Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: might have a georgia hunt this year

Boolit Buddy

might have a georgia hunt this year

A buddy of mine had a cancellation so I might have a chance to hunt Georgia after Christmas. Looking like 3 day hunt, no shots over 75 yards. Will probably taking my marlin .44 mag SRC and my rem ls hunter 10mm as close range backup. The .44 is 240g swc with upper mid range load of 2400 and the 10mm will be 175g tc pc. Still need to work up a load for the 10mm, haven't even shot it yet. The .44 is a great shooter with a skinner peep. Was thinking about the beowulf but he said the .44 would be plenty at that range. If it happens it will be my first deer hunt ever at 36yrs old and only taking cast boolit loads. Might as well start out right.
    Last edited by blademasterii; 12-19-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: bad memory fix
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Grand Master
    well have a good safe trip
    my first hunt was many many years ago
    you will remember your in the years that follow
    hope it is start of a long hunting career
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Good luck. We are pulling for you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Perma-Banned

You will be good to go with the .44 or the 10mm.

Just wondering...what is a simons peep...I haven't seen one them and I am a peep sight fan...might be interested.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, bad memory. It is a Skinner sight. http://www.skinnersights.com/ Mine is the brass model on my 44 mag saddle ring carbine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	229946_10151282687803060_1658752360_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	183139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1932492_10152350840668060_589038312_n.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	183140
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Banned

I was looking at that picture backwards trying to figure out how you got the ring on the right side of the rifle.

Perma-Banned

What caliber is the BFR?

Boolit Buddy
    45-70

Boolit Master
    Shot placement, shot placement,shot placement.

Our deer aren't particularly hard to put down, but can be hard to find if you don't get a good blood trail. The deer usually head for the densest cover they can reach. Often with a high lung shot they'll quit bleeding before they expire and you are in for a long search. A well placed hit with your SWC will do the job.
    Tight behind the front leg ~6" above bottom of chest will take the top off the heart. I got two hit there opening day with a .218Bee. One ran 30yds, second ran 75yds, with little blood trail. Took 30min to find that one. Third one shot behind the eye laid down!

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't make it up there this year but looks like I should be good for next year. Also will be hunting south carolina on a 500acre lease and bro in law just said his brother said I could hunt his property in tennessee. So I might actually have some meat this year. Will be my first year acctually hunting. Never had the time, money or place all at the same time. Some will be with my .458 socom sbr suppressed, some with my 50 beowulf and probably some with my .44 mag lever or my 454 lever. And if they get close enough I just got a 10mm long slide 1911 hunter. I will make sure everything I take has no problem hitting a 3'' circle at 100 every time. If I can do that I should be good to go.

Too bad you couldn't do the hunt in GA. As Goose said, they're pretty easy to kill if hit correctly. Both of mine this year were DRT, both hit just behind the front leg. Load was old Hornady 150 gr j-words at around 2700fps from my 30-06.

Boolit Master

Good luck next year
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95