Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Miniature hand loading tools for the 22 Hornet

Boolit Buddy

Miniature hand loading tools for the 22 Hornet

In a recent "pig-in-a-poke" purchase I got these little gems. Cute, functional, but I have no idea who made them.

Looks to be complete, any input on origin would be appreciated.

Are they worth anything? collectible?

Nitro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22 hornet loader.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Collector value is probably nil, especially if they're not marked.
    Looks kind of like a home-made Lee Loader kit. I'd ask for $40.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Sinclair? There were a couple of companies making staight line loading dies for accuracy using a standard arbor press back in the '50's and 60's.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, seems to me there are pics of old straight line reloading tools in Cartridges of the World (got 'em somewhere anyway). If those aren't marked with manufacturer or custom maker then likely homemade. That isn't to say they are not excellent tools though. Like Wayne said could be made for extra accurate reloading for benchrest or maybe long range varmint shooting.

Do you have a .22 Hornet or know someone with one you could try using them to reload for?

Boolit Buddy
    Careful scrutiny would indicate not a commercial unit, still very nicely made. Here's the whole kit I put together. All that's left is to hunt for a nice Hornet. I added a Lyman Ideal Shell Resizer, vintage LEE priming tool with "A" holder, a 039 LEE scoop and LEE data sheet.

I owned a Hornet back in the day, hated it, didn't really understand it, my fault not the caliber. Maybe the gun was partially to blame, a Topper. Today I'd look for a low wall or perhaps a Lyman Baby Sharp's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hornet kit.jpg  

you don't like a ruger #3 ? I am quite fond of my #3 hornet

Boolit Grand Master
    I've noticed the title of this thread for a while and had to chime in... back about 20 or so years ago I was collecting all of the old Schuetzen-related tools I could find/afford. A friend showed up at a gun show with an Ideal #1 breech seating tool to push seat a bullet for a 22 Hornet ahead of a primed and charged case. I bought it, box and all for a paltry sum, but I can't imagine actually using this technique for this caliber. At least you wouldn't have to worry about crimping/crushing case necks though!

PS Nice rig there, nitro-express! If you couldn't make it shoot with that outfit I'd be amazed. BTW, has anybody here played with the 25 Hornet? It sounds like it would be interesting.
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 12-31-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    A friend showed up at a gun show with an Ideal #1 breech seating tool to push seat a bullet for a 22 Hornet ahead of a primed and charged case.
    Froggie, I'd bet a dollar that seating tool is for the old .22-20 Harwood Hornet, a wildcat created in the early 1890s by Reuben Harwood by necking down the .25-20 Single Shot, rather than what we know today as the .22 Hornet. By the time our modern .22 Hornet was introduced (c.1930, and based on the .22 Winchester Center Fire cartridge) the old breach-seating tool had already been discontinued for a number of years.

A thread from almost a year and a half ago with a bit of history on the .22 Harwood Hornet:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hing-Oct-1906)

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    The 22 Harwood Hornet sounds an awful lot like a BP version of the 22 Lovell (or 22-3000) that became popular as a varmint round in the 1930s. But alas, the breech seater I have has a bored out case to hold the bullet, and it's a 22 Hornet, IIRC. I actually have a 25-20 SS high wall and a low wall in the same caliber in the works. It would be nice if my breech seater were indeed based on the 25-20 case, I guess, but I'll need to make up a new 25 caliber stem for it as well as drilling a case.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    The photo of the reloading tool that Nitro-express posted is similar to the "Handy Dandy" rifle reloader made by Consolidated Armslube in the early 1960's ( which is illustrated in the 1st edition of Handloader's Digest by John T Amber). It is "A brand-new portable hand tool - low enough in price for the occasional shooter, accurate enough for the bench rester ... With this tool and powder measure, on-the-range reloading is performed with ease and accuracy."