WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Gas checks and suppressors

Boolit Man

Question Gas checks and suppressors

I have a suppressed Ruger #3 45/70.

Fun to shoot, sounds like a really light 38 Special target load. What worries me is the thought of a gas check coming loose just as the boolit base clears the muzzle, which is still about 8" short of the end of the suppressor. A bunch of aluminum baffles are just off of the flightpath of the boolit and even a subsonic gas check hitting them would not be beneficial.

I have been shooting Lyman 457125 in it, but I am about out of them. I have a 457406 mold and Hornady gas checks, but don't want to damage the suppressor.

Or should I just shaddup and buy a new mold like the 457132?
    $60.20 at Midway. Anybody cheaper?

457132 at Midway

Cast Boolits Owner

Randy,

The question: Will the gascheck come off in the barrel? It might or might not. If it does not there is no problem BUT if it does you are out of a suppressor or at least a major part of it. A mould is cheaper than a new suppressor and the tax stamp that goes with it. Seems like a pretty straight forward choice. Heck, I thought the job of a bullet caster beside casting bullets is looking for a reason to buy another mould.

I would love to see pics of the rifle setup.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I shoot a lot of suppressed rounds...a gascheck is a no no. Also...if the suppressor can't be taken apart for cleaning they can become clogged with lube and lead that won't soak out.

Why would you ever want to use gas checks on a sub-sonic load? I try to avoid gas checks unless they are actually needed. I'd just get a new mould if I were you. Besides, with the price of gas checks, the new mould will save you money in the long run.

I can report from first hand knowledge that if you use Hornady crimp on GC's a suppressor is fine.
    I shoot 311316's in my suppressed .32-20 Martini all the time and NEVER have any problems. Same goes for the 311466's and CBE bullets I shoot in it.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Last edited by waksupi; 06-22-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Boolit Bub
    What if you pressed the gas check on and then powder coated everything

Boolit Master
    I’ve put a whole bunch (thousands) of gas checked subsonic bullets through my silencer with no problems. Ironically I did have a bad baffle strike with a plain based bullet. It was one of those long, skinny Blackout bullets and I think it had an internal defect that caused it to destabilize inside the can.

I was lucky to be able to bend the baffles back into shape. When I bought my silencer I searched around for one that was user servicable because I wanted to be able to clean it. One of the reasons I tend to shoot checked bullets is that they produce a lot less leading inside the can. I’m hoping my new experiment with Hi-Tek coating will help with that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I'd powder coat and shoot without a gas check if it were me. My cans took to long to get and cost to much money to let a little piece of metal that is useless on a sub sonic round ruin it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

Attack of the 10+ year old Zombie thread