RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gunblast Review GP100 44 Special

Boolit Buddy
    This is great news, I`ll have to move out of California to get one...maybe next year.

Horace

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
    It is only special to the folks who ran Keith loads that were off the charts. For real world pressures, it isn't special at all. I caught and released mine, so somebody else can enjoy its 'special'ness.
    I respectfully disagree.

Factory 44 Special ammo is held within the SAAMI pressure limit of 15,500 psi and that is admittedly the weakness to the 44 Special. With factory loads that use jacketed bullets there's often just not enough velocity to really work with unless the bullet weight is dropped to the 200 grain range.
    With all due respect, I don't think it's an accurate characterization to say, "It is only special to the folks who ran Keith loads that were off the charts". The implication is the pressures need to be excessively high to make the Keith loads useful and that's not really true. While some "Skeeter" loads (240-250 gr lead bullet at 900-1000 fps) will be slightly over the SAAMI specs for 44 Special, I would hesitate to label them as "off the charts". Furthermore, it IS possible to reach the 900 fps velocity with a 240-250 grain lead bullet with some powder/bullet combinations and stay within the allowable limits. However, factory loaded 44 Special ammunition rarely gets even close to 900 fps when using 240-250 grain bullets. Now, some "Keith" loads in the 1000fps+ territory would fit the characterization of "off the charts" but it doesn't take 1000fps + to make the 44 Special something that is really ... - special.

Factory 44 Special ammunition has been the Achilles heel of the 44 Special for as long as I can remember. The 44 Magnum is a totally different animal than the 44 Special. Unfortunately the 44 Mag somehow became a yardstick for the 44 Special and that's really not a fair yardstick to measure the 44 Special against.

There has been a lack of DA revolvers chambered in 44 Special for many years. I'm happy to see Ruger step up and fill that need with a revolver that's NOT a 44 magnum.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    I like the concept, but I'm not a big fan of the GP-100 platform for concealment. They just seem a bit too big and heavy for a carry gun. S&W L-Frame .44s are also a bit too beefy to make a CCW gun, at least for most situations I'd encounter. What I'd really like to see is a K-frame 5-shot .44 special. A K-Frame .44 with a 3" barrel and a round butt grip frame might add up to carry revolver perfection if you're a big bore fan.

Uncle R.
    I like the concept too and the GP100 will likely be a nice take on this timeless classic.

But I do wonder what a large framed LCR would be like. Swell up the LCR just enough to get things to work with the 44 Special case. Now that would be something that would set the revolver carry market on its ear.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice to see Ruger bring out another new one. If it had a 4 - 4.5 inch barrel I would most likely buy one. But for now will stick to my S&W 69.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Been looking for another reasonably priced DA revolver in .44Spl for some time to supplement my Taurus adjustable sighted stainless model.
    I will most probably wait to see if a 4" barrel model is forthcoming and what the actual retail price will be.
    I am not hurting for.44Spl revolvers as I have a BlackHawk and a Cimarron on hand with another Cimarron on order in addition to the aforementioned Taurus(which by the way has been a completely reliable and accurate firearm).

My main reasons for wanting another DA .44Spl is for hiking and maybe concealed carry. Also I dislike shooting my magnum revolvers with special cases, whether it be .38Spl in .357mag or .44Spl in .44Mag revolvers.

In fact, I would welcome 2 or 3 revolvers(are you listening Ruger?) whether SA or DA in .41Spl also.

Groo here
    Those of you who pu-pu the 3 in barrel have most likely not shot or carried one.
    It is the one perfect size revolver.
    Enough barrel to get good speed and sighting, short enough to not poke a hole in your seat or ribs.
    I will get a ruger when I can [saving pennies].
    This may make the PPP [Perfect Packing Pistol]
    As a side note, like the Sp101[pocket rocket] , how long will it take for a smith to "extend" the chambers to use some more common brass????????????????????????????????????????????

You, ruger nailed it with this one!!!

3" bbl
    Adjustable sights
    And only 36oz's

Perfect for ccw!!!

Before I'd even bother with a boat anchor like the gp100, I'll stick with my 22oz ca bulldog.

I guess some might want it for woods walking/carry. Myself I'd rather have the new version of the s&w 69 44mag.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...-combat-magnum

Pretty much the same size revolver, both 5-shots, a 2 /34" bbl vs 3" bbl. 34 1/2oz vs 36oz. The huge difference is the 44mag vs 44spl. Last I knew I could load the 44mag down but I can only load the 44spl up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    You, ruger nailed it with this one!!!

