RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gunblast Review GP100 44 Special

Banned
    What's wrong with a soft 250 grain SWC with or without a HP loaded in a 44 Special casing and driven to about 900 fps from a 4" barrel?
    It might be a little slower in a 3" barrel but not by much. If it has a hollowpoint and it expands, great. If it doesn't expand, also great.

In a perfect world I would have two molds. One that dropped a 250 grain Keith style SWC and another mold with HP pins that dropped a Keith style SWC that weighed about the same with the hollowpoints.

Bullet expansion is the icing on the cake.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    What's wrong with a soft 250 grain SWC with or without a HP loaded in a 44 Special casing and driven to about 900 fps from a 4" barrel?
    It might be a little slower in a 3" barrel but not by much. If it has a hollowpoint and it expands, great. If it doesn't expand, also great.

In a perfect world I would have two molds. One that dropped a 250 grain Keith style SWC and another mold with HP pins that dropped a Keith style SWC that weighed about the same with the hollowpoints.

Bullet expansion is the icing on the cake.
    Nothing wrong with the 250gr for defensive purposes, I just prefer a bullet that does not penetrate as much as the 250gr reg swc. Actually, I carry 200gr full wadcutters in my 44 specials, for social work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 250gr for defensive purposes, I just prefer a bullet that does not penetrate as much as the 250gr reg swc. Actually, I carry 200gr full wadcutters in my 44 specials, for social work.
    /\ That will work. I'm sure a 200 grain 44 at any decent velocity will work for SD.

As for bullet penetration, I like the idea of enough penetration to stop the fight. If the bullet penetrates more than needed, that's a concern but a very secondary concern. I'm not saying that over penetration is a non-issue but I am saying that over penetration is preferable to insufficient penetration. Perhaps if I was always in an environment where over penetration was always a serious concern (very tight quarters such as: aircraft, subways, etc.) that would be a bigger issue for me.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ That will work. I'm sure a 200 grain 44 at any decent velocity will work for SD.

As for bullet penetration, I like the idea of enough penetration to stop the fight. If the bullet penetrates more than needed, that's a concern but a very secondary concern. I'm not saying that over penetration is a non-issue but I am saying that over penetration is preferable to insufficient penetration. Perhaps if I was always in an environment where over penetration was always a serious concern (very tight quarters such as: aircraft, subways, etc.) that would be a bigger issue for me.
    I agree on the penetration...based on my pretty fair amount of testing, I think the 200gr full wadcutters will over penetrate...they seem to want to keep going, even at very moderate velocity. Another reason that I use them is because of the larger meplat of the fullwadcutter over the swc.

Just picked it up. More info shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Just picked it up. More info shortly.

Very NICE!!! I like how far the grips go up to the trigger loop.

Hope you have a chronograph to use when you're testing that underwood ammo??? That 245gr fmj looks sweet!!!

There's a lot of talk about ammo.
    Heck there's nothing wrong with 250gr bullet doing 700fps/800fpl/900fpl/etc. Use what you want.

Myself I'm just typing an opinion on the innerweb, and it's nothing more than just that. 1 persons opinion.
    Decades ago I looked at snub nosed revolvers and had a decision to make
    Use a snub nosed 38spl with a 158gr bullet doing 800fps
    Use a snub nosed 44psl with a 250gr bullet doing 800fps
    Well I chose a 44spl and as I test factory loads along with reloads I came to the opinion that (and yes this is nothing more than 1 persons opinion).
    I'd rather have a 250gr bullet/1000fps load for the snub nosed 44spl rather than a 800fps/250gr load.
    I'd rather have a 200gr bullet/1000+fps load for the snub nosed 44spl rather than a 900fps/200gr bullet load.

Use what you want, I'm glad you have a load that you like/trust and are able to depend on. Myself I tend to look at what the people that make $$$ from producing ammo are selling. There seems to be 2 camps for the 44spl right now.
    The stay in the ball and chain/standard pressure limits
    Small companies that are putting out hot loads that are know for their sd ammo.

And for some odd reason the ammo mfg's that are know for their sd ammo are putting out a high performance sd ammo for the 44spl in the 1000+fps range with several different bullets.

On a side note:
    The 200gr gd you asked about was fired into water.
    I'm real interested to see what that 950fps/245gr bullet load does over a chronograph from your 3" bbl'd gp100.

I will use a PACT for velocities and also plan to try a few loads into 10% gel from Clear Ballistics. In addition to the Underwood 200gr JHP I also want to try a couple 200-220gr cast bullets.

I should probably also try the Speer Gold Dot loaded up with H110 to see what a "+P+" load will do. Will it provide a big advantage over the Underwood or will it just make more noise and flash?

I'm really wonder about Hornady's Critical Defense. The published ballistics just don't look that good. They're listing a 165gr bullet at 900fps. While no doubt a pussycat to shoot it doesn’t seem like they're going in the right direction. And their published penetration through clothing is less than 10in. Sounds to me like they'd have been better trying to push velocities into the 1100-ish range. But maybe they tried that with even less penetration?

Anyway, more soon.

Last edited by usbp379; 12-28-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Would these expand at 800fps?

USBP You lucky dog! I'll send you some of those boolits to load up and test If you like,,, PM me..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Nice to see Ruger bring out another new one. If it had a 4 - 4.5 inch barrel I would most likely buy one. But for now will stick to my S&W 69.
    I concur, And once again, Ruger and I suppose, Lipsey's, only missed it by an inch.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Master
    I would be all over that, except I already have a 696, and a 41 Special GP100! Still will grab one if I get a chance
    Really glad to see Ruger build a DA 44 special, 250 at 900 is plenty enough in my world, and my 696 has shot lots of Skeeter loads right about there. Looking forward to some reviews here.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I would be all over that, except I already have a 696, and a 41 Special GP100! Still will grab one if I get a chance
    Really glad to see Ruger build a DA 44 special, 250 at 900 is plenty enough in my world, and my 696 has shot lots of Skeeter loads right about there. Looking forward to some reviews here.
    Who did your 41 Special conversion? How's it shoot?

Boolit Master
    Mr. Clements did mine, excellent work for a fair price. Takes near a year, but I knew the throat dias would be right when I ordered it! I have been working too much to do much testing but it is holding around 2 inches at 25 yards with most loads I've tried, from a rest open sights and 57 year old eyes, I am a happy camper. Check the 41 sticky in your favorite cartridge for some pics of mine and others. He also does it in 10 mm so it's not fragile, check the 10 mm pressure spec !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    The cylinder is same thickness as the 357.bigger cylinder allowed that. So does that mean it will withstand same psi?
    or 80%as per the 45 lc vs 44 mag?

I picked up the GP100 44 Special. For me, it was exactly what I wanted. I love the Ruger GP100 platform. 44 magnum is great, but too bulky for conceal carry. I got the CA Bulldog a few years back. It fills a niche in my collection, and will remain a trusted companion during certain outings. But this gun (GP100) I believe can fill the same niche and more. No, I won't be carrying this one in my pocket, but with the right holster I intend to carry whenever possible, wherever I go.

I like the fact that I can "broaden the horizons" a bit with the GP100. I'm not wanting 44 magnum performance. Just somewhere in between. I'll save the 44 magnum for when want to shoot longer range through two or more intended targets.

So far, Universal is the winner with the best 10 yard group. 967 fps average velocity.

I must say that the factory trigger is the best factory DA trigger I've ever experienced. I actually have tighter groups DA vs SA. A whole lot more shooting this gun is in my future.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Firestick: Glad to see another .44 Spl GP100 guy. I couldn't make my mind up on which way to go---so I went with the GP100 in blue (4.5") AND the Smith 69 in .44 Mag. Since they are both "L"frame size it makes holster selection less expensive. BTW Lipsey's had the 4.5" barrel if anyone else is interested. Hope this helps. Stan

I would really like it if Ruger would do another run of the 5" Gp100 as well as a full 5" version of the Gp100 in 22 as well.....I'm weird like that but 5" guns are awesome for field and range work...best all around for me.

I would love to get one of these and pair it up with a 44 mag rifle...be a good combo, Already have a 38/357 rifle/revolver combination and that one is hard to beat.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Well, I ran across a 5 inch blues one fall before last. Local shop and it was new. First new revolver for me in a long while! I only buy new if I suspect it might be a short run. Well it had near zero endshake, .004 bc gap and was smooth. I debated a week or two hoping it would not be there to tempt me. I like it, had to cut down the rear sight blade and snug the sight all the was down. That’s ok as I opened the rear sight notch for more “white” around the front at the same time. It shot too high at 25 yards with the Skeeter load, zeroed now. I took a hog with it end of last month, skeeter load kills just fine, and the mid frame 5 inch carries well. I cleaned the action up last week and lightened the trigger return spring as well. Think I want to split the difference on the trigger spring but deburing everything made the fairly smooth factory a “very smooth” now. It also fits the same holster as my 41special. Smith 696 is not going anywhere but I am really liking the Lipseys 5 inch!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Well, I ran across a 5 inch blues one fall before last. Local shop and it was new. First new revolver for me in a long while! I only buy new if I suspect it might be a short run. Well it had near zero endshake, .004 bc gap and was smooth. I debated a week or two hoping it would not be there to tempt me. I like it, had to cut down the rear sight blade and snug the sight all the was down. That’s ok as I opened the rear sight notch for more “white” around the front at the same time. It shot too high at 25 yards with the Skeeter load, zeroed now. I took a hog with it end of last month, skeeter load kills just fine, and the mid frame 5 inch carries well. I cleaned the action up last week and lightened the trigger return spring as well. Think I want to split the difference on the trigger spring but deburing everything made the fairly smooth factory a “very smooth” now. It also fits the same holster as my 41special. Smith 696 is not going anywhere but I am really liking the Lipseys 5 inch!
    You did good. The Lipsey's 5" GP100 is a strong contender for my favorite handgun. I used the lightest trigger return spring, and kept the original hammer spring. The trigger on mine is as good as you could ever ask from a production revolver. It is outstanding. About 2 1/2 pound single action, and a butter smooth 9-10 pound double action.

Having read through all the post's ... I get a kick out of the different opinions expressed. I am in the camp of nothing ... NOTHING ... can compare with a nice soft [un-hardened] lead boolit in a semi-wadcutter configuration , sized to the throat/bore needs to ensure no leading. These have to be the very best projectile ever to come down the pike.

Trick to these lead projectiles is speed! Speed consisting of 800 and below FPS. Very good expansion and shocking power.

Think about the ORIGINAL big bore self defense handgun. ( no not cap n ball) ... talking about the 45 Colt. Could be the very best man stopper ever! Using soft lead mostly round nose boolits with a small flat point ... these tremendous stoppers DID for man and beast and held the top ring rite up til the combo of 357 Mag/jacketed hollowpoint. These only outdid the venerable 45 Colt by a little and at the cost of over penetration and WAY too much muzzle blast.

Looking at the 44 Special out of a 3 inch barrel power wise ... loaded with the same soft lead boolit in a semi wadcutter configuration and running at 700 to 800 FPS ... in my humble opinion ... will suffice for man or beast in a comfortable package [enter the GP 100 5 shot 3 inch revolver] should be almost a do all combo.

Yes I got a super deal on the Ruger GP 44 spcl. So it got adopted by myself. The more I handle it the better I like it. Balance well, comfortable shooter, solid package and great sights equal a near do all combo. This 44 leaves almost nothing on the table when compared to the great 45 Colt. A few thousands less in diameter, comparable weight with the same lead alloy equals very comparable results that made the old Colt round such a resounding success.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Having read through all the post's ... I get a kick out of the different opinions expressed. I am in the camp of nothing ... NOTHING ... can compare with a nice soft [un-hardened] lead boolit in a semi-wadcutter configuration , sized to the throat/bore needs to ensure no leading. These have to be the very best projectile ever to come down the pike.

Trick to these lead projectiles is speed! Speed consisting of 800 and below FPS. Very good expansion and shocking power.

Think about the ORIGINAL big bore self defense handgun. ( no not cap n ball) ... talking about the 45 Colt. Could be the very best man stopper ever! Using soft lead mostly round nose boolits with a small flat point ... these tremendous stoppers DID for man and beast and held the top ring rite up til the combo of 357 Mag/jacketed hollowpoint. These only outdid the venerable 45 Colt by a little and at the cost of over penetration and WAY too much muzzle blast.

Looking at the 44 Special out of a 3 inch barrel power wise ... loaded with the same soft lead boolit in a semi wadcutter configuration and running at 700 to 800 FPS ... in my humble opinion ... will suffice for man or beast in a comfortable package [enter the GP 100 5 shot 3 inch revolver] should be almost a do all combo.

Yes I got a super deal on the Ruger GP 44 spcl. So it got adopted by myself. The more I handle it the better I like it. Balance well, comfortable shooter, solid package and great sights equal a near do all combo. This 44 leaves almost nothing on the table when compared to the great 45 Colt. A few thousands less in diameter, comparable weight with the same lead alloy equals very comparable results that made the old Colt round such a resounding success.
    I've read over, and over, and over, from people who lived through the late 1800's, early 1900's that the 45 colt was not a spectacular man stopper. Most notably Elmer Keith. In fact the cap and ball, shooting a pure lead ball, was considered the best of the time. Remember that the bullets of the time were almost always round nosed, and provided horrible performance compared to the flat nosed bullets. At 800 fps or less, even pure lead bullets will not show any significant expansion without a hollow point. A lead ball from a revolver on the other hand does flatten out nicely.

Does that make the 44 special bad? Not at all. There are no flies on a 260 grain SWC at these relatively low velocities, even for hunting purposes. Are they so called "man stoppers" on par with a 158 grain HP from a 357 magnum? Not a chance. Can a 200 grain HP from a 44 special come close? Possibly, but bullet selection becomes key.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast