WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This years, and my 3rd - 45/70 cast boolit elk

Boolit Master

Good Information

This was exactly the information I was interested in reading, CDOC. Thanks for sharing it. I am using a 405 grain Accurate mold boolit for my 4570 but it is a Marlin CB, which I doubt will accept that particular profile you are using.

If I may, where did you hit this cow and how far did she go once perforated?
    Christopher

The load is 47.5gr of H335. A load suggested by Bruce. I have tested above and below his recommended load, as well as testing other powders but keep coming back to that load. It gives right at 1650fps from my 22" barrel

The bullet is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead and water quenched as they drop from the hot mold.

Bruce also suggested sizing in a push through sizing die to .460 (for my rifle) ASAP after casting then at some later and convenient time going back with a .461 die in a sizer/luber for lubing. I have seated the gas checks at both stages and one seems to work as well as the other.

Bruce also said to allow the bullets to "age" a minimum of 7 days (with 14 being better) before use.

He also said that he had tested bullets before the 7 days and the tester said they were good to go but his rifle told a different story.

The bullet shown is lubed with LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) soft blue, but I soon went to the White Label "BAC" which I felt gave better results.

Bruce had a home brew that he recommended, but I prefer to buy a premade product.

The "after" bullet was taken from my first cast bullet/45/70 elk and I never expected to find one of these. The shot was a quartering shot which took out the HEAVY upper front leg bone, a rib, went through lungs, a BIG and FULL paunch guts and logged just ahead of the off side hind. Remaining weight is 327.9gr. I suspect the nose was lost with the impact of the front leg after which it still penetrated about 30" +/-.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Attachment 183216[/QUOTE]

Boolit Master

Good system, people helping people
    and
    Having the right equipment
    SWEET
    Thank you for sharing
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Christopher,

I really believe my bullet will function through a Marlin and I "think" I have run it through a Marlin.

However, be that as it may, your 405gr from an Accurate Mold should get er done, especially if it is a Wide Flat Nose type.

This is a bit funny, but the first elk taken with my 45/70, the one from which I retrieved the "after" bullet, went around in a small circle a time or two and then tipped over the bank below the old forest road I was walking on.

The next year, the elk was within just feet of where the first one stood and at the shot the critter dashed up the hill a short distance, turned with the hill and dashed for another short distance, came back down to the old road and tipped over the bank within feet of the first one taken.

Both shots were at about 100yds.

This year I was sitting less then 50 feet from where the first two stood, spotted elk in the bottom of the little valley and then took the cow shown as the herd crossed the old road 161yds from where I sat.

This last elk went maybe 50 - 75 feet up the hill and tipped over. Short drag down to where I pulled the trailer with the 4wheeler.

All were down MUCH faster then it takes to tell about it.

Look at the first image of the cow shown with the trailer and you can see the red spot where the bullet entered the rib cage just a touch further back then I like. I like behind the shoulders, but I put this one back a bit. Good possibility that the cow took a step just as I released the trigger.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Excellent play by play. Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Once again, good job! Taking a critter as big as an elk with your own boolits NEVER gets old, does it?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    TXGunNut,

I believe taking and continuing to take critters with my own cast bullets equals or tops taking my first critter with my own hand load many years back.

And your correct, it doesn't get old!

CDOC

Boolit Grand Master

I remember well the story of working towards and taking your first elk with a cast boolit. You helped me with my own projects and gave me the confidence to take my first CB deer...with a 45-70 of course. Thanks again for all the help and for sharing your story with us.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats and awesome job on the write up thanks.

Congratulations Crusty! Well done!!

Boolit Buddy

It looks like the cds dial is still working for you!!!

Boolit Buddy

Congrats. One day I'll have a 45/70.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for sharing, awesome