had something going on regarding quality on every vehicle they built. I could tell you stories about things I've seen, but I won't on here. Anyway, after retiring and knowing what I know about quality (a lot), I've been driving Honda's since retiring. The only vehicles I'd even consider buying anymore are Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and KIA. That GM truck you're thinking about is at the end of its life at this point. Look for a used Toyota truck if you're just looking for a basic truck. That one's a money pit waiting to open.
    I drive Chevy trucks by default, i.e. I was given a few and have bought more of same to swap stuff out as needed. The quote above, I would certainly agree with regarding cars, but nobody builds a truck like ford,chevy,dodge.

Boolit Master

I have a 2000 Silverado z71 with 300k on it, owned since new. It has been a fantastic truck. Over the years I have replaced the following one time each
    power steering pump, water pump, ac compressor, front and rear brakes, 4wd push button, drivers side power window switch, and just recently both front wheel bearings.

notice there aren't any repairs on the drive train. It is the 5.3 l v8 with a 4 speed overdrive auto. I did have to replace the shift solenoids one time which was no big deal. I have used this truck but not abused it, at least half of those miles pulling something or rough duty.

I would buy another in a heartbeat if mine broke.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    4L60E transmission always needs to be rebuilt once. Fuel pump can be a problem too.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all the comments so far. Helps a lot.

While at my friends farm today, for Christmas celebration. I got lots of advice for what to look for, when I get to look at the truck on New years day. While most of what they offered was stuff I was aware of, it's good to hear anyway. I am more anxious now, that ever, to have a close up look at this truck and crawl underneath it. When I gave it a once over (3 years ago, the truck had 134k mi on it then), I recall thinking, dang...this is a clean truck, inside the cab and under the hood, no outer body rust visible. I didn't craw underneath it, but I surely looked into the wheel wells, I don't remember seeing anything disturbing at all, which is crazy for that many miles, and all of them are supposedly Minnesota miles.

As to number of miles, if many of these trucks go til 200K, I should be golden. I put about 1500 miles (per year) on my 71 truck in the four years I had it. Although I am retired now, a truck may get more use than my car ...and surely the car will get much less miles per year, due to no more commuting ...I might even consider selling the car?

===============
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    In 2000 they had both body styles the CK trucks (88 -99 body style) and the Silverado's the CK would have the Vortec 350.

...SNIP
    Mark,
    While I typed "Silverado" in the OP...so be honest, right now I am not sure if it's a C/K or a Silverado. I haven't seen the truck recently, and don't recall what the body style looked like. I know it's a 2000, that's it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

My opinion would differ from NSB... 144K is basically One "life-cycle" and it is very easy to maintain the vehicle to 2 "life-cycles". I'm an Active GM employee and while its easy to point fingers at someones specific issue, there is ALWAYS an underlining Root-cause... It's true that truck is what we call a GMT800 and it uses the first gen 5.3L V8. fuel performance is never going to meet sticker numbers, but these can still be solid trucks!

I've had a 2000 Silverado 1500 LS 2wd Extended Cab since Xmas 2004, just traded it off 2 weeks ago. It was a good truck, but the heat/cool control blend door crapped out early. I think it was broke when I got it. That took a pro to fix, and wasn't cheap.

I replaced every part of the steering and front suspension except the lower control arm bushings, chasing an annoying bounce in the ride. Never found it.

Every light bulb in the face of the radio burned out, EVERY ONE. Same with most of the rest in the cabin. Essentially, every little "grain of wheat" bulb in the cabin fried. PITA to replace, never got around to it.

The fuel pump went Tango Uniform too. It's in the top of the fuel tank, up against the bed. Either drop the tank or raise the bed to replace it. If you don't keep plenty of gas in the tank, the pump will overheat and fail. No joy.

But I never had any engine/drivetrain problems, she just ran and ran. Had 185k on it. I do believe a set of Bilstein shocks would be a good upgrade for this truck.

I now have a 2014 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4, had 22.5k on it. Beautiful truck in excellent shape, I love it! Night and day difference between the two.

Oh, before the 2000, I drove a 1972 Chevy C10, 350/350, lwb. No frills, but a great truck nonetheless! THAT'S one I wish I could have held onto. Would have made a great restomod project.
    Last edited by rondog; 12-25-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Banned

don't listen to the predudice that comes in these posts. Both the 4.8 and the 5.3s are bullet proof motors and so were the 5.7s that came before them. You can compare quality control till the sun sets. theres good trucks and bad trucks that come from all the manufactures but you have to go a LONG way to get a better, more reliable, long lasting and fuel efficient motor then the LS based chev small block. Its hands over fist better then any v8 ford ever made with maybe the exception of the coyote.. Just look how many of them find there way into hot rod projects compared to ford v8s or dodge hemis (another good motor) By the way my best friend is still plowing his road with a rust old 1999 that has 275k on it and the motor was never touched. Its falling apart body wize and isn't safe on the road anymore but that motor still purs like a sewing machine and doesn't burn oil.

Ive owned a 1999, 2003. 2006 and now a 2015 Silverado and they were all great trucks and are still on the road today. Yup you can buy a ford with there overly complicated turbo v6s. Or a Toyota that is 5 years behind the American v8s in technology. Last to go to fuel injection last to go to multi port injection, last go to direct injection, last to put an auto tranny with more the 4 gears. At least 3 or 4mpg less fuel economy. Or buy a good American v8 like a Silverado or hemi that has a proven v8.

By the way I got a chuckle out of the recall thing. I think Toyota is the king of recalls in the last few years.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-25-2016 at 06:06 AM.

Banned

and make sure you don't put that steel radiator cap on any of those aluminum body panels or you may need some dent removal!!
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Jack up the radiator cap on that chevy and drive a Ford under it, no more problems!