Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 130 Year Old Winchester Still Putting Meat on the Table

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! My backup this year was a 92 in 38WCF, think it will get the nod next year. Nice looking deer, rifle and rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if that's scabbard wear on the fore end given the manufacture date. These old rifles have more than a few good hunts left in them, I'm glad you got to take a nice deer with your old Winchester.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Good job sir!! I wanted to use my '89 Marlin in 38 WCF this year as well but when the opportunity arose to put some meat in the freezer I had my '86 45-90 close at hand so used it...Oh well there's always next year for the 38 WCF...or the 38-55 that hasn't earned its keep yet.

Nice! Those old guns can still do the job, for sure. By the way--has anyone noticed that the "Shortmag" craze seems to have vanished? My elderly gunsmith friend, who would praise this thread and rifles like 38-40, etc for sure, would cheer at the use of a 38-40 with an "I told you so", and probably cuss shortmag calibers for good measure. It must be really satisfying to get one with that old rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Shortmag? Most of my Winchesters have full length mags but I've been keeping an eye out for a nice Model 53.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Congrats good eating little buck
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Thanks for all the "high-fives" guys.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    My '73 Winchester (in 44/40 WCF) is not quite as old as the O/P's rifle, but it will be 120 years old this year and I have re-committed to hunting with it and SAECO #446 this coming deer season. I planned to do so this season, but life and health didn't cooperate.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    That is just awesome, just gotta love a rifle with history like that getting stuff done.

Nice rifle

Banned
    35 Whelen,

NICE rifle/rounds/buck. = Fwiw, one of the ladies in our XB club has her GF's (who was a Texas Ranger in the 1895-1920 period) .38-40 Winchester rifle & SA Colt in that same caliber.

Mrs. W routinely carries the rifle in her PU (in a "sewn-in pocket" on the rear of the seat) & frequently wears her GF's Colt in his old gunbelt/holster on her ranch near Kerrville. - She has taken all sorts of game with both firearms.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a cool story. I've hunted with my '73' a few times. Its chambered in 44-40 WCF and I shoot the RCBS copy of the original weight bullet made from wheelweights.

Back to the shortmags, it kind of a shame, but predictable. I love my 300WSM, but its about the only one hanging in there.

Thanks again guys.
    Neat story texasnative!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Banned
    35 Whelen,

Fwiw, Mrs. W told me at a political meeting out at "her place" that she was delighted when she "- - - - - - - got enough womanly shape to wear Granddaddy's Colt, without it falling to my ankles".

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Real nice texasnative46. I greatly admire ladies that have that kind of common sense and gumption.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    smokeywolf,

True fact.

IF anyone thinks that the old .38-40 isn't A KILLER??
    Mrs. W told me that day that she took a Nilgai bull antelope (the size of a saddle-horse) with the Ranger's rifle at about 60 yards. = She said that the bullet entered the "area where the neck meets the chest" & it reportedly exited out the right side of the chest at about a 20-30 degree angle. = GYD.

ADDENDA: Mrs. W also told me that upon her passing that the revolver/rifle are willed to The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-15-2017 at 02:45 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Bub
    Nice deer, nice rifle, glad to get some reports on terminal performance. I hunt with one weather cooperating, haven't tangled with a deer with mine yet though.

Boolit Buddy

35W,
    I'm 65 years old and when I was in my late 20's, my Uncle Bill related some family history to me that I'll never forget. I barely remember my paternal grandfather as I was 4 years old when he passed away. Uncle bill told me he had a Winchester Model 92 in 38-40 and whatever meat they did not raise was killed with that old 92. In the 1920's the Pennsylvania Game Commission tried their hand at stocking Elk from Yellowstone Park in NE Pa. My Uncle Bill told me that he and my Grandfather were working in the barn one day when my Grandmother came out to tell them a huge deer was in the upper pasture. My Grandfather instructed my Uncle Bill to hitch up the team of horses and when he heard my Grandfather shoot to bring the horses and the wood hauling sleigh to the upper pasture. About a half hour later, Uncle Bill heard a shot and proceeded to the upper pasture with the horses and the wood sleigh. When Uncle Bill arrived on the scene, he was astounded by the size of the deer which in fact was a huge bull Elk. They had to use the horses to drag it onto the wood sleigh. They butchered it down in the barn and my Grandmother "canned" all the meat in crocks and they had delicious meat all through that Winter. One shot with a 38-40 carbine was all it took.

358 Win

Noice!

Great story 358 Win!

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12