Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Adjusting a RC press to use hornady lnl bushings/dies without adjustment

Boolit Buddy

Adjusting a RC press to use hornady lnl bushings/dies without adjustment

None of this is my own idea, saw a video on youtube and wanted to let people know that it works in case they weren't aware. I have done this for two different age RC presses (both with straight handle), so I'm sure it works with the "RC II" at a minimum.

I recently bought a hornady lnl press, which uses special bushings for each die, I have a RCBS rock chucker press that I would like to keep around for tasks that are best done on a single stage press. It is easy to convert the RC press to take LNL bushings, but the height from the die to shellholder is different than on the LNL press. My dilemma was that, as-is, I would have to adjust the dies every time I switched them between presses.

Luckily I saw a video where the guy shims a hornady single stage press to be co-height (for lack of a better term) with his LNL press. A quick check of the two showed that my RC press had about 1/8" less working height than the lnl, which was great news. I bought a set of washer shim stock on amazon and after a few trial and error sessions had two shims under the lnl adapter on the RC press that worked. Now my RC single stage is at the exact same effective height as the lnl press. I never have to adjust dies and can swap them in/out of either press as needed in seconds.

I made a couple batches of ammo and used control groups and had the same COAL ranges so I'm pretty happy to have this convenience now.

If anyone happens to know any other presses/models this works for please post them here to let people know. I would personally like to upgrade my RC press to a hornady "iron" press at some point, but only if this same thing could be done on it, anyone tried it?

Boolit Master

I have two RCBS rockchucker presses and have the LNL inserts in both. I found out yesterday that I can't switch a die with a bushing from one press to the other and expect the same results. The presses have either different ram lengths or throws and I can have one set to slightly cam over but can't even get the other to come within 1/16 of the base of the die. I wonder if the shim thing would correct the problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't it nice to be able to switch one press to the other. I did this to match my single stage to the progressive.
    Sparky45, yes that's exactly what we're doing here.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Boolit Master

Thanks Red. Andy, any link to that utube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71NYcOdMx_g
    I found this one. Shows shims under the lock n load conversion fitting.

Boolit Master

Perfect; thanks for the link.

Boolit Buddy

sparky I think this method would solve your problem, can't see any reason it would not

In that video the brass colored item is the thing I'm talking about here, a shim under the lnl conversion bushing and above the cast iron of the RC press.

I would recommend to anyone doing this that you buy a whole shim washer set (search amazon for: Steel Arbor Shim Assortment Kit, Matte, Full Hard, AISI 1008-1010 For Chemistry, 1-1/4'' ID, 1-3/4'' OD (Pack of 19)

, they are $15/set or less) unless you're really competent with metal measuring/lathe work. I found it very difficult to precisely measure the difference between the two presses (even measuring through a die) and ended up using that measurement to just get close and then trial and error with different thickness shims. Mine was about 1/8" of total shims if I remember right, so the set gives you lots of wiggle room.

When you tighten the shims/bushing down the measurement changes a bit so it is nice to have the flexibility of adding different shims so that you can really get it perfectly on down to the thousandth or so. If I tried to make one bushing and sand it to length I know I would have personally messed it up.

Boolit Master

Thanks Andy, I appreciate your info. BTW, I already have a shim assortment kit on the way.

Cast Hunter

Very interesting. I have a single stage LNL press and also a RC that I would like to convert. I'll have to try this shimming.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy

rugerfan the other video I saw (can't recall how to find it) was of a guy doing this with the latest version of the hornady "0" shaped frame press, hornady classic or something like that I think, so it should work with that as well as your RC, likely one shim kit would do you for both unless you're unlucky on the measurements.

Boolit Master

If this is the one you're referring to Andy, it's by gavintoobe and he machines his own spacer/bushing/shim to exactly fit and make both his presses equal in Ram functioning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXaB_I4nrhY

Boolit Buddy

sparky that's the one, thanks for finding it

Boolit Master

Andy, I went to my local ACE Hardware store and they had one size, 8mm. As luck would have it, that's exactly the size I needed. I installed it and they are both the same now. However, one little caveat, I have two sets of shell holders, one Lyman and one Lee. Guess what, they AREN'T the same thickness. So now I have to switch shell holders between presses to achieve the same results. Discovered that after loading a batch and then mic'n them.

Boolit Buddy

I recall someone mentioning that about the shell holders, I have an all lee set hopefully they are all the same.

I've done this on several presses using small bits of aluminum tubing, but I came to the conclusion that I never need to swap dies between the progressive and single stage presses because of how I use my machines. So for me it was more because I could lol. I can see the advantage to tuning several single stage presses to be of same height as each other.

Anyway for those wishing to measure easily the two presses just set up both using a common seating die and seat two bullets one on each press and measure the resulting COALs. This tells you how much shim to use.

Boolit Mold
    Andy,
    I have pondered the same issue as I have one of many of my small volume presses(RCBS Summit Press) as well as a fine Buchanan Hand Press where both use the propriatory Hornady L-N-L bushings. My Buchanan is a great range press and I use it primarily for my .204 Ruger, 9mm,40 S/W and a few others,no issues except when I swap the dies to my Summit Press. I was thinking that since I am looking at only a .034" difference in die headspace or 1/2 a die turn, that a shim would be easier as the Buchanan has the larger gap. I thought it might be that Redding Die could make me a custom extended shell holder as they have done for my .300 Blackout and Whisper. I'll post my findings. Thanks for your question as it struck home. Ted Bates

Boolit Grand Master

A shim under the adapters shoulder of .034 should get you very close. If your making the shim yourself then I would start at .035 and work it down, testing as you go. The shell holder shaft on the summit may be able to be adjusted also but if you raise the die .034 and the shell holder .034 your right back where you started with out the shims.

Shimming the die bushing up should get you where you want to be and work well. Some steel banding might be wide enough and close in thickness, I think I have a piece here thats 1 1/2" wide and .040 thick. Other options are 1mm gage stock (.0393 thk) 04 1/32 at .032 gage stock.

Boolit Master
    A depth micrometer can be used to find the exact distance from the top of the ram to the top of the adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I have two RCBS rockchucker presses and have the LNL inserts in both. I found out yesterday that I can't switch a die with a bushing from one press to the other and expect the same results. The presses have either different ram lengths or throws and I can have one set to slightly cam over but can't even get the other to come within 1/16 of the base of the die. I wonder if the shim thing would correct the problem?
    EDG