Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarreling a Ruger 77 questions

Boolit Master

Rebarreling a Ruger 77 questions

I have a friend that has a heavy barrel Ruger in 220 swift. While it shoots great the gun is not very packable friendly. He would like to change it to a 22-250 sporter barrel with a sporter style stock.

Bolt face will work, I believe the feed rails will work.
    I don't ever see short chambered, pre threaded barrels for Ruger 77s. Is there something oddball about rebarreling one of these?

Yes we both know the best thing is to just go buy a sporter 22-250. However if your on this site you understand.

Does anyone know where you can get pre threaded, short chambered barrels at a lower price than Shaw?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I'm not aware that anybody make a pre threaded barrel for the ruger M77, you would need to get a blank and have it threaded by a gunsmith. The feed rails may work, and they may not like they are. So they may have to be modified, and then replace the the stock. It might be feasible to go buy an M77 22-250 and be done with it.

Many smiths do not like messing with Rugers. They are notoriously difficult to remove the barrel. It's not unheard of to crack or seriously damage the receiver. They are investment castings and while VERY strong, can be a nightmare to remove the barrel.

Best to just sell it and put the money towards another rifle.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    If you remember the banned Goodsteel he can easily change out a Ruger barrel for you. I suggest that if you go that route to be very clear exactly where you want the finished product to be. If it were me I would just buy a Ruger American Ranch Carbine which folks here report achieving minute of angle results right out of the box. Recently I saw them going for as little as $333 on an auction site. So with shipping and transfer included it would be under $400. They were 223 which is not 22-250 but probably just fine especially with a fast twist. After trying the rifle I might go the money for a new trigger, but that would just be if I had nothing else to do with the money.

Boolit Grand Master

Had a customer with the same problem and we picked up a barrel on Gunbroker and swapped it out with no problem.

I've done a few dozen and never had an issue, they really aren't any different that anything else. Depending on the caliber, you may have to cut an extraction groove but I don't see that as a big deal either.

Most of my barrels are made from barrel blanks.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    If there is any difficulty or risk, I think it would apply to getting the barrel out intact. It should be safe to cut it off, bore or counterbore it out, and pick the remains out of the receiver threads.

1x16 should be the same as the Winchester 70, though it is best if you can check a Winchester barrel without actually irreversibly laying out cash, as there just might be some variation. The Ruger may need a longer thread, but there is a 1x16 Unified National Special thread for which adjustable dies aren't uncommon on eBay, and that could be used to extend the thread forward.

Boolit Master
    As of right now we are planning on buying a green mountain blank and threading, contouring ourselves.

The blanks are 25" long so I have room to mess up the threads a couple times. My old lathe is an 1894 Porter machine works. It has a little slop but I can usually get good threads by threading longer than I need and then cutting to length.

Banned

Goodsteel is not Banned.
    your welcome.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Goodsteel is not Banned.
    your welcome.
    Ain't seen him on here in awhile?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    Ain't seen him on here in awhile?
    I believe Goodsteel voluntarily removed himself from this forum.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I believe Goodsteel voluntarily removed himself from this forum.
    He was involuntarily banned and no doubt voluntarily never came back. Perhaps he didn't know he could. It is possible that he expressed himself unreasonably on threads I didn't see, but on technical issues he was a first-rate contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    He was involuntarily banned and no doubt voluntarily never came back. Perhaps he didn't know he could. It is possible that he expressed himself unreasonably on threads I didn't see, but on technical issues he was a first-rate contributor.
    My sentiments exactly! flyer

Boolit Master
    I have a tang safety 22-250 , I bought a sporter 308 barrel for it , still need to change it out, its got a bull barrel with lots of pitting on the outside, A barn gun, but bore is perfect. last time i shot it was 15+years ago killed a 275lb 8pt, 1 shot.

Boolit Master
    Can that pitted bull barrel be turned down?

Would you be interested in selling it?

Boolit Master
    With the 16 threads per inch shank a M700 Rem barrel either pull off or after market can be rethreaded to fit the M77.

Be careful of M70 barrels. Some model 70s have a fine thread pitch and would not work so hot on a M77 unless you cut the entire shank off.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Anyone notice that Larry Gibson has also gone missing along with Goodsteel? Don't know Larry, but he often had considerable experience which he shared.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Anyone notice that Larry Gibson has also gone missing along with Goodsteel? Don't know Larry, but he often had considerable experience which he shared.
    Guys,
    without commenting on what happened in the past, both Goodsteel and Larry Gibson are reachable via PM. Runfiverun is correct in that Goodsteel is not banned. However he is not able to post on the forum for some reason, but his PM function seems to work just fine.

And yes, rebarreling a Ruger is everyday work for Tim Malcolm. He fitted an FN varmint barrel to my ho-hum Ruger Gunsite scout rifle with excellent results.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a tang safety 77 Ruger rebarreled about 6 years ago. Recall reading about the Ruger sometimes a problem rebarreling.....gunsmiths didn't like working on them and etc. Took my Ruger to a local guy, who while a machinist by trade, had done gun smith work on the side for 40 plus years. Asked him about re-barreling my Ruger. Basically, he told me he'd re-barreled a fair number of them and never had a problem doing one. Had the rifle back within a week.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    Guys,
    without commenting on what happened in the past, both Goodsteel and Larry Gibson are reachable via PM. Runfiverun is correct in that Goodsteel is not banned. However he is not able to post on the forum for some reason, but his PM function seems to work just fine.

And yes, rebarreling a Ruger is everyday work for Tim Malcolm. He fitted an FN varmint barrel to my ho-hum Ruger Gunsite scout rifle with excellent results.
    Bjorn knows where the barrel came from, but I wanted to expand on the barrel more.

The Barrel came from a FN-SPR rifle, which is really just a souped up model 70 CRF. It was a chrome lined, heavy barrel that was extremely accurate. I miss that barrel sometimes, lol.

If I remember correctly, the barrel didn't require much work at all to go on the Ruger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast