Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Liquid Lube is the Best Lube Ever!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    NO, not even close to the same ratios.

Read all of this :

http://www.artfulbullet.com/index.ph...orig-bll.1442/

Ben

Cool I just signed up on you page , Thanks again
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Many on the shooting forums have been a big help to me, in past years.

I'm glad that I could offer a small contribution, in return.

I'm also happy that you're
    enjoying the lube (s) ! !

Thanks again,
    Ben
    Ben,

Just so you know....Ben's Red and BLL lubes were NOT small contributions, but rather MAJOR contributions in my book.
    I don't ever worry about where my first shot from a cold bbl. is going to hit when i'm hunting or target shooting anymore. It hits wherever the sights are.

How do you put a value on something that totally changes how you lube and how successful that lubing is?

I have said it before and I will say it again. Ben you could have sold BLL in quart bottles for fairly good money. Or you could have charged X number of dollars for the Recipe.

No, you tested it hard for a year and then gave it away.

Good on you sir.

Once I found BLL and found how good it works across all platforms/speeds no other system was even in the running.

Ben for Sainthood!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    When you say mineral spirits are you talking about actual mineral spirits or the odorless mineral spirits that are much more common?
    Still hoping for an answer to this question.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master
    Odorless will work fine.

Boolit Master

Thanks Ben.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Master

I mixed up a batch of the new formula and coated some boolits. After three days they are still just a little bit tacky. Is this to be expected?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I mixed up a batch of the new formula and coated some boolits. After three days they are still just a little bit tacky. Is this to be expected?
    It happens sometimes... kinda odd, sometimes it dries perfectly, sometimes it stays a bit tacky. When it's still tacky after a few days, a light dusting of mica (just tumble the mica like you do the BLL) removes all traces of the sticky.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Boolit Master

I added a bit more floor wax to the mix and it's not nearly as sticky as it was.
    Semper Fi!

TCD - I shot near pure alloy with BLL & it worked perfectly, 40SW ~ 1k fps, PB. Worked good in BO with harder alloy, 30/30 next to try (again). Really THIN coats. I use a short length of weed whacker string as a dipper, 4-5 DROPS for 14 185gr 30 cal and dry in 1/2 day, even cool and damp this week. IIRC I used 15 drops/coat for 50 165gr 40sw - they did fine. I like hitek but this sure is easier.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    TCD - I shot near pure alloy with BLL & it worked perfectly, 40SW ~ 1k fps, PB. Worked good in BO with harder alloy, 30/30 next to try (again). Really THIN coats. I use a short length of weed whacker string as a dipper, 4-5 DROPS for 14 185gr 30 cal and dry in 1/2 day, even cool and damp this week. IIRC I used 15 drops/coat for 50 165gr 40sw - they did fine. I like hitek but this sure is easier.
    Very cool, Popper.

Think I might try going with a softer (less expensive) alloy in 9mm now that I have a larger expander die and give it a try.

It's just amazing how well BLL works.

Lyman #2, BLL, and a .356 expander die work just perfectly in 9mm. Hoping that the larger expander die will enable me to get by with a softer alloy without the boolit getting swaged by the brass.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Oh, don't forget to shake well before using. I keep mine in a short transparent bottle, I see settling in the bottom.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I placed a dozen 5/16ths inch steel ball bearings in the bottom of my condiment bottle to ease mixing....kinda like the ball in a can of spray paint. Works well and shortens the shaking time considerably

I am going to try this. Are you guys buying the little 4 oz bottles from Lee? I thought there was a member/vendor on this site that sold the equivalent liquid alox product? I went through the vendor section and don't see anyone selling it. Can someone point me to a good source for liquid alox?

Edit to add - found the link to White Label lubes. Anyone use that product in Bens formula?

Banned

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vly View Post
    I am going to try this. Are you guys buying the little 4 oz bottles from Lee? I thought there was a member/vendor on this site that sold the equivalent liquid alox product? I went through the vendor section and don't see anyone selling it. Can someone point me to a good source for liquid alox?

Edit to add - found the link to White Label lubes. Anyone use that product in Bens formula?
    Yup...thats the stuff, buy yourself the 32 oz size and you're set for a while

I have yet to buy alox. I had someone send me a couple of bottles as a pay it forward. And I have invested in a fair number of the Lee size kits.

Yes LsStuff will get my business when that day comes. Good outfit, top notch.

I think I still have 3 or 4 of those little bottles to go yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vly View Post
    It's thicker and needs to be thinned w/ mineral spirits. I believe Lars has this noted on the web page.

Boolit Buddy

I have had the same problem with the new wax not drying like it should , but in all fairness to Ben , I have made a comment or 2 about it not working like it should , but then I have never tried the original wax either, I will keep plugging along , Im sure I have done something wrong , the weather has been crazy here , it 90 deg one day freezing the next , yesterday was Icy, and I fell at work on the Ice and injered my bad rotor cuff or cup what ever they call it and now I wont be trying anything for a week or so , I also received my HiTek in the mail today too, ....was hoping that I would be thru with my construction on my casting room this week and that wont happen either , Just the luck HUH, now If any of you caster out there are going to send their condolences dont, just send and envelope with a hundred dollar bill in it ,PM me for address LMAO Bawhahahahaha
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Well, as usual I am a bit late to this. Back casting again after a 20 year layoff. Used to pan lube and LLA when it first came out. I will add my thanks to Ben for all the experimenting. Having been through stuff like that in my engineering work it is a huge amount of time and effort that he is to be commended for.

I was also looking for an easy to find alternative to the Johnsons and the Lundmark so I just went to the MSDS for the Lundmark. Hmmm, Petroleum distillates, Carnauba wax, Paraffin wax, and Montanic Acid wax (used in the food industry as well as in car polishes). Seems the Montanic Acid wax is a key ingredient since it is known for providing a hard shell type finish. Regular Johnson's paste wax is Stoddard solvent, petroleum and hydrocarbon waxes (paraffin and carnauba?). I could not find an MSDS for the Johnson's Liquid version.

FWIW, the issue of cooking off the solvent in Johnson's paste wax seems to be a mute point if you are going to add mineral spirits to thin it anyway, since what you are cooking off is the stoddard solvent.

Sounds like the common items are the waxes and solvent in different proportions.

Now off to get some of the Lundmark.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast