RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Unique in the .500 S&W

Banned

Unique in the .500 S&W

Friend has one and wants to shoot 325 gr boolits with lighter recoil. I can't find Unique loads. Someone told him 20 gr. Even Alliant does not show.

Vendor Sponsor

He might be creating a grenade trying to load that behemoth case with Unique. That is MUCH too much lead for a powder as fast as Unique. Plus the larger capacity gives the flame front more powder to ignite even faster than a 44 or 45 would light it off? Scary. Really.

Powder makers and reloading manuals don't list loads that are unsafe and say DO NOT use this, it's pretty much written in stone that if you don't see a certain powder listed with a given boolit style or weight, it is because it is not recommended. That is why you won't find any Unique data for his 500, and you won't find any Unique data for the 300 RF in 45 Colt or the 310 RF in 44 magnum.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I shoot the 440 grain Lee with 10 Grains of Unique, bit over 1000 fps in a rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I shoot the 440 grain Lee with 10 Grains of Unique, bit over 1000 fps in a rifle.
    May I ask where this data came from?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I've seen it referenced in a number of places on this very forum also on the CBA forum. Here's a brief reference in this link http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...in-500-S-amp-W And yes it's a pretty mild load. Here's another, http://reloadammo.com/500sw.htmcheck The amplification notes at the bottom of the page. This was my original source.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 12-22-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I shoot the same 10.0g Unique with the NOE 420SWCHP, at just about 1000fps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    May I ask where this data came from?
    People who sell components sell them based on "how hard and fast can you push a bullet", that's why the J-word manuals only list the slow powders, they are advertising that velocity, speed sells powder.
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has loads for Unique.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Just noticed you're shooting a rifle, mine is a revolver.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Yes, a Handi with a 1.5-4 Leupold. And what 10-12 grains of Unique and that Lee does to a deer
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

I hesitate to post this, after DougGuy's warning. So I dug out my notes, so I could include my source.

I worked up a Load for a ballista-cast 385gr RF plain base with Unique (using Win large Rifle primers).
    I started at 12gr, and went up...I settled with 17gr.
    That's where I started seeing flattened primers in my 4" revolver.

Lyman castbullet handbook 4th Ed. lists the Lyman 501680 (375gr) plain base,
    Max Load: 17.5gr Unique, 1361fps, 37.8Kpsi
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

the trick is in how unique burns.
    you generally don't burn all of it even in a rifle barrel.
    the more case capacity you have the more flat lined unique becomes.
    one of my powder dumps is set at 8.5grs and another is set to 9.3 they never change except to go on a different tool head.
    from the 41 mag up to the 45-70 either load will work just fine, and is outstanding in several cartridges. [the 9.3 especially in the larger volume cases]
    I wouldn't hesitate to start at 10 grs in the 500 and move forward.

Banned

Thanks Doug, sent him what you said. i don't like the powder at all and a .500 S&W is to be shot like it.

Boolit Master

The lyman cast manual shows 12-17.5gr Unique under the Lee 440. I've shot that boolit over 10gr of Unique, very pleasant to shoot in my 15" Encore pistol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Friend has one and wants to shoot 325 gr boolits with lighter recoil. I can't find Unique loads. Someone told him 20 gr. Even Alliant does not show.
    The Lyman 4th edition Cast Bullet Handbook has several published loads for Unique in the 500 S&W, using 375gr, 400gr, and 440gr bullets. A friend has a big .500 and wanted me to help him load some lighter loads some day that don't bark so much. I was planning on using the Lee 440 and Unique.

That is MUCH too much lead for a powder as fast as Unique. Plus the larger capacity gives the flame front more powder to ignite even faster than a 44 or 45 would light it off?
    I used to use Unique in 12 gauge. I know shotshells are a whole different ballgame, but it's a lot bigger, more area, more powder, more lead, and still safe. Not trying to be contrary, just curious about the limits of really fast powders in really big cases.
    Last edited by fatelk; 12-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Banned

Lyman 49th has 14 Unique loads as noted, and John Taffin made up this complicated data list

.500 Smith & Wesson Magnum / .500 S&W Magnum (John Taffin Tests)
    Warning! Notes: Tested in 8 3/8" S&W M500, 10 1/2" BFR and 12" Encore.
    Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
    Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    370 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 859
    Remarks: 8 3/8" S&W M500
    370 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 927
    Remarks: 10 1/2" BFR
    370 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 913
    Remarks: 12" Encore
    440 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 882
    Remarks: 8 3/8" S&W M500
    440 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 925
    Remarks: 10 1/2" BFR
    440 Cast Performance Bullet Co. GC Alliant Unique 10.0 862
    Remarks: 12" Encore

Boolit Master

I got a Katahdin barrel for my Encore frame in 500 S&W. I cast and already had the big 700 gr. mould but also wanted some lighter bullets so I picked up the Lee 440 mould. I worked up full power type loads with the 440 bullet but also wanted a lighter plinking load. I did 10/12/14 grs of Unique and settled on the 14 grs. with the Lee bullet seated to the top crimp groove to differentiate them from the full power loads seated in the lower groove. I PC my bullets and put a gas check on the 440 bullet and the 14 grs of UNQ is a great load that pushes the bullet out of the 20" barrel at 1,130 fps.

Here is the rifle with a 2x7 scope on it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore Katahdin 500 S&W.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	234029

In this pic L to R:

Lee 440 bullet plinking load

Lee 440 bullet full power load

NOE 570 gr. Big mouth HP (HP version of the 700 gr. )

NOE 700 gr. bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500 S&W loads web.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	234030

http://www.mastercast.net/ftp.master...0Gr_RN_FP.html

Use this bullet with 12.0 grs. Unique for 1075 fps. out of my S&W .500 8 3/8" revolver. Easy recoil and great accuracy. Starline brass and Winchester LR primers.