WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sears Model 54 30-30

Boolit Master

Sears Model 54 30-30

Picked up a Sears model 54 30-30 lever action. Understand it's made by Winchester, but I'm curious as to the differences, mechanically that is. I'm not that versed in Winchesters and have nothing to compare with.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Don't know the difference but count yourself lucky. Christmas came early./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Winchester made several weapons for Sears & Roebuck back in the day.

I think that they were often sold under the "Ted Williams" name, but I won't swear to that. Montgomery Wards also sold Marlins and what not under the "Western Field" name as I recall. My first .22 rifle came from Sears and it was actually a Marlin.

There were usually some cosmetic differences between the brand names and the Sears/Monkey Wards offerings.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a Sears labelled Winchester for a short while a few years ago, I don't remember if was a Model 54 or not.

It was a Post-64 Model 94 with the main visible differences being the it had a clunky rifle style fore end cap instead of a barrel band, and the sights looked like they came from a cheap .22 instead of a centerfire rifle.

It shot well enough for one of my friends' son to kill several deer over the years.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a Sears model 54 30-30 that a friend picked up well used in the mid 80s for hunting , then decided to sell it to the gun shop after hunting season , but when he was offered 50. Decided he would rather sell it to me if I wanted it for the 50. So 30 years later it still sitting in the gun cabinet . It will keep a 4 in 150 yard group with scope , or a red brick 100 with open sights . But that top ejection well you ether love or hate it .

Here's a Sears 54, also don't forget the Sears Ted Williams 100, both basically Win 94s little differences. Always thought they would make a nice liteweight shorty, with Ramline stocks and end caps. Of course it would take some finagleing!! I think the 54 was first, but don't think they were Pre 64s, not sure though, then came the Ted Williams 100s. The straight stocks, and liter weight to start with, than the Marlins, along with the slimmer lines attracted me, and did I mention no rear barrel bands!!! Than shorten the mag tube, and use the Marlin style dovetailed tube hanger, would than also get rid of the front barrel band. Obviously I'm not concerned with looks, or tradition, in this regard, but I already have enough 30-30s, and currently fiddling with the 35.

Sears 54

Ted Williams 100

Last edited by Skooterr; 12-22-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Searchester. What i found out they were made for Sears from 1965 to around 1970. They came with cheaper wood stocks and a different butt plate. But from Sears you could order a walnut stock. That what mine has a nice figure grain walnut stock. That why i bought it. They are under value because they say Sears instead of Winchester. I bought mine for cheap because of the Sears name. I would buy more for cheap if i could find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I had a Sears labelled Winchester for a short while a few years ago, I don't remember if was a Model 54 or not.

It was a Post-64 Model 94 with the main visible differences being the it had a clunky rifle style fore end cap instead of a barrel band, and the sights looked like they came from a cheap .22 instead of a centerfire rifle.

It shot well enough for one of my friends' son to kill several deer over the years.

Robert
    If I remember right, these had a magazine tube that was about a half inch or so shorter than the Winchester 94 model being made at the time. AsI was working at Winchester when these were in production, and I used to walk through a portion of the factory where row afer row of 94s were in racks, probably after final assembly, waiting another operation (most likely packaging) You could tell the Sears guns by the slightly shorter magazine tubes. This would have been around 1969 or1970.

I have a Sears model 45 which is basically a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

Boolit Master
    The only difference between a post 64 win 94 and a sears 54 is the sears had a painted sheet metal nose cap instead of a barrel band and they had birch stocks. funny thing is if I remember right they sold for the same price. I remember seeing them in sears as a kid in the late 70's.

Boolit Master
    A hunting buddy of mine had a Ted Williams 100 that he kept on his three wheeler, and then later on kept on his four wheeler. It was a loaner rifle at deer camp, and sometimes used to finish of a deer after he run out of shells in his shotgun! I shot it a few times many moons ago, and it was pretty rusty, but did shoot well enough to make meat.

It wasn't that long ago these were all over N Texas for a hundred dollar bill. Heck I'd give $200 for one now. Never did like that forend treatment though. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Stripped mine down and it looks good inside. There was some build-up under the forearm. It has a stamped metal cartridge lifter and spring pins instead of solid pins, but function smoothly. The stock appears to be walnut, definately not birch.

The receiver is the worst looking, with most of the bluing being splotchy looking or worn off. Typical of this generation of Winchester receivers. Not sure what I'm going to do to it. I may strip it (receiver only) and try some of my Brownells Oxpho-blue on it. I've read some stories about how these receivers take hot bluing, but not much on cold blue. We'll see soon.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

The receivers were made out of a sintered metal and tend to look purplish when blued. Some just strip and clear coat to look like stainless steel. I had one duracoated to look like a normal blue. There is also an outfit that has oxide type finish that works on this mystery metal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    The receivers were made out of a sintered metal and tend to look purplish when blued. Some just strip and clear coat to look like stainless steel. I had one duracoated to look like a normal blue. There is also an outfit that has oxide type finish that works on this mystery metal.
    Its not sintered metal, its Ductile Iron, and yes standard hot caustic bluing makes them look purple. From the factory they were flash steel plated and that was blued. To get a good blue you can find someone that does Oxynate #84 blueing for stainless, a reverse electrolysis plated finish, " do a search on this forum, looks good". or duracoat.

there was a model of post 64 94 called the Antique Carbine that came with a color case hardened receiver. I have one and it looks really good, so that is an option also, albeit an expensive one.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    I already own a sears 45 which is a marlin 336 in 35 rem like another member mentioned . I was looking at 1 of these sears 54's a week or 2 ago at a local shop in rough cosmetic condition . I have no idea how the internals are or how it shoots . I just know the stock and fore arm don't match the bluing on receiver is rough (and I know they don't take bluing well from past experience ) . I was thinking of buying it for a project gun . I know the shop has had it for a very long time he just wants too much money for it imho . he has 250 $ on it this sho isn't known for wheeling and dealing so idk if he would come down any or not . he probably only gave the guy who sold it a 50$ bill for it .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sandman228 View Post
    I already own a sears 45 which is a marlin 336 in 35 rem like another member mentioned . I was looking at 1 of these sears 54's a week or 2 ago at a local shop in rough cosmetic condition . I have no idea how the internals are or how it shoots . I just know the stock and fore arm don't match the bluing on receiver is rough (and I know they don't take bluing well from past experience ) . I was thinking of buying it for a project gun . I know the shop has had it for a very long time he just wants too much money for it imho . he has 250 $ on it this sho isn't known for wheeling and dealing so idk if he would come down any or not . he probably only gave the guy who sold it a 50$ bill for it .
    I paid $225 for mine and feel good about it.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    i stopped on my way to work yesterday and looked at it again . the bore looks good and the internals look to have little to no wear . I don't think it was fired much its just beat up and looks like hell . the barrel bluing is decent ,but receiver is rough and wood mismatched . he said he would come down to 225 on it . I guess if I refinished the wood ,replaced the butt plate and did something with the receiver it would be a decent rifle .

Boolit Master
    I have a Ted Williams Model 100. Had problems feeding from magazine. GS fixed it with Winchester parts. They are basically Winchesters. Buy it and enjoy it , it will kill Bambis.