RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Lyman 358432

Banned

Lyman 358432

When was this particular Lyman mould introduced?

Boolit Master
    I don't know if anybody has done a history chart for the Lyman molds, but I'd sure like to see one!

Lyman is an old company but I don't believe record keeping was ever a strong suit with any of the various management teams over the years.

As with many companies bottom line was the only interest.

Banned
    Actually I did a partial one decades ago for a Lyman handbook but I don't have a copy of that anymore.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Ken:

It first shows up (in the 160-gr. version) in Lyman's Ideal Handbook No. 29 (1929); the shorter 148-gr. version is shown sporadically from No. 38 (1951) on.

heavyMetal:

Check out the articles by Ken WaLters (pp. 148 - 153) - the one he refers to above, with a good listing of the sort you are seeking; and by Ken Waters (no "L", pp. 54 - 59) - with more detail on some specific bullets - both in the 1982 46th Edition Lyman Reloading Handbook.

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 06-21-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    Ken:

It first shows up (in the 160-gr. version) in Lyman's Ideal Handbook No. 29 (1929); the shorter 148-gr. version is shown sporadically from No. 38 (1951) on.

heavyMetal:

Check out the articles by Ken WaLters (pp. 148 - 153) - the one he refers to above, with a good listing of the sort you are seeking - (pp. 54 - 59); and by Ken Waters (no "L", pp. 54 - 59) - with more detail on some specific bullets - both in the 1982 46th Edition Lyman Reloading Handbook.

floodgate
    That's really interesting. My last Ideal Armory mould purchase, I'm really trying to not buy those anymore, was a virtually new seven cavity in this bullet casting the lighter version of this bullet. So if it was introduced in 1951 and the Armory line was probably discontinued about 1954 that pretty well means that this mould was made between 1951 and 1954.

Thanks!

In Remembrance

The one I have looks as if it is a lot older than that. I got it in a trade and have worked it over some, but it needs more. It casts decent boolits, but they are sticky and the sprue plate is bent. I plan to do some straightening and leementing, was going to this week end, but took an offer to shoot prarie dogs this morning. Then got called out to work this afternoon, and will have to work most of tomorrow. Should have been born rich instead of so good looking.?? DALE

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Ken, dale:

Addictive, ain't they? HEAVY, too! I'm trying to stop with the two .30's I have; the #308333 - 197 gr. needs some cleanup and a new alignment peg; the other (the #308245 - 87 gallery bullet) is good. Actually, as these are both the later version with the two stop-hooks on the sprueplate, I guess I'll have to look for just ONE more - caliber immaterial - in the earlier version without the hooks.

Since the 148-gr. version is really just a "short-cherried" version of the 160-grainer, it could be earlier than 1951 as a special-order item; the HB 38 listing is in the "specials" section, though it is shown as standard thereafter.

Doug
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    Ken, dale:

Addictive, ain't they?

Doug
    I'm still looking for a nine cavity Ideal Armory mould. Never even seen one. And I'd still like to get a 10 cavity SAECO. Saw one on e-bay last year but it went for WAY more than I could afford.

Boolit Master
    Floodgate:
    This is why I like to hang out on this site! I have read both the writers you mentioned and have Ken Water's Pet loads and the updates.

I will have to keep an eye out for that Lyman 46th manual, I'll check some book place's I know I'd like to have any info on Lyman mold intro's dates.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I don't know if anybody has done a history chart for the Lyman molds, but I'd sure like to see one!

Hope this helps

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm