RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 54bore LOOKIE HERE

Boolit Master

54bore LOOKIE HERE

Hope the pics show up 3 separate balls, tha last one has the bottom lube groove filled with bore butter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1209161551_Burst01_resized.jpg   0528161716_Burst01(1).jpg   0704161148_Burst01.jpg  

Looks nice. Are you going to shoot them with only one lube groove filled?

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)

Perma-Banned
    Looks good trigger! Here are my 5 .54 Cal Attachment 182899 axi's poured from my molds, the top 2 are Maxi Hunters, and the bottom 3 are Maxi Balls

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A gentle correction on terminology, a 54-bore would describe a firearm of a gage equalling 54 balls to the pound, approximately 129 grains each or about 11mm in diameter.

What you have is a .54-inch CALIBER, barrel.

Not the same as a 5-inch 54 Caliber GUN. which refers to the diameter of the bore and length of gun tube in CALIBERS (multiples of the bore diameter), such as this USN Mk42:

Attachment 182900
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A gentle correction on terminology, a 54-bore would describe a firearm of a gage equalling 54 balls to the pound, approximately 129 grains each or about 11mm in diameter.

What you have is a .54-inch CALIBER, barrel.

Not the same as a 5-inch 54 Caliber GUN. which refers to the diameter of the bore and length of gun tube in CALIBERS (multiples of the bore diameter), such as this USN Mk42:

Attachment 182900
    You must be referring to my log in name 'Handle'? It just sounded cool so i went with it. My real name is 'Lewis Monteith' if that makes any difference?
    Last edited by 54bore; 12-17-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    outpost stepped into a conversation that was already in progress..... not knowing of the previous subject.LOL its all good.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Tatume;3878251]Looks nice. Are you going to shoot them with only one lube groove filled?

QUOTE: I actually do shoot them lubed like this. I find them to group better than completely fulll of lube.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=54bore;3878398]Looks good trigger! Here are my 5 .54 Cal Attachment 182899 maxi's poured from my molds, the top 2 are Maxi Hunters, and the bottom 3 are Maxi Balls

QUOTE: the bottom left is the mold i have. they drop at 435 gr. I only lube the lower groove. I do not size them or use a felt wad, but I want to try that next.

Boolit Master
    Picture of the gun?

Boolit Master
    who's gun?

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    any gun, pictures are always good! Haha draw one with a crayon, I'll look

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    You must be referring to my log in name 'Handle'? It just sounded cool so i went with it. My real name is 'Lewis Monteith' if that makes any difference?
    ROTFLMAO~! Time for Mk42Gunner to check in now...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    any gun, pictures are always good! Haha draw one with a crayon, I'll look
    Here ya go Squeeze! Attachment 182926

Perma-Banned

Perma-Banned
    Those targets are shot with the above rifles, Both are Renegades with Green Mountain LRH Barrels, Blued barrel is my .45, and the Stainless is my .50 i sure as heck wish i could find one of these barrels in 54 Caliber! I have yet to see a .54 Green Mountain LRH (fast twist) seen plenty of .45 and .50s but not a single one in .54 Cal

Perma-Banned
    Both the above targets were shot at a ranged 85 yards, both are 5 shot groups, i pour both of these bullets, the 45 is an 11MM rifle bullet with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper then sized DRY through my .448 sizing die. My 50 Cal bullets are from a Lee Mold, 500 S&W bullet, 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper and sized DRY through my .498 sizing die. I use Swiss 2F powder in both of these rifles. These rifles make it REALLY REALLY hard for me to like messing with Lubing Max Balls! LOL! Paper Patched and sized are the way i prefer to roll!!!

Boolit Master
    our range is divided up at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I need to go out and shoot this 54 again. I envy your groups. My eyesight is more of a handicap for me. I need new glasses. I will try a different target design to afford me a better sight hold.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    our range is divided up at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I need to go out and shoot this 54 again. I envy your groups. My eyesight is more of a handicap for me. I need new glasses. I will try a different target design to afford me a better sight hold.
    Trigger, i am in the EXACT same boat as you with my eyesight, i nearly cut my right eye in half working in the woods, i am a Timber Faller at trade (had to have my eye stitched) My eyesight in my right eye has never been the same since i cut it. Me and open sights just dont work anymore! I found that i can shoot a peep sight really well tho! All 5 of my muzzleloaders are set up with peep sights, i use the Tang mounted Lyman 57SML peep, and Lyman 17AHB Globe front sight with a Lee Shaver insert, you get 2 different post beads in the Lee Shaver Card, i like both of them, the largest of the 2 for hunting and the smallest for target work. The Lyman 17 Globes come with a full set of inserts but they are not even close to the Lee Shaver inserts!! I will take a pic of the difference of the Lyman and Shaver inserts and post it here. The peep sight setup is kinda spendy but its a must for me!

Perma-Banned

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast