Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Brining small hams

Brining small hams

Would like to try brining and smoking some ham, just have a large side heat smoker and was wondering about different methods/add-ons you do?
    Also, I've always cut the meat of the front shoulder and used in deer sausage. What/how do you use the shoulders?
    We are being over-run with them this year, so after deer season we are going to set up traps.

ETA, forgot to mention that these are in the up to 200#, most are 100-150# range on the hoof
    Last edited by borg; 12-21-2016 at 06:05 PM.

About the easiest method which I would suggest is to inject the "green ham" (which is the hind quarter before it is cured) with Morton tender quick which you can find at most grocery stores after injecting it you have to let it sit in the fridge until it cures, tenderquick doesnt take to long especially when you inject it, just follow the directions on the package, dont mix it stronger than recipe. Then inject it into the meat, I dont think it is possible to get to much in it as long as you dont mix the brine to strong, also if you dont want to inject you will have to let it sit covered in the brine for a long time probably at least a week so that is why I would suggest the injection method, try to get some in the whole thing, If you miss some after you smoke it you will find brown spots not pink but generally if you inject it properly and then let it set for a day or so you will have good coverage, after you have it cured then smoke slowly so it drys up some until it reaches at least 145 150 in that neighborhood, then you can either eat it or freeze it for later use, for the shoulder question just debone it off the shoulder and grind it and mix to whatever ratio to deer you want, I would say around 1 third pork give or take to your preference, do not throw away the fat, you will want all of that with the deer as they are so lean at least that is what I do with domestic pigs but I am pretty sure that the feral pigs you would want all the fat too especially since these arent that big so they probably dont have much fat in them anyway

In Remembrance

If curing a ham with bone in, you risk spoilage next to the bone unless you inject curing brine next to the bone.

Boolit Master

Backwoods brand ham kit for no brainer, no fail venison ham.
    You can choose brown sugar or sweeter than sweet style.
    Works/tastes great.
    I use an electric smoker after the 5 days of brining.
    Nummy!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

like was said get the bone out first. Ive used commercial ham making spice kits and they came out fine. All my shoulders go to sausage and burger making.

LOL, I have about 80# venison of sausage now, so trying to figure out something for the front shoulder. I do plan on injecting the ham,, in fact, I'm making up the brine now.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Moderator Emeritus

Slow smoke it then shred it! Bard it with bacon strips using a barding needle(called larding needle in butchered translation English)

https://www.amazon.com/SCI-Scandicra.../dp/B001VJDVDM

Boolit Master
    If you cure a ham everyone will start calling you Doc.