RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 130 Year Old Winchester Still Putting Meat on the Table

130 Year Old Winchester Still Putting Meat on the Table

It's taken awhile, but I finally got a shot with my old 38-40.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Awesome!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

That's how you do it. Great eating there. Details please- the old '73 ain't talking... Best, Thomas.
    Merry Christmas!

Banned

Very cool. I started hunting seriously with a crossbow last year and again this year as it's the only way to hunt legally during our rut, but I hate the darn thing. Seems like the whole time I'm on stand with it, I'm wishing I had an unusual, vintage rifle with me instead.

That's a nice rifle and deer. I'd like to hear some load details as well.

Congratulations. Please share the story of the rifle.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Way to go! Nice buck and a great rifle. I've found I enjoy deer hunting a lot more when I use a vintage rifle.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Very cool. Great deer, rifle and great looking ammo.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I love filling the freezer with a piece of history. I did a couple years ago with a 109 year old 25 35.

Thanks everyone.

The rifle was made in 1886 and has REALLY been used. In fact if you look closely at the bottom rear of the forearm where it meets the receiver, you can see the forearm is very worn from being carried, the magazine tube is a little dented and bent, the dust cover flops around, etc. The bore was beyond hopeless so I had John Taylor line it. The bullet is cast of ACWW from an RCBS 40-180 mould and weighs 192 gr. Loaded over 1.9 cc of Swiss 3Fg it runs right at 1300 fps and is surprisingly accurate to at least 200 yds.

The buck was about 45 yds. out when I shot him. The bullet enter low behind the left shoulder, broke a rib, through the left lung, perfectly centered the heart, creased the right lung then exited the off side. He hauled *** off in the mesquite and broomweed, so I sat in my little brush blind for 20 minutes before going out after him. He'd gone 50 or 60 yds. and keeled over.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Congratulations are in order!!

Boolit Master
    Really great 35W. Do I see a tang sight on her. Your ammo; as I think I see no crimp and lube resembles SPG or a variant, are you using black powder?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Really great 35W. Do I see a tang sight on her. Your ammo; as I think I see no crimp and lube resembles SPG or a variant, are you using black powder?
    That is an aftermarket tang sight that came with the rifle. I have it set for 200 yds. and it's only used for banging the 200 yd. gong.

For hunting, I am using black powder, about 1.9 cc of 3Fg. The lube from our very own Randy Rat. It's his TAC1. It's marketed as a smokeless lube but has worked fine as a BP lube so long as I don't fire over 10 or so shots without cleaning.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    That's even better. 38-40 BP cartridges in a 130 year old Winchester. As I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Winchester man, I've got a pretty good case of the warm fuzzies from this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Banned
    way to go!!!!

of course, that buck forgot to wear its body armor.
    we all KNOW that you couldn't take it because you where using black powder and a lead(gasp!!!) boolit!

I have another rifle that's identical only it's all original and was made in 1888. The bore is a teeny bit rough but the rifle is just about as accurate as the one pictured here.

35W

NRA Life Member

Well done 35W. Very well done. Black powder is not my thing, but for some reason 38-40 and BP has interested me. Perhaps one day.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a model '73 SRC in 38-40 that's a parts gun and about 90% finished. Looking forward to shootin' BP cartridges in that.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Great job!tThat deer is a real trophy.

That's awesome!! Good job.
    Enjoy your venison.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Congratulations .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast