Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best value entry-level red dot for AR platform

Boolit Master

Best value entry-level red dot for AR platform

Hey.

A buddy of mine just bought an AR and wants to try a red dot sight. The only two I own are an old Bushnell Holo-Site and a Micro-Lux.
    For a new shooter with an AR-platform rifle for casual use (not competition or tactical purposes), what are your thoughts? He'd like a dot with 2x or 4x magnification without trading an arm and a leg for it.
    Last edited by JSnover; 12-20-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Man

Look at Primary Arms

Boolit Master
    For a tube-style (aimpoint-esque) primary arms is the way to go, same for the Bushnell TRS25. Starts around $79 and goes up. For open-top red dots, either Burris or C-more.

Don't be afraid to stalk the equipment exchanges on arfcom and similar cesspools, I got my Aimpoint Comp M2 for $200 that way with mount.

Boolit Buddy
    get the Holosun. They are the ones who make the sight for Primary Arms. It's cheaper and different/better features
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Grand Master

The Burris AR332 is a good magnified red dot made for the AR platform.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I hadn't heard of Primary Arms until now.

Banned

A step above entry level, The Vortex Sparc 2. Uses AAA batteries. I can find no fault in it and in fact it continues to impress. I have two which cost under $200 each.

I have used this one here on a Desert Eagle in 44. Haven't had any problem since they step me up to this form a lower model. No magnification, but for $119.00 it's a good buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Ult...ords=sightmark
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I have a Truglo that has a 2 x built in, I'm pretty happy with it, it is currently sitting on my SKS.
    Price around 60$

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    A step above entry level, The Vortex Sparc 2. Uses AAA batteries. I can find no fault in it and in fact it continues to impress. I have two which cost under $200 each.
    Just ordered one this AM $169 from Primary Arms. Love Votex products and they have a lifetime warranty

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks.

Banned

Don, you will love your Sparc or I will buy it off you if you do not.
    John
    Last edited by jmort; 12-21-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Don, you will love your Sparc or I will buy it off you if you do not.
    John
    John,
    I got it for a new AR for the girlfriend. The EoTech is a bit heavy and she is a little lady so keeping weight down is a factor. Of course it will be my job to get it sighted in, and after that "chore" I probably will not be using it much. It is great having a lady who wants to shoot.

I nearly nearly bought two at the price.

I have a few Vortex products, with the 5-20 Razor HD being the most expensive toy. They are great products, so I doubt the Sparc will disappoint.

But I appreciate your kind offer to bail me out...LOL

Don

Boolit Master
    Wow. That Vortex looks nice!

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Hey.

A buddy of mine just bought an AR and wants to try a red dot sight. The only two I own are an old Bushnell Holo-Site and a Micro-Lux.
    For a new shooter with an AR-platform rifle for casual use (not competition or tactical purposes), what are your thoughts? He'd like a dot with 2x or 4x magnification without trading an arm and a leg for it.
    Once again I will recommend a Bushnell TRS 25 Red Dot Sight. For and AR you get the one with the Riser. This sight is the best bang for your buck out there and generally with the riser they are about $110-120. This particular sight is worth well more than Bushnell sells it for. I have 6!

With these sights on the AR Platform you really don't need magnification. You will be able to hit a man sized target out to 200 or 300 yards easily. That is considered the normal effective range for the .223 cartridge.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Are there any 2X or 4X micro/reflex red dots on the market? I've seen a separate magnifier that will boost the red dot but that's 2 separate mounted devices. Most have no magnification - or at least all that I know of.

Myself, I went with the Aimpoint T1 micro, but I purchased it wholesale, but that is still quite a bit more expensive that most others on the market. On most red dots you'll probably still need to purchase a riser, which can be expensive.

Myself, I wouldn't recommend a reflex dot over 2moa, unless you go to something like the Leupold Deltapoint, which is 7.5 moa, but by using the delta tip as your aim point, it's like a 1/2moa dot.

Banned

my favorite in the bang for the buck category are then votex sparc and strikefire. They hold up well. They may not be the sight an aimpoint is but for a 1/3 the price there a bargain.

Boolit Master
    I bought one of these, last year, when they had them on sale for $69, with the high rise mount. I didn't need the high rise spacer for the 45LC BH. Dollars, well spent. IMO

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-a...dot-sight.html

Haven't shot enough Ruger Only Loads to determine if it will hold up. Also, have one of the Bushnell TRS-25, but I prefer this one. I don't like fiddling with manually adjusting rheostats or on/off switches. I would prefer a smaller dot, than 5 minutes, for longer range accuracy.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Thanks again, I'll pass all of this along.

Moderator Emeritus

I would warn against the Bushnell TRS-25 that others have recommended. And before I catch hell for it, there is a reason. On the latest batch of them they moved the emitter from the 4 o'clock position to the 6 and it ruined the sight. With the move, it makes it impossible to see the reticle from all angles which is supposed to be an advantage of dot sights and it washes out in bright sunlight. I have 2 of the old model and like them and if you can check it first and be sure the emitter is not at the bottom of the tube then get one. If you cant tell before buying it - don't buy it. The last one I got was a 6 o'clock as I didn't realize they had changed them and it went back as quickly as I found the problems with it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast