RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Who made it?

Banned

Who made it?

I recently aquired this tool. I just "know" that I have seem some reference to it being made in the 80's or 90's - I think. It would have been something I would not have paid much attention to back then. Now I have one and I an stumped.

Looks to be stainless steel construction, it is magnetic though. It takes standard 7/8-14 dies. The physical size is the same as a 310 tool. There are no markings at all. Build quality is excellent, very well made - but by whom?

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5530.jpg   IMG_5536.jpg   IMG_5537.jpg   IMG_5533.jpg  

Wow, a 310 type tool made out of 400 series stainless steel. Color me envious. Does the hinge have a bearing? That wouldn't surprise me given the obvious quality of the tool.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master
    I noticed earlier the allen socket screw on the hinge.

Wasn't it back in the 80's when there was a split in the Lee family about build quality and other things and one of the sons set out on his own and built some really good pieces? That looks like one of them.

Boolit Master

I remember the split being mentioned in the firearms press back then, but I was not at the time interested in Lee products, so paid little attention. I did find this discussion on the web: http://gunlore.awardspace.info/gunknow/LeeTools.htm

I don't believe that either of the Lee based companies had anything to do with this nutcracker type tool - it just seems so out of their normal range.

Boolit Master

Wonder if there's a market for a tong tool using regular dies ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Wonder if there's a market for a tong tool using regular dies ?
    That is part of the reason for the post. I think someone thought so and made this tool. From its appearance, it is not a one off. Fit and finish are first rate. The hinge is tight and smooth indicating some kind of bearing.
    I just think there was some reference to it being offered 20 or more years ago. Why it did not succeed could be do to several factors not related to demand.

I need to find fired brass in calibers I have dies for so I can try it out. Resizing new brass does not work well as the case mouth won't slip over the expander button going in. That is to be expected.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    Ken,

I don't know who made it or when, but I sure would love to have one show up in my stocking tomorrow!!!

Since I tend to dedicate each of my tools to a single cartridge, the lack of leverage/inability to FL size would probably not bother me. Oh well, as a young lady, wise beyond her years, once told me, "You can't have it all, Mr Shaeff, 'cause if you did, where would you put it?"

Regards & Merry Christmas,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Mr, Frog Person Sir: You are so correct. My tools had to share space in the store room with my wife's stuff. Now that she is gone the store room is dedicated to reloading tools, but I have no one to share with. You can't have it all is really true.
    Ken