Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Another great little tool from NOE

Another great little tool from NOE

I just received my latest order from NOE in todays mail. Among the items ordered were Al's gas check expanding rams. One thing I've found to be a constant problem is one mans idea of gas check shank size and another mans idea of check size. Up until today I've made my own expanders out of bolt shanks and used my drill press as a means to supply the leverage. (Thanks for this idea Ben) Also, I have a 3" 7/8X14 bolt that I use in my presses to arbor press leverage when needed. This bolt works fine as an opposing face to the NOE expanding rams or an opposing face die can be ordered from NOE. Great little tool Al. Thanks Gp

Banned

I took advantage of the last sale to get the gas check expanders and some other useful items. NOE really fill a lot of different needs for us in addition to molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I went whole hog on Al's (Brad's, actually) gas check flaring tools. 1 stop shank, 10 snap-out flaring wedges from 22 to 45.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

I never heard of this tool! A regular user of NOE moulds, I just checked the rams out (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=432). Except -- once again I illustrate my ignorance re them. Do these fit in, say, a Lyman 45, or a Star, or a press? Do you need but one die for all rams? I couldn't seem to find any instructions... As a btw, I generally use copper gas checks, and the one I'd wish to expand is for 10mm bullets - the 'checks I have surely are two and one-half smidgeons (technical term) too small.
    Any "light" will be appreciated. Thanks.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

It's designed to work in a reloading press.

That looks oddly familiar to one I made...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=280949

Glad someone is offering up a solution for this. NOE is a great shop with great products.
    Last edited by berksglh; 12-18-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Hello George; The Noe expanders are a simple little device that are just a bevel top ram that fits in your loading press just like a shell holder. You place the check on the beveled top and bring it up against a flat surface to expand the check. The ones I bought for my most problematic calibers work so well that I'm going to get one for each caliber I load. Thanks for your interest. Gp

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you gpidaho,berksglh,and dragon813gt! NOE's prices seem reasonable enough, and I have 200 10mm cases I wish to load before spring -- generally mid-May up here ! And, I have a 1/2-coffee can of cast bullets. I have a sick Lyman 450 (prior owner tried improving (?) it, and I became intermediary before the recycle bin) which should work just dandy as a dedicated gas check expander! Usually I have regrets shortly after a discard -- maybe this time (keeping that 450) I got lucky? I'm kind of (Xmas) cash shy right now, but one of these will be on my "buy it!" list. One needs buy one expander for each caliber; but, just one die works for all?
    BEST!
    geo

Correct George, the die will work with all and may or may not be better than what I'm using. I went to a local machine shop and bought a 3" 7/8X14 bolt some time back so I could use my loading presses as arbor presses and this seems to work just fine as an opposing face. I did file the face of the bolt flat. Gp

Got the GC expander for 30cal. Expanded ~ 1/2 of the used GC I have, you know, the ones from boolits you pull or recycle. Only real problem is getting them centered on the expander. Other wise I'll just use it for PC before GCing. It works well.
    Whatever!

I read this thread and started to order a bunch of GC expander dies and discovered that there is no 30 cal listed? Are they out?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Grand Master

They must be because I have one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would imagine that 30 and 38 calibers are the most in-demand tools of this sort, since a lot more moulds get made in these calibers for gas check designs than most other "common" calibers.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Vendor Sponsor
    This is the tool that I made for expanding my 338 checks. You simply put the check on the truncated cone and raise it against the flat anvil. Some like to stick to the cone and I use a pocket knife to lift them gently. They come off easily.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cast Hunter

Yes, NOE makes some handy tools. I have recently gotten check expanders, push through sizers, nose sizers and expander plugs (like M dies). Quality and craftsmanship is outstanding as always.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I went whole hog on Al's (Brad's, actually) gas check flaring tools. 1 stop shank, 10 snap-out flaring wedges from 22 to 45.
    Took advantage of the 15% sale to get a few thousand gas checks. His case expanders are fabulous. I'll buy my first NOE mold this spring.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Been tinkering with the NOE GC expander on some of Josh's GCs. Al needs to put a slight straight part for centering the GC. Can't keep them on the post while raising the ram. I did find (when my fat fingers allow) to bump the ram a little helps centering, then expand. Need to put a lock ring on mine to allow adjustment of the amount of expanding. So far I'm back to tapping with a hammer then using the sizer ram & anvil to square them up.
    Whatever!

One of my fav's is the trimmer for bullet bases. Even the least little bit of flashing on the base makes gas checks a PITA, this tool from NOE takes it right off with an outside chamfer. Manual for just doing a few, drill or electric screwdriver version for production output. Some dies give me little issue with the base so manual works, another one or two I might as well just do them all up front, less hassle.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 03-07-2017 at 03:31 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat