Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock17. Opening up the trigger guard for biggggg fingers.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Thanks, the Exacto knife sounds like a good place to start.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    The sanding boards used to trim fingernails are very handy for smoothing out cuts in plastics.
    I use a type that has four different grades of sanding and polishing paper mounted on tapered plastic boards. These are very handy for removing deep scratches from plastic pistol grips and polishing to match.
    I even used these to radius and dress the edges of my dentures for a more comfortable fit.

I once made my own dremel type tool from a small electric motor and dc adapter using the wheel from a disposable cigarette lighter with a piece cut from a ink pen refill to shim the center hole of the wheel to fit the shaft of the motor.
    I was amazed to find the wheel from these cheap lighters is hard enough to cut sheet steel.

Boolit Grand Master
    You're not alone, Four Fingers. I managed to remove the end of my trigger finger with a radial arm saw the day before re-quals. A good flight surgeon worked her magic and even though it was "the proverbial pain", I did manage to re-qual with expert for our required 3 weapon system. It's good to be young and dumb sometimes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The sanding boards used to trim fingernails are very handy for smoothing out cuts in plastics.
    I use a type that has four different grades of sanding and polishing paper mounted on tapered plastic boards. These are very handy for removing deep scratches from plastic pistol grips and polishing to match...........

I stole........er...I mean borrowed , my girlfriend's emery board and found that it is an excellent tool to remove those parting lines inside the trigger guard.

Boolit Master

Since it is not uncommon to see injuries like the OP's with woodworkers and power tools, perhaps we shouldn't be suggesting that he use a Dremel type tool?

How about a strip of emory cloth put into the trigger guard and then sliding it back and forth while holding the ends? Kind of like buffing your shoes when you polish them...

I took it to the range today with my Exacto style knife and cleaned up the parting line. It was pretty neat and almost not there anyway.

Apart from my finger rubbing on the trigger guard, I worked out the the blade on the trigger is very proud and could do with some trimming, but the main problem is the flesh of my finger is getting trapped / pinched between the trigger guard and the tip of the trigger. Back to the drawing board, haha.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Mick: less finger on the trigger will help with that. The very end of your finger doesn't need to be much past the safety. That way there won't be any meat getting under the tip of the trigger and getting sucked in. Realistically not more than the last 3/8" should be on the trigger.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Its plastic! heat it up and stretch it out!

Sort of like this Nambu pistol that the Japanese Army modified for their troops to be able to use in Manchuria in the winters!!!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

That would fix it, but life's too short to shoot ugly guns!

Went to the range today and pulled out my tiny Swiss Army knife that rides in my fob pocket. The blade has a nail file on one side of it and I attacked the trigger guard inner with that. I noticed that the main damage was from the safety blade on the trigger which was protruding too much, so I gave that a bit of treatment and followed up with emery paper when I got home, which improved things greatly. The situation has improved, not there yet, but well on the way. My fingers are a tad disobedient and as such I am reluctant to use the dremel.

Under part of trigger finger after 10 shots, it looks like (and feels like) the finger tip is rolling under the trigger, but there isn't enough room for it:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    That would fix it, but life's too short to shoot ugly guns!
    Agreed, but you *are* talking about a *Glock* here. You're *starting out* butt-ugly, you can't really get much worse.

Mick: there will be a callous build up on the wear points of that finger after firing it a few hundred times.

But that groove in your finger from the safety is exactly what I was talking about in my post about Deburring the guns.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Sorry W.R.B, I missed your reply somehow.

I removed the join line and a little of the meat, better, but still rubbing, trimmed the trigger blade until it was flush (boy, that made a difference). I gave a new shooter a few mags full and he fell in love with it, so I sold it for what I paid for it, thinking I'd just go back to shooting my 1911s, butttttttttttttttttttt, I sorta miss it and am thinking about buying a new one. The Gen3s are pretty cheap here (relatively speaking, haha). The new owner has small hands, he could fit two fingers in there, haha.

Or just start with a CZ, and carry cocked, and locked, or just carry cocked. New CZ's have a FP block, and just like a Glock cannot go boom unless the trigger is pulled.

My wife has a Witness which she carries condition 1, but it is perfectly safe to carry condition 0. Cost less than a Glock, in fact selling her Glock bought the Witness with money left over. Since a CZ has a trigger guard designed for DA/SA there is plenty of room for fat fingers. She carries condition 1 because her fingers are so short.

Boolit Master

I looked at your pic and thought, man that's a huge finger! But then I had another thought, and picked up my G37 and looked at my finger in the trigger guard. Oh.

I've long since been lightly sanding the trigger and the safety bar in the trigger and under-cutting the trigger guard. Just recently I started cutting the top of the first finger groove, sort of "moving' the bump lower. That really helps me out.

That's a lot of money for a Dremel. Amazon will sell me a variable for $39. I wonder what it would cost to ship Down Under?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12