Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming 264 Win Mags from 7mm Rem Mags

Forming 264 Win Mags from 7mm Rem Mags

Had an acquaintance call me the other day and ask if I would load him some 264s. I told him I don't load for other people but if he wanted, I would help and lend my knowledge and he could do it himself. Told me he had a friend that load for him, but he had moved out of the area. He has the die set, shell holder and a neck sizer. Set up a date, he showed up with dies, powder, primers and bullets. And 5 cases. Was told that was all he had and cases are next to impossible to find and if you can find factory loaded rounds, you better have deep pockets. Well I had set aside 4 hours to spend teaching him how to load for himself and he had 5 cases. Which we didn't load as I told him I would look for some cases. He's right, very hard to find and very expensive.
    So I went looking in another direction, and found out that the parent case for the 264 is a 375 H&H case.* The 7mm rem mag is also a derivative of the 375 H&H case.
    So I would like to try forming some case out of the 7mm. The specs for the two are,
    264 Win Mag 7mm Rem Mag
    Bullet diameter .264 in (6.7 mm) Bullet diameter .284 in (7.2 mm)
    Neck diameter .299 in (7.6 mm) Neck diameter .315 in (8.0 mm)
    Shoulder diameter .491 in (12.5 mm) Shoulder diameter .491 in (12.5 mm)
    Base diameter .515 in (13.1 mm) Base diameter .512 in (13.0 mm)
    Rim diameter .532 in (13.5 mm) Rim diameter .532 in (13.5 mm)
    Case length 2.5 in (64 mm) Case length 2.5 in (64 mm)
    Overall length 3.34 in (85 mm) Overall length 3.29 in (84 mm)
    As can be seen, the case length is the same, 2.5". Shoulder dia is the same, .491". Rim dia is the same, .532".
    So If I anneal the case and then run it though the 264 die and trim to length, I should be good to go?Or is the neck inside and outside dia going to be a problem
    Any and all input would be appreciated.
    To anneal a case, I was going to set them in a cake pan with water about 2/3 way to the case and use a propane torch to get them cherry red and then tip them over in the water and let them cool. Is this correct? Never done it before.
    * I was not aware of all the cartridges that have the 375 H&H case a parent case.

Thanks,
    uncle jimbo

Boolit Master
    You don't need to anneal at cherry red.
    If you can put a socket on an electric motor you can spin the cases and anneal with the inner blue cone about 1" from the case neck. Spin for 2 to 4 seconds. Dump the case into a pan of water when the neck only it turns a wet appearing aquamarine color.

Other than that the cases only need the necks reduced .020 during a FULL LENGTH SIZING process. It should be a very easy process. Make sure you do not push the shoulders back excessively.
    EDG

In Remembrance
    If I were you I wouldn't anneal first, but last. Second....If your sizing down/up 7mm mag brass I would have the rifle right there to use as a gauge. Many of the sizer dies out their just aren't made with case forming in mind.

I do know for a fact I had to remove .030 from a sizer die in order for it to work right, and that was from the bottom of the die. Others not so much, usually around .008-.012 which is common.

So don't expect that the case will be formed when the sizer die bottoms out on the shell holder. I'll bet if you had the rifle right there the bolt wont close, which means removing material from the base of the die until that newly formed case will fit and the bolt closes.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

When I try this, I will have him bring the rifle over.

thanks

Boolit Buddy
    You can anneal if you wish, but you really don't need to do anything to it except run it through the 264 sizing die and trim to length. It's just that easy.
    I bought my daughter a 264 a couple of years back, and we are still using the 7mm mag brass we sized down to use while we were looking for some 264 brass.

Boolit Master
    I think you are going to end up with short necks, but they work. I have done it. They headspace on the belt, so they will fireform.

Boolit Grand Master

With all the available 264 brass now I think I would just buy the correct head stamped brass. Midway, Grafs and Midsouth all have 2 or 3 brands in stock today. I see Hornady 264 WM brass from Midway is 1.00 higher than 7mm RM Hornady brass per 50, a buck doesn't go very far today.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

That PRIVI 264 brass looks interesting at 43.00 for 50 rounds.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Think the LGS has some loaded 264 for $25/box and I might have a package of new 264 brass

Boolit Master
    I would suggest removing the decapping rod when you reform the 7 mag. No, you don't have to but if you have any issues it sure nice for it not to be in there. Then when done reinstall and run it up and over the expander.

Boolit Master
    To correct some facts. The 7mmRem Mag 's parent case is the 458 Win Mag. Sam,e as the 338 Win Mag and the 264 Win Mag. The 375 H & H is a longer case. They can be cutdown to 458,338,7mm.264 length if you can't find 2.5oo" brass.

Not to start a argument, but this is where I got my information.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.375_H%26H_Magnum
    It states that the 375 h&h is a unique case design. I don't really know if this correct or not. I did go look at the 458 win mag and came up with this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_Winchester_Magnum
    It states that the parent case is a 375 h&h. Again I do not know if this is correct or not.

On a side note, I have not heard back from the owner of this rifle, so I don't know if this will ever happen or not.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 01-04-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: worlds worst speller

Boolit Grand Master

Jimbo you are correct H&H came out with that belted case in 1912 and all others copied it, Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Sharpe and Hart and Norma. They may have shortened it, blew it out and added funky double radius shoulders but the parent is still and always will be the 375 ouch and ouch.
    Charter Member #148

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Been down this rabbit hole , if you have 7 mag brass do a full length size and a dummy and check it . The one I had was unfired and the straight neck down of new Hornady 7mm RM brass . Through the forum I've picked up enough brass to probably burn the bbl and only have 3x brass .
    I found that a vintage 140gr Winchester Power Point over some H1000 by the 48th Lyman book at 2800 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Remington got the 7mm over on Winchester in this case.

Winchester spent quite some time developing the 6.5 round but someone found some of the cases during the development stage and Remington took advantage of it and just necked the cases up to 7mm and introduced their round.
    the 6.5 was pretty much dead in the water from minute one at that point.

One more thing to check is the walk thickness after necking down. You might have to neck ream (or turn down the outside) because the necking process might make the brass thicker in that part of the case.

Boolit Grand Master

I have read the story that riverrun posted above many times and the results are the same for the 264. Also be aware to use current data for the bullets made recently. The original 264 bullets had a stepped down diameter towards the tip. This affects the overall cartridge length which will normally be shorter.
    I had some of these 2 diameter bullets many years ago and loaded them in my 6.5-06.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Think the LGS has some loaded 264 for $25/box and I might have a package of new 264 brass
    I would buy $100 worth of that . The best price I've seen out west was $46/20 loaded and $48/50 for new Hornady brass .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Just went and looked at unopened bag of 50 Winchester brass, 31.35 in 2006. A box of Winchester factory 140 pp was 30.95 the same year, so it has always been kind of spendy.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Sgammo. Has loaded privi for $29 a box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast