Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This years, and my 3rd - 45/70 cast boolit elk

Boolit Master

This years, and my 3rd - 45/70 cast boolit elk

Sorry to say I didn't get another deer to add to the growing pile of 45/70 deer, but the early antlerless elk season did see my 3rd elk hit the ground.

I'm still just as impressed with the results today as I was after the first critter!

Did spend some time trying to put a cast bullet from my RUGER 77/44 into a deer, but never had the opportunity to give it a go. The final time out saw me again pack'in the RUGER 45/70.

I consider the cast bullet .44 load to be about a 100yd deer rifle with a 275gr cast Wide Flat Nose at about 1700fps, while the 45/70 with the 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) at 1650fps is proven beyond that range.

This years elk was 161yds, and the Leupold CDS (Custom Dial System) put it right where it should be with the dial set at 150yds.

Maybe next year will be the .44s turn, but mean while love that 45/70!

Crusty Deary Ol'CootClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0732.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	183124
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 12-20-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Congrads on a successful season .. Sounds like the freezer will be overflowing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! That looks like a pile of venison.

I've got a Marlin in .44 that must smell bad. Any time i take it out the deer leave the country.
    Good luck next year with your 77/44.

Good eating there for sure. Nice shot with a fine rifle and cal.

Perma-Banned

Good job...ya got some good eatin' there.

Boolit Master
    Congrats. Lookin' good!

Boolit Grand Master
    congrats Coot
    some fine eatin for sure steaks,tenderloin,backstraps yum yum
    I am always impressed when I use my 45/70 on big game it
    just lays em down plain and simple
    enjoy and take care
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    Nice shooting, looks like you won't have a long drag

Boolit Buddy
    Well done Crusty..........

I ended up finding a 77/44 this year and am thrilled to have found one especially here in Canada. I also have the Ruger No.1 in 45/70. As I just started casting for them last year none has tasted a hunt yet. I read your posts every time I see them, and learn something new each time. Well done on the elk....a full freezer for the winter months is hard to beat. Congratulations

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations! That's awesome.

Boolit Master

Great job CDOC. I always enjoy your Ruger No.1 45-70 hunting stories. I have an all weather stainless that has only taken a measly whitetail buck, but it did a good job on that. I agree the old 45-70 is one fine caliber. Great looking elk too BTW. Looks like she is very fat and will make some mighty fine eating.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Bub
    Congrats CDOC.

Banned
    congrats!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations! 3 elk in the freezer, that's something!

Boolit Master
    Yep she was REALLY FAT. I think I have another image that shows how fat.

The fellow that is cutting the critter in half is the reason this Ol'Coot can hunt for these big critters during the hot Aug weather. When Doug is home and available, I can hunt. If not, well I hunt another day.

Walk in in the dark and unless something is down I'm out of the woods and home by 8:30 - 9 am or before.

Doug and his wife operate a reforestation tree growing business and part of the operation is a big cooler. So, if some one gets a critter Doug turns on the compressor and then we can hang the meat in the cooler until it gets cut.

Doug and Pat get half of the critter, but as said, I couldn't do it with out Doug's help considering the size of the critter and the temps.

Rebuilt this trailer just for use behind the 4Wheeler, but it is also usable behind the pickup. It is narrow enough and low enough (with the tail gates down) to pull under road blockage gates put up to keep pickups and cars out of logged areas. Most are OK to go around with 4 wheelers so it is OK to go in and the trailer makes it possible to get a critter out.

The front is made strong enough so I can use a snatch block and hook the 4wheeler wench to it and pull a critter onto the trailer deck.

This was the first critter hauled out with the trailer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0756.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	183190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0745.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	183191

Vendor Sponsor

Nice!! I need to get some Elk in the freezer just to try it..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    ELK meat is premo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to beat ELK!

CDOC

Boolit Master

Congrats on making meat with the 45/70. I have that same rifle. Would you mind sharing load specifics, and what mold was used?
    Thanks.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    Dan,

The 465gr bullet is from a 4 cavity mold made by "BABore", Bruce over on the Cast Boolets forum. Sadly something changed in his life and he, while still present on that forum, no longer makes his FINE molds.

Personally having ordered a number of molds from Accurate Molds, I go to him and even if needed send a sample bullet if needed. However, Tom likely lists a bullet that is very close in design to the one I use.

LBT makes good molds, but because of the sprue plate and the sprue plate hold down I MUCH prefer the Accurate Molds product.

Tom has always been VERY good to deal with.

I'll attach an Image of a before and after of my 465gr.

The load is 47.5gr of H335. A load suggested by Bruce. I have tested above and below his recommended load, as well as testing other powders but keep coming back to that load. It gives right at 1650fps from my 22" barrel

The bullet is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead and water quenched as they drop from the hot mold.

Bruce also suggested sizing in a push through sizing die to .460 (for my rifle) ASAP after casting then at some later and convenient time going back with a .461 die in a sizer/luber for lubing. I have seated the gas checks at both stages and one seems to work as well as the other.

Bruce also said to allow the bullets to "age" a minimum of 7 days (with 14 being better) before use.

He also said that he had tested bullets before the 7 days and the tester said they were good to go but his rifle told a different story.

The bullet shown is lubed with LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue, but I soon went to the White Label "BAC" which I felt gave better results.

Bruce had a home brew that he recommended, but I prefer to buy a premade product.

The "after" bullet was taken from my first cast bullet/45/70 elk and I never expected to find one of these. The shot was a quartering shot which took out the HEAVY upper front leg bone, a rib, went through lungs, a BIG and FULL paunch guts and lodged just ahead of the off side hind. Remaining weight is 327.9gr. I suspect the nose was lost with the impact of the front leg after which it still penetrated about 30" +/-.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	183216
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 12-21-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast