Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ben's Liquid Lube is the Best Lube Ever!

Boolit Grand Master

Ben's Liquid Lube is the Best Lube Ever!

They haven’t been called MSDS sheets for a few years now. They were standardized to SDS as part of the global harmonized system. Can you tell I sat through over 50 hours of OSHA training

Here is the SDS for the one step: http://jcsd.or.safeschoolssds.com/do...f-ac72e132a10c
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-21-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    LOL yep. I've been out of the business for a few years

So the Johnson's may just be standard paste wax mixed with naptha. Interesting. I may have to try that.

Boolit Mold
    Hello, new member here. While I am not a caster, I am looking for a tumble lube to coat my commercially bought swaged lead bullets. I have been reading this thread and want to be sure I have the latest recipe correct. I have read all of Ben’s post on The Art & Science of Bullet Casting, and the Sep 21, 2016 post shows the recipe to be
    30% Lundmark Liquid Paste Wax (which is still being made at this time)
    30% White Label Xlox*
    40% solvent (in the form of Mineral Spirits)

Thanks to Ben and others for making this shooters life a little easier.

* I was communicating with Glenn of White Label and “Liquid Xlox is Alox 606-55 with a little bit of mineral spirits mixed in to approximate the consistency of Lee's Liquid Alox”. Which is good news for me since I have several bottles of LLA that I can now use to make Ben’s Liquid Lube Gen 2.
    Last edited by BEshooter; 04-04-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: fuller name for the Lundmark product

Moderator Emeritus

BEshooter,
    Welcome to the forum

First, not to be anal, I believe the correct name for this version of Lube is "Alternate BLL". Names matter, especially in the text world of webforums, mostly to avoid confusion.

Ben posted the recipe in this thread (post #12)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3887080

While I haven't used Lundmark, I have made a few TL recipes using Lee's Alox. If your bottles of Lee Alox are a couple years old...FYI, it dries out, even in a sealed bottle, and you may need to use a higher percentage of MS to get the correct consistency.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks johnb

Ben

With about ten or so bottles of the original floor wax stashed in the man cave .
    Have come to regard myself as a bit "eccentric" since Ben's is all I have used to great satisfaction.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

I have not found BLL to work with HV rifle PB. PC does the job there. Works fine with GC. Not a lube problem just gas cutting.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    BEshooter,
    Welcome to the forum

First, not to be anal, I believe the correct name for this version of Lube is "Alternate BLL". Names matter, especially in the text world of webforums, mostly to avoid confusion.

Ben posted the recipe in this thread (post #12)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3887080

While I haven't used Lundmark, I have made a few TL recipes using Lee's Alox. If your bottles of Lee Alox are a couple years old...FYI, it dries out, even in a sealed bottle, and you may need to use a higher percentage of MS to get the correct consistency.
    Thanks for the information JonB. Off to the shop to make some up.

Boolit Bub
    Question, I haven't started casting yet. Is white label Alox the same as Lee's Liquid Alox? Want to mix up a batch of lube with Ben's formula with the Lundmark Liquid Paste Wax that I just purchased.

Moderator Emeritus

Riceguy,
    Welcome to the forum.

WLL's X-Lox is interchangeable with Lee's Alox.
    But, to get the correct consistency, you may need to adjust the amount of MS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Bub
    Thank You for the info. Any Idea as to plus or minus for the MS. Ben's calls for 40%?

Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    Thank You for the info. Any Idea as to plus or minus for the MS. Ben's calls for 40%?
    Ben has also always said BLL should flow like coke from a bottle in consistency as a guide line.
    If you have fresh liquid Alox, the original mixture will work perfectly.
    If the alox is older or dryish...add more ms as has been suggested to get that coke from a bottle consistency.

Lol, that may not be an exact scientific explanation or formula, but will work just fine. Use the formula to mix the lube and simply add ms if you have to to get the consistency of pouring coke from a bottle and you’ll be good to go.
    If the lube sits up for long periods of time and the container you use allows air to seep in or ms to seep out, you may have to add more ms from time to time to keep that consistency!
    I also keep a cast boolit in the bottle to help when shaking the bottle before lube application on the boolits each time.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Riceguy View Post
    It will be just a percent or two. You will know it, when you mix it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234