WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bore polishing (NOT firelapping)

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Not too sure where this can / should be posted because it isn't PPing as such. It's more gunsmithing than anything else I suppose, but TWIMC; I got this fire-polishing thing started a while back by publishing a short article in the CBA's Fouling Shot describing some fire polishing I did on a Yugoslav 8x57.

Well, as it happens, I've gotten both my stepsons into shooting, and last weekend, one of them expressed an interest in the nice milsurp 8MM that was taking up space in my safe. I haven't done anything much with it (crude iron sights and old eyes are not good bedfellows), so I invited him to take it back with him and borrow it for a year or two (VBG).

He just called to tell me it shoots GREAT!! To some folks, 'great' means that he hit the barn both times, so I questioned him about the details. He said he'd just shot at a 1" square on a sheet of paper at 100 yards, and managed to keep all his shots within an inch of it. That translates to a 3" group with iron sights, which may not be anything to compete with in a benchrest match, but at the very least, it should be enough to indicate that firepolishing your bore isn't likely to do any serious harm.

Another shooter (who also posts here, but I don't have permisssion to quote him) wrote to tell me that he'd run a few firepolishing shots through his 2-groove springfield. He'd followed my advice about using a jacketed bullet and a powder charge in the 50% of normal ballpark, and had no trace of trouble. Results: Incomplete at the moment, as he plans to do some more firepolishing, but the pressure to push a patch down the bore was notably more uniform than what it had been.

I'm continuing to get more and more positive reports on fire-polishing, and to date, not a single adverse comment. So come on fellows, get your feet wet.

Now I just need to get my stepson into cast bullets...

Molly
    Last edited by Molly; 09-07-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Krieger and Lilja have discussed lapping finishes. I believe they stated that mirror polished bores are detrimental. You can goggle it.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The barrel internals should be lapped using the equivalent of 800 grit, and no finer for a barrel to retain appropriate lube. Let the boolits themselves do the fine polishing. Oak floors should be sanded with 125 grit for the same reason, to hold down enough polyurethane for foot traffic abrasion. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 02-15-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    felix

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage .308 barrel thats a real BEAR to clean, as in removing copper. I feel like its a little on the rough side. Its accuracy is O.K. at best. I don't want to replace the barrel on the rifle yet but I don't know how to make the barrel shoot better. I wouldn't mind try cast boolits in it at some point and I've even gone far as slugging the barrel. The slug came out .306". IMHO thats rather small.
    Any suggestions?

Paper patching is 'well known' for polishing the bore. Lubing the patch works better as I have found experimentally. Fire-polishing seems like a good idea to me and I have tried it using Auto-Sol metal polish smeared onto the boolit before firing.

I have a bore that has been 'polished' by firing about 500 rounds of cordite ammo. I don't know how smooth it is but I can feel the difference between the breech area and about midway along. This barrel used to copper foul the whole bore but after the cordite it only fouled the mid section onward and then mostly the lands which makes sense. I'm planing on fire-polishing this bore and I'll be using Auto-Sol again but with j-words as per Molly.

As for fire-lapping a rough bore - been there and achieved great results but the boolit needs to fit the throat. How smooth is needed? Well, You've all seen this pic before.

That's after fire-lapping - not polishing. That is now an accurate rifle but I do lube the bullet which transfers to the bore and is held in the pits I'm sure. This bore does not copper foul. It doesn't lead either but it's hopeless with cast or paper patched.

The jacket

The lube is held on the boat tail and base.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    Once fire-lapped a brand new Rem .308 that grouped around 7 inches at the 100 yard line. Judcisious lapping and cleaning turned it into a sub MOA performer.

An idea came to mind for fire-polishing. PVA paint. Think it might work on paper patched boolits?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123