3" bbl
    Adjustable sights
    And only 36oz's

Perfect for ccw!!!

Before I'd even bother with a boat anchor like the gp100, I'll stick with my 22oz ca bulldog.

I guess some might want it for woods walking/carry. Myself I'd rather have the new version of the s&w 69 44mag.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...-combat-magnum

Pretty much the same size revolver, both 5-shots, a 2 /34" bbl vs 3" bbl. 34 1/2oz vs 36oz. The huge difference is the 44mag vs 44spl. Last I knew I could load the 44mag down but I can only load the 44spl up so far.
    If the L Frame will take the punishment I don't know why the GP100 won't. I would think Ruger will eventually launch a 5-shot Mangum depending on the success of this model.

Boolit Grand Master

It is only special to the folks who ran Keith loads that were off the charts. For real world pressures, it isn't special at all. I caught and released mine, so somebody else can enjoy its 'special'ness.
    With all due respect if I want a 44 mag I'll buy one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I basically like the revolver except for the adjustable sights, I can just live without em on a defensive type handgun. As to loads, a .44 Spl. is a dandy caliber in it's own right. A 250gr. Keith bullet at 900fps. is more than enough for most social situations. I even like the old 246gr. lead rn. load at around 700fps. A dandy plinki'n load. I have magnum handguns, a .44Mag. and a 460Rowland, mostly shoot .44spl. level loads out of the .44 and use the .45ACP upper on the 1911's. Power's nice sometimes, but for the pure enjoyment of shooting, ya can't beat a .44Spl.

Perma-Banned

but for the pure enjoyment of shooting, ya can't beat a .44Spl.
    You got that right...it is SWEET and has teeth.

Boolit Master

I'm tickled to death!
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    With all due respect if I want a 44 mag I'll buy one.
    /\ Totally with you on this. If I want a 44 Magnum - I'll buy a 44 Magnum. I happy to see an option for a 44 Special in a DA platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    happy to see an option for a 44 Special in a DA platform.
    Me too. But am I the only one who wants an large-frame LCR in 44 Special?

Boolit Mold
    I bought the 2.5" Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special as I wanted an effective, close range, concealable handgun for travel. I've always enjoyed shooting the .44 Special and it is not as abusive on the hands as a short barreled .357 Magnum. I will admit though, as much as I like the Charter Arms, I would have (and may still) purchased the Ruger GP100 platform, sigh.

Moderator Emeritus

I have 3 friends who own the Rossi 3" .44's, and love them. They carry them regularly, but these guys don't really care if they're totally concealed or not, so ... Uncle R's observations are spot on for many folks. However, I do believe these GP100's will be sufficiently concealable when wearing a jacket in either a good kidney position holster that tucks the butt in nicely, or maybe a shoulder holster. I have and have had several shoulder holsters, but never liked them all that much, but that may be changing.

Ick, if I'm not really lucky, you may have just cost me some $$$! THANKS!

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    Ruger has a button on their website "tell the CEO" ... I've asked for a "LMR" (Light MEDIUM Revolver) just a bigger brother to the LCR, 7 shot 357, and 3" barrel ... sure they could fit 44 Spl in it too ...

Go ahead and give him your wish list ...

I'm all set up for 357/38 so ... prefer that caliber ... DAO shrouded/concealed hammer too please!
    Already did.

Lol I thought the same thing with a .44 special Blackhawk a few years ago, I just didn't get it.

That said, I'm interested in this one and really appreciate the new guns Ruger has come up with over the last year and a half. I bought one of the .45 'convertible' Redhawks last year and want to buy one of the Kodiak Backpackers too. I will likely add this one to the list since it may be a short run due to lukewarm reception and thus a future collectible.
    Keep moving forward!

That's probably true with most of the available factory loads that're loaded for cowboy action or to be safe in guns from the turn of the last century.

There are a few companies making more modern ammo. Underwood and Buffalo Bore come to mind. Underwood, for example, shows a 200gr Gold Dot at 1,100 fps. Not too bad especially if we can get close to this with a 3" barrel.

This brings up a point about the 44Mag in stubby barrels. Will there really be a significant terminal ballistic improvement in 44SPL vs 44Mag from an abbreviated tube or will all that extra powder just translate into tremendous muzzle flash?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